[sci.electronics] PAL / NTSC conversions in VCRs.

trondst@mack.uit.no (Trond S. Trondsen) (06/12/91)

I just saw a VCR that could play both PAL and NTSC videocassettes (to
any format TV I guess?).  My question is how they DO it?  Is it
done digitally?  Does there exist any literature on the subject? I need
this info for a M.Engg project.

ANY pointers are VERY appreciated.

trond
LA1OEA

Bjorn.B.Larsen@delab.sintef.no (Bjorn B. Larsen) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun12.110317.2637@mack.uit.no> trondst@mack.uit.no (Trond S. Trondsen) writes:

>   I just saw a VCR that could play both PAL and NTSC videocassettes (to
>   any format TV I guess?).  My question is how they DO it?  Is it
>   done digitally?  Does there exist any literature on the subject? I need
>   this info for a M.Engg project.
>
>   ANY pointers are VERY appreciated.

>   trond
>   LA1OEA

Usually, at least as far as I have observed, a VCR capable of playing both
NTSC and PAL has one NTSC part and one PAL part.  That is: To view a PAL
cassette, you need the player *and* a PAL compatible monitor.  To view an
NTSC cassette you need the player *and* an NTSC compatible monitor.

I just went through this some months ago when I had an NTSC cassette and
wanted to play it throug a video projector.  It worked out fine when I got
the right player (could read PAL,NTSC,SECAM) and video projector.

Bjorn

               s-mail:                 e-mail:
|   |   |      Bjorn. B. Larsen        bjorn.b.larsen@delab.sintef.no
|__ |__ |      SINTEF DELAB
|  \|  \|      N-7034 TRONDHEIM        tel: +47-7-592682 / 592600
|__/|__/|_     NORWAY                  fax: +47-7-594302

alewis@gmuvax2.gmu.edu ( ) (06/14/91)

In article <BJORN.B.LARSEN.91Jun12141645@engels.delab.sintef.no> Bjorn.B.Larsen@delab.sintef.no (Bjorn B. Larsen) writes:
>In article <1991Jun12.110317.2637@mack.uit.no> trondst@mack.uit.no (Trond S. Trondsen) writes:
>
>>   I just saw a VCR that could play both PAL and NTSC videocassettes (to
>>   any format TV I guess?).  My question is how they DO it?  Is it
>>   done digitally?  Does there exist any literature on the subject? I need
>>   this info for a M.Engg project.
>>
>>   ANY pointers are VERY appreciated.
>
>>   trond
>>   LA1OEA
>
>Usually, at least as far as I have observed, a VCR capable of playing both
>NTSC and PAL has one NTSC part and one PAL part.  That is: To view a PAL
>cassette, you need the player *and* a PAL compatible monitor.  To view an
>NTSC cassette you need the player *and* an NTSC compatible monitor.
>
>I just went through this some months ago when I had an NTSC cassette and
>wanted to play it throug a video projector.  It worked out fine when I got
>the right player (could read PAL,NTSC,SECAM) and video projector.
>
>Bjorn
>

>--
>               s-mail:                 e-mail:
>|   |   |      Bjorn. B. Larsen        bjorn.b.larsen@delab.sintef.no
>|__ |__ |      SINTEF DELAB
>|  \|  \|      N-7034 TRONDHEIM        tel: +47-7-592682 / 592600
>|__/|__/|_     NORWAY                  fax: +47-7-594302

This is how most of them work.  I used to use a Panasonic (6200E?) with
a Sony multimode monitor.  However, I recall seeing an advertisement
recently for a VCR that could play PAL/NTSC/SECAM tapes with a single
NTSC output.  Unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw it.  If I find
out, I will post more information.

Alan  (:^|

tindle@ms.uky.edu (Ken Tindle) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun13.182551.8188@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> alewis@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (  ) writes:
>This is how most of them work.  I used to use a Panasonic (6200E?) with
>a Sony multimode monitor.  However, I recall seeing an advertisement
>recently for a VCR that could play PAL/NTSC/SECAM tapes with a single
>NTSC output.  Unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw it.  If I find
>out, I will post more information.

Panasonic has the new AG-W1, which plays or records NTSC/PAL/SECAM tapes,
and requires an NTSC-only monitor only.  Works very nicely, too.

I know Video Service of America has 'em at about $1550.

--------------------------\ /-----------------------------------------------
INTERNET:tindle@ms.uky.edu | "Could you please continue the petty bickering?
BITNET: tindle@ukma.bitnet |  I find it most intriguing."   ---    Data,
Ken Tindle - Lexington, KY |  Star Trek, The Next Generation, "Haven"
--------------------------/ \-----------------------------------------------

hakanl@lulea.telesoft.se (H}kan Lennest}l) (06/17/91)

Bjorn.B.Larsen@delab.sintef.no (Bjorn B. Larsen) writes:
> Usually, at least as far as I have observed, a VCR capable of playing both
> NTSC and PAL has one NTSC part and one PAL part.  That is: To view a PAL
> cassette, you need the player *and* a PAL compatible monitor.  To view an
> NTSC cassette you need the player *and* an NTSC compatible monitor.
>
> I just went through this some months ago when I had an NTSC cassette and
> wanted to play it throug a video projector.  It worked out fine when I got
> the right player (could read PAL,NTSC,SECAM) and video projector.
>
> Bjorn

Many of the recent PAL/NTSC compatible videos I know of here in europe does always
output the color information in PAL. When a NTSC casette is played the monitor
receives 60 Hz/525 lines and otherwise 50 Hz/625 lines.
Most of the newer (1-2 years old) PAL TVs/Monitors will synchronize on either.

/Hakan