[sci.electronics] Police Radar Frequency Info

sdorsey@eng.umd.edu (Bill Dorsey) (06/14/91)

I'm working with some RAM (Radar Absorbing Material) here at work, and
it occured to me that an ideal application for the stuff would be to radar-
proof my car against police radar.  I know police use X and K band radar
to clock traffic.  X band goes from 8-10GHZ, and K band something like
18-27GHZ.  Now, I can get RAM that absorbs frequencies in the 8-10GHZ
band with a minimum of 20dB of attenuation at 8 and 10GHZ, and 30dB of
attenuation at 9GHZ.  Theoretically, this will reduce the reflected signal
strength on the areas covered with this material by over 100 times.  This
should result in much decreased range of the police radar.

I run into a problem with the K-band.  It's too wide for the RAM to work
effectively on.  Since the K-band is subdivided into a number of sub-bands
(Ka, Ku, for example), I was wondering if anyone knows which band(s), other
than the Ka band (for photo-radar) the police use?  Around here, K-band
radar is used more frequently than X-band, so I'd feel better protected
with K-band police radar protection than X-band.

If anyone else is interested in obtaining some RAM for experimentation, I
can supply ordering information upon request.  It costs around $55 per
square foot (typically, a minimum order is 4 square feet).  You don't need
to cover a lot of your car, just metal surfaces that reflect radar back
in the direction you're travelling (rear-view mirrors, bumper, possibly
part of the hood, etc.).

- Bill Dorsey   (sdorsey@eng.umd.edu)

gd@erg.sri.com (Greg DesBrisay) (06/15/91)

Bill,

I called up Cininatti Microwave (1-800-543-1608) (a maker of radar
detectors) and spoke to a technical rep there about your question.
She said that their detectors listen in frequency bands centered at
10.525 GHz and 24.150 GHz, and that those bands are only a few MHz
wide.

Greg DesBrisay
gd@sri.com

bdhall@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Brian D Hall) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.143930.28999@eng.umd.edu>, sdorsey@eng.umd.edu (Bill Dorsey) writes:
> I'm working with some RAM (Radar Absorbing Material) here at work, and
> it occured to me that an ideal application for the stuff would be to radar-
> proof my car against police radar.  I know police use X and K band radar

	Aren't such applications illegal?

   Brian Hall

sdkuo@argo.acs.oakland.edu (Steve Kuo) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.211314.16835@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, bdhall@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Brian D Hall) writes:
>In article <1991Jun14.143930.28999@eng.umd.edu>, sdorsey@eng.umd.edu (Bill Dorsey) writes:
>> I'm working with some RAM (Radar Absorbing Material) here at work, and
>> it occured to me that an ideal application for the stuff would be to radar-
>> proof my car against police radar.  I know police use X and K band radar
>
>	Aren't such applications illegal?
>
>   Brian Hall

Why would that be illegal?  He is simply adding material to his car (same
as painting your car or adding ground effects).  It just happens to be
that police radar can not reflect from that material (unless there is a
law saying that all cars MUST be able to reflect microwave signals).

By the way, what color is this radar absorbing material?  Is it a paint/paste
or like a thin sticker?

Steven D. Kuo     N8OPH
VMS:         sdkuo@argo.acs.oakland.edu
Ultrix:      sdkuo@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Oakland University, Rochester, Michigan, USA

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (06/16/91)

In article <7260@vela.acs.oakland.edu> sdkuo@argo.acs.oakland.edu writes:
>In article bdhall@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Brian D Hall) writes:
>>In article sdorsey@eng.umd.edu (Bill Dorsey) writes:
>>>...RAM (Radar Absorbing Material)...an ideal application...would be to
>>>radar- proof my car against police radar.

>>	Aren't such applications illegal?

>Why would that be illegal?  He is simply adding material to his car...

   Actually, legally, under several conditions that is illegal in this
country.  If the state can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the
accused added such material to the car with the intention of impacting
the states ability to inform uniform regulations, then it is illegal.
However, if it is added to the car simply because it looks neat or he
likes it, then there's nothing wrong.  Further, there are actually about
a dozen different crimes that would be committed, if proof existed.
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

ken@sugra.uucp (Kenneth Ng) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun14.211314.16835@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, bdhall@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Brian D Hall) writes:
: In article <1991Jun14.143930.28999@eng.umd.edu>, sdorsey@eng.umd.edu (Bill Dorsey) writes:
: > I'm working with some RAM (Radar Absorbing Material) here at work, and
: > it occured to me that an ideal application for the stuff would be to radar-
: > proof my car against police radar.  I know police use X and K band radar
: 	Aren't such applications illegal?
:    Brian Hall

Active jamming of radar signals is illegal, passive absorbtion should not
be.  So far I have not seen any requirements for cars to have a minimum
reflectivity.

--
Kenneth Ng
Please reply to ken@hertz.njit.edu until this machine properly recieves mail.

wolfgang@wsrcc.com (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) (06/17/91)

sdorsey@eng.umd.edu (Bill Dorsey) writes:
>I'm working with some RAM (Radar Absorbing Material) here at work, and
>it occured to me that an ideal application for the stuff would be to radar-
>proof my car against police radar.  I know police use X and K band radar
>to clock traffic.  X band goes from 8-10GHZ, and K band something like
>18-27GHZ.  Now, I can get RAM that absorbs frequencies in the 8-10GHZ
>band with a minimum of 20dB of attenuation at 8 and 10GHZ, and 30dB of
>attenuation at 9GHZ.  Theoretically, this will reduce the reflected signal
>strength on the areas covered with this material by over 100 times.  This
>should result in much decreased range of the police radar.

I recall an article about making a stealth RX-7 a few years ago.  Part
of the method was to use radar-absorbing foam.  The most effective
application of this was to the front end of the car where the bumpers
and hood presented a near vertical reflector back to the radar source.
Naturely the article was called something like "The Worlds Oldest
Trick - Foam Under the Bra".

The author went on to classify the various radar reflectors he found
on the car.  The biggest two were the radiator and the seat backs.
Angling the radiator down by a few degrees and replacing the factory
metal-core seats with fiberglass reinforced ones did worked wonders
for the author.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht    wolfgang@wsrcc.com (or) uunet!wsrcc!wolfgang
Snail Mail Address:   Box 6524, Alexandria, VA 22306-0524

gt0869a@prism.gatech.EDU (WATERS,CLYDE GORDON) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun14.211314.16835@en.ecn.purdue.edu> bdhall@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Brian D Hall) writes:
>In article <1991Jun14.143930.28999@eng.umd.edu>, sdorsey@eng.umd.edu (Bill Dorsey) writes:
>> I'm working with some RAM (Radar Absorbing Material) here at work, and
>> it occured to me that an ideal application for the stuff would be to radar-
>> proof my car against police radar.  I know police use X and K band radar
>
>	Aren't such applications illegal?

From my observations the only things they can get you for is actively
recieving or transmitting radar rf (read jammers, etc) Passive stuff
should be fair game. After all, there are no laws stating that you can't
absorb rf. (as far as I know) Someone please correct if they know of
such laws regulating absorbtion. I believe there are none simply because
it has never come up.
Regards,
Gordon.

--
WATERS,CLYDE GORDON-Georgia Institute of Technology Atlanta Ga 30332
******<LANGUAGE IS A VIRUS! - Laurie Anderson-Home of the Brave>*******

ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) (06/18/91)

>> I'm working with some RAM (Radar Absorbing Material) here at work, and
>> it occured to me that an ideal application for the stuff would be to radar-
>> proof my car against police radar.  I know police use X and K band radar
>
> 	Aren't such applications illegal?

   HaHaHaHaHa!.........     No, these things are not illegal, and I
   am not laughing at that.  The thing about having RAM is fine and
   dandy, but as you will find out (just as I did) is that the
   shape and size of those things are so funny, your car will look
   like a chameleon with overgrown spikes. The size: about 2 feet
   high, and shaped like a pyramid. Hope you can visualise this.
   Your aerodynamics get all messed up, you get wind whistle, and all
   kinds of unwanted stuff. And the worst part of it is that it will
   still not save you from radar. Why? Because there will still be
   parts of your car which will not have RAM on it. Like your
   windshield, or for that matter, lights' lenses.

   I attended a seminar at Univ. of Michigan, and the Prof gave a
   neat lecture about radar, and told us about how those things
   worked, and what you can do about it. There is only one fool proof
   way to stop getting a speeding ticket. And that is to use transit.
   :-)

   The only thing that is illegal, is to transmit. You can receive
   or absorb all you want.

   But don't listen to me. Have fun! :-)

   Shailendra
   ssave@caen.engin.umich.edu