[sci.electronics] PLD programmers

cep4478@isc.rit.edu (C.E. Piggott) (06/12/91)

Hello. I got no responses whatsoever with regard to my query about
how PLD programmers work...is is that there is a massive void of
knowledge in this area, or does nobody care?  1/2 :-)

What I'm looking for is how the devices get programmed, for instance
a 16L8: what pins do what during programming? What is the programming
voltage?  I would like to build a PLD programmer rather than pay the
absurd prices I've seen them for in stores.

Chris

--
Christopher E. Piggott, WZ2B                    cep4478@ultb.isc.rit.edu
President                                       wz2b.ampr [44.69.0.1]

cyborg@kauri.vuw.ac.nz (Alex Ivopol) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun11.220000.12522@isc.rit.edu> cep4478@ultb.rit.edu (C.E. Piggott) writes:

>Hello. I got no responses whatsoever with regard to my query about
>how PLD programmers work...is is that there is a massive void of
>knowledge in this area, or does nobody care?  1/2 :-)
>
>What I'm looking for is how the devices get programmed, for instance
>a 16L8: what pins do what during programming? What is the programming
>voltage?  I would like to build a PLD programmer rather than pay the
>absurd prices I've seen them for in stores.
>
>Chris

Check out the BYTE magazine, late 1986 to early 1987. The relevant issue
should have on the cover something like "Programmable Hardware". In it there
is a feature on PALs, how they work and how to program them. There is also
a circuit diagram of a PAL programmer. Have fun.

--
Alex T. Ivopol                       Contracted by Computing Services Centre,
cyborg@kauri.vuw.ac.nz                  Victoria University of Wellington,

fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip Gieszczykiewicz) (06/14/91)

>Check out the BYTE magazine, late 1986 to early 1987. The relevant issue
>should have on the cover something like "Programmable Hardware". In it there
>is a feature on PALs, how they work and how to program them. There is also
>a circuit diagram of a PAL programmer. Have fun.

	Greetings. Not only that, make sure to look at the next few
	issues for error corrections. I believe there were 2 such
	corrections. One of them involved the logic formulas (oops ;-)

	By the way, after I finish the "smart" EPROM programmer in the
	'86 issue, I'll try the PLD one...

	Take care.

"The Force will be with you, always." It _is_ with me and has been for 11 years
Filip Gieszczykiewicz  "... a Jedi does it with a mind trick... " ;-)
FMGST@PITTVMS  or  fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu "My ideas. ALL MINE!!"

gomez@floyd.dab.ge.com (Frank Gomez) (06/15/91)

In an old issue of Byte Magazine (sorry can't remember the date, but
from 85 to 89) there is a complete circuit and discussion of such a
programmer.  Also, you can find the information in some of the data
books which contain PALs.

stout@hpsciz.sc.hp.com (Tim Stoutamore) (06/15/91)

   For PLD programming info, I would recommend Cypress Semiconductor's
Databooks.  Cypress is the only company I know of that puts all the
information you need to program their parts right there in the databook.
And they have the commonly used parts like 22V10's, 16L8's, etc.  There
is enough information included that you could build your own programmer.

Tim Stoutamore
HP Santa Clara

In article <1991Jun11.220000.12522@isc.rit.edu> cep4478@ultb.rit.edu (C.E. Piggott) writes:
>What I'm looking for is how the devices get programmed, for instance
>a 16L8: what pins do what during programming? What is the programming
>voltage? ...

Most PLD companies, alas, will not tell you.
--
"We're thinking about upgrading from    | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

mzenier@polari.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (06/18/91)

In article <23480001@hpsciz.sc.hp.com> stout@hpsciz.sc.hp.com (Tim Stoutamore) writes:
>   For PLD programming info, I would recommend Cypress Semiconductor's
>Databooks.  Cypress is the only company I know of that puts all the
>information you need to program their parts right there in the databook.
>And they have the commonly used parts like 22V10's, 16L8's, etc.  There
>is enough information included that you could build your own programmer.

Even then, some of the fancier parts don't have the programming info.

See also

Electronics & Wireless World, February 1989, "EPLD programmer design"
(A programmer for some Cypress parts)

Mark Zenier  markz@ssc.uucp  mzenier@polari.uucp