[sci.electronics] How do 3M Stormscopes work?

thompson@cactus.org (Charles Thompson) (06/17/91)

I saw mention that 3M had sold its Stormscope division.
This device is apparently a very useful adjunct to weather
radar when navigating through/around thunder storms.

As I understand it, the thing 'listens' to lightning static
and generates a radar-like display.

Anybody out there famailiar with this gizmo?
What frequencies/antennas does a stormscope use?

Thanks in advance,
Charlie

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (06/17/91)

In article <7575@cactus.org> thompson@cactus.org (Charles Thompson) writes:
>...3M...sold its Stormscope division. ...(a) useful adjunct to weather
>radar when navigating through/around thunder storms.
>...the thing 'listens' to lightning static and generates a radar-like display.
>What frequencies/antennas does a stormscope use?

   When in doubt, open your big mouth and insert foot. I'll give it a try. 8-)
As I understand it, the storm scope is a frequency passive, non-intrusive
type device.  The 'input' is a set/series of different rc filter sets. The
time correlation, base frequency, and frequency correlation information are
put together, compared or run through a mathematical model, and the resulting
black magic ends up with a time-delayed, averaged 3d display.
   Static electricity is formed in all weather fronts. SOme of this radiates
in the form of RF. The amplitude is a indication of force/severity, short
time intervals between bursts is another.  frequency is a indication of
altitude, and the echo off the earth (at certain freq's) and echo off the
atmosphere (at certain frequencies) are good triangulation references.
Taking that info, and adding a time and location averaging to identify
or eliminate a 'bad' or error data point, allows a great deal of freedom
in allowable variance.  The end result, the averaged information is used to
form either a monochrome or color-highlighted/scaled-monochrome scope display.

al
--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

flloyd@L1-A.West.Sun.COM (Fred Lloyd SUN Phoenix SE 602-275-5537 x17) (06/18/91)

In article <7575@cactus.org> thompson@cactus.org (Charles Thompson) writes:
>...3M...sold its Stormscope division. ...(a) useful adjunct to weather
>radar when navigating through/around thunder storms.
>...the thing 'listens' to lightning static and generates a radar-like display.
>What frequencies/antennas does a stormscope use?

I had the good fortune of attending an air show back in 1980 where
the Stormscope was first being shown (I beleive the manufacturer
was Ryan at that time - later bought by 3M).  There were manufacturer's
reps there and the following is what I remember:

The unit has a small, flat antenna which attaches to the outside of
the fuselage of the aircraft, usually on the bottom.  The unit senses
static electricity, mostly generated from wind shear.  It was told to
me that whenever two currents of air shear (as in a storm), there are
electric currents which comensurate with the rate at which the opposing
winds are meeting.  Lightening is apparently not the primary focus of
this instrument.

I don't know (or remember) much more.

-fred

--
| Fred Lloyd  AA7BQ                        Fred.Lloyd@West.sun.com |
| Sun Microsystems, Inc.                             ...sun!flloyd |