[sci.electronics] Japanese Equipment in USA

jim@fuji.eng.Yale.edu (James J. Szinger) (06/10/91)

With all the posts about US/Europe power conversion, I have a
subtle variation to ask:

We will be having a visitor from Japan in out lab this summer,
and he is wondering if his 100V Japanese electrical equipment
will work on North American 120V/60Hz electricity.  What's the
line frequency in Japan?  Can his equipment tolerate this much
deviation from nominal without undue risk to life, limb, and
property?  If not, is there an easy way to get it to work.

Thanks,

Jim
--
James J. Szinger                  Becton Center
jim@fuji.eng.yale.edu             15 Prospect Street

frankb@hpsad.HP.COM (Frank Ball) (06/11/91)

/ jim@fuji.eng.Yale.edu (James J. Szinger) /  2:33 am  Jun 10, 1991 /
*We will be having a visitor from Japan in out lab this summer,
*and he is wondering if his 100V Japanese electrical equipment
*will work on North American 120V/60Hz electricity.  What's the
*line frequency in Japan?  Can his equipment tolerate this much
*deviation from nominal without undue risk to life, limb, and
*property?  If not, is there an easy way to get it to work.

I think they use 50 Hz in Japan.  The voltage difference is more likely
to cause problems than the frequency difference.  I wouldn't try to use
anything with with electronics in it, the filter capacitors are likely to
explode.  You need to get a step down transformer to convert down to 100 V.

Frank Ball   frankb@hpsad.HP.COM   pyramid!hplabs!hpsad!frankb

fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip Gieszczykiewicz) (06/11/91)

In article <1840047@hpsad.HP.COM> frankb@hpsad.HP.COM (Frank Ball) writes:
>/ jim@fuji.eng.Yale.edu (James J. Szinger) /  2:33 am  Jun 10, 1991 /
>*We will be having a visitor from Japan in out lab this summer,
>*and he is wondering if his 100V Japanese electrical equipment
>*will work on North American 120V/60Hz electricity.  What's the

	Greetings. I have 2 Xformers just for this purpose. One gives
	4A @ 100 Vac (125v in) and the other is, a little less, 2.5A.

	If the original poster is interested, send me e-mail.

	Take care.

	(Hey, our mailer wants more new test than old text to post
	a message.... so, the next 5 lines are _just_ for that ;-)

"The Force will be with you, always." It _is_ with me and has been for 11 years
Filip Gieszczykiewicz  "... a Jedi does it with a mind trick... " ;-)
FMGST@PITTVMS  or  fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu "My ideas. ALL MINE!!"

myers@hpfcrlm.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (06/11/91)

>We will be having a visitor from Japan in out lab this summer,
>and he is wondering if his 100V Japanese electrical equipment
>will work on North American 120V/60Hz electricity.  What's the
>line frequency in Japan?  Can his equipment tolerate this much

Unfortunately, the answer to this depends on where in Japan he's coming from;
the line frequency for Tokyo/Yokohama and *north* is 60 Hz. For the southern
part of Japan - south of a line across Honshu, roughly east-west just south
of Yokohama - it's 50 Hz.  Believe it or don't!

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
myers@fc.hp.com                          |  sentient life-form on this planet.

edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) (06/12/91)

In article <1840047@hpsad.HP.COM> frankb@hpsad.HP.COM (Frank Ball) writes:
>/ jim@fuji.eng.Yale.edu (James J. Szinger) /  2:33 am  Jun 10, 1991 /
>*We will be having a visitor from Japan in out lab this summer,
>*and he is wondering if his 100V Japanese electrical equipment
>*will work on North American 120V/60Hz electricity.  What's the
>*line frequency in Japan?  Can his equipment tolerate this much
>*deviation from nominal without undue risk to life, limb, and
>*property?  If not, is there an easy way to get it to work.
>
>I think they use 50 Hz in Japan.  The voltage difference is more likely
>to cause problems than the frequency difference.  I wouldn't try to use
>anything with with electronics in it, the filter capacitors are likely to
>explode.  You need to get a step down transformer to convert down to 100 V.

Have him check with the manufacturer(s).  Chances are he'll have no
problem, at least for electronic gear.  But you'd best have him check;
some gear might overheat (although I doubt the filter caps will
pop...)  Of course, if it says something like "100-120V 50-60Hz" on
the back right above the power cord (or thereabouts), he has nothing
to worry about.

Frequency-sensitive gear (clocks, etc.) may or may not have problems; part
of Japan is on 50Hz, while part is on 60Hz!  It will depend upon where
he lives now, and whether the gear is easily re-configured for 60Hz (if
it happens to be 50Hz).

		-Ed Hall
		edhall@rand.org

aki@ss.titech.ac.jp (Akinori NISHIHARA) (06/17/91)

In article <17660170@hpfcrlm.HP.COM> myers@hpfcrlm.HP.COM (Bob Myers) writes:
>the answer to this depends on where in Japan he's coming from;
>the line frequency for Tokyo/Yokohama and *north* is 60 Hz. For the southern
>part of Japan - south of a line across Honshu, roughly east-west just south
>of Yokohama - it's 50 Hz.  Believe it or don't!

Don't believe that!     Just opposite.     We use 50Hz in eastern Japan
including Tokyo and Yokohama, and 60Hz in western Japan including Osaka, etc.

Akinori Nishihara		  Phone:    +81 3 3726 1111 ext.2560
Tokyo Institute of Technology	  Fax:      +81 3 3729 1399
2-12-1, Ookayama, Meguro-ku,      E-mail:   aki@ss.titech.ac.jp
Tokyo, 152 Japan		  Packet Radio: JH1AMP@JI1ZMW.#12.JNET1.JP.AS

myers@hpfcrlm.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (06/19/91)

>>the answer to this depends on where in Japan he's coming from;
>>the line frequency for Tokyo/Yokohama and *north* is 60 Hz. For the southern
>>part of Japan - south of a line across Honshu, roughly east-west just south
>>of Yokohama - it's 50 Hz.  Believe it or don't!

>Don't believe that!     Just opposite.     We use 50Hz in eastern Japan
>including Tokyo and Yokohama, and 60Hz in western Japan including Osaka, etc.

Thanks for the correction!  It's been a while since I had to worry about
such things, so I probably should've checked to make sure I hadn't gotten
turned around - which, apparently, I had.

Looks like my geography is a little rusty, too - but for some reason, I
always think of Honshu as oriented mainly north-south, while the Japanese
(who should know, after all) consider it more east-west.  (The map says
sorta NE-SW, so you pays your dime and you takes your choice, I guess.)

Bob Myers            | "There's no sense in being precise when you don't even
myers%hpfcla@hplabs. |  know what you're talking about."
hp.com               |                        - John von Neumann