[sci.electronics] finding teeny parts you dropREAD/NEW

grahaf@otago.ac.nz (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun9.061517.874@yenta.alb.nm.us>, dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) writes:
> I work in a carpeted area, and if I drop a tiny washer or something, I'll
> have a very hard time finding it again.  I just discovered (after being so
> splendidly stupid as to drop a washer I needed) that patting the rug in the
> general area causes the little parts to dance around, catch the light and
> catch your eye.
> --
> Unix is not your mother.

Until they get to the root of the pile. Then it takes a vacume cleaner...
rattle, rattle, clunk... :(.

Unix is no relation.

afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Alan R. Fry) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun9.223158.505@otago.ac.nz> grahaf@otago.ac.nz writes:
>In article <1991Jun9.061517.874@yenta.alb.nm.us>, dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) writes:
:>> I work in a carpeted area, and if I drop a tiny washer or something, I'll
:>> have a very hard time finding it again.  I just discovered (after being so
:>> splendidly stupid as to drop a washer I needed) that patting the rug in the
:>> general area causes the little parts to dance around, catch the light and
:>> catch your eye.
:>> --
:>> Unix is not your mother.
:>
:>Until they get to the root of the pile. Then it takes a vacume cleaner...
:>rattle, rattle, clunk... :(.
:>
:>Unix is no relation.

Actually, this reminds me of the old house cleaning trick for finding a
dropped contact lens:  put a nylon stocking over the end of the vacuum
cleaner hose and vacuum over the area where you hope the lens is.  When you
get it, you just turn off the vacuum and let the lens fall into your hand.
Probably works just as well for washers, bolts, pins, pilfer grommets, tram
cable, matrix wrenches, and other small parts.

Unix is... uh... just a friend.

Alan
  Alan R Fry                   | Graffiti on a condom machine in San Fran:
  afry@uhura.cc.rochester.edu  | "Don't buy this gum, it tastes like old tires"

robf@mcs213i.cs.umr.edu (Rob Fugina) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun9.223158.505@otago.ac.nz> grahaf@otago.ac.nz writes:
>In article <1991Jun9.061517.874@yenta.alb.nm.us>, dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) writes:
>> I work in a carpeted area, and if I drop a tiny washer or something, I'll
>> have a very hard time finding it again.  I just discovered (after being so
>
>Until they get to the root of the pile. Then it takes a vacume cleaner...
>rattle, rattle, clunk... :(.

What you do then is stretch a piece of nylon pantyhose over the end of the
vacuum cleaner hose.  Works pretty well...

Me  robf@cs.umr.edu

donrm@hpnmdla.sr.hp.com (Don Montgomery) (06/22/91)

Get yourself a cat.  My animal, Lips (aka "the supervisor") usually
finds my dropped parts before I climb off the stool to look for them.
Just make sure the beast isn't too hungry...

				    Don Montgomery
				    donrm@hpnmdla.HP.COM