[sci.electronics] Help with op-amp follower

lakata@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Mark T. Lakata) (06/24/91)

What would cause high-frequency (MHz) oscillations in an op-amp
follower (output connected to inverting input)?  My circuit worked
fine for a while, then developed this oscillation that would sometimes
go away when I touched the contacts on the back side of the circuit board.
I'm using an LF356 op-amp on a wire wrap board.  The oscillations happens
both with no input attached and with an input attached.

               sine wave input
	       5vpp, 10 - 10^6 Hz input

               =====  special capacitor

                 +-------|+ \
		 |       |    \______ out
        .01 uF =====     |    /  |
		 |    |--|  /    |
		 |    |  |/      |
	        gnd   |__________|

Opamp supplied with +/- 7 volt supply.
Thanks, Mark

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (06/24/91)

Is the LF356 by any chance a high-frequency op-amp?

Some op-amps are not stable at *low* gain, because their compensating
capacitors are deliberately made a little too small, relying on
negative feedback (higher at high gain) to complete the stabilizing
system.

Also, are the power supply leads to the op-amp (both + and -) bypassed
to ground with 0.05-uF capacitors?  If not, they should be.

Michael A. Covington | Artificial Intelligence Programs
The University of Georgia  |  Athens, GA 30602   U.S.A.

dana@locus.com (Dana H. Myers) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun23.230350.27027@nntp-server.caltech.edu> lakata@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Mark T. Lakata) writes:
>What would cause high-frequency (MHz) oscillations in an op-amp
>follower (output connected to inverting input)?  My circuit worked
>fine for a while, then developed this oscillation that would sometimes
>go away when I touched the contacts on the back side of the circuit board.
>I'm using an LF356 op-amp on a wire wrap board.  The oscillations happens
>both with no input attached and with an input attached.
>
>               sine wave input
>	       5vpp, 10 - 10^6 Hz input
>               =====  special capacitor
>                 |       |\
>                 +-------|+ \
>		 |       |    \______ out
>        .01 uF =====     |    /  |
>		 |    |--|  /    |
>
>Opamp supplied with +/- 7 volt supply.
>Thanks, Mark

  Looks to me like there is no DC bias on the non-inverting input. Try
putting a large value resistor to ground. This will have the effect also
of setting the quiescent output voltage to 0V.

--
 * Dana H. Myers KK6JQ 		| Views expressed here are	*
 * (213) 337-5136 		| mine and do not necessarily	*