[sci.electronics] finding teeny parts you drop

dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) (06/09/91)

I work in a carpeted area, and if I drop a tiny washer or something, I'll
have a very hard time finding it again.  I just discovered (after being so
splendidly stupid as to drop a washer I needed) that patting the rug in the
general area causes the little parts to dance around, catch the light and
catch your eye.
--
Unix is not your mother.

ben@abekrd.co.uk (Ben Freeman) (06/10/91)

In <1991Jun9.061517.874@yenta.alb.nm.us> dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) writes:

>I work in a carpeted area, and if I drop a tiny washer or something, I'll
>have a very hard time finding it again.  I just discovered (after being so
>splendidly stupid as to drop a washer I needed) that patting the rug in the
>general area causes the little parts to dance around, catch the light and
>catch your eye.

Either:
	a) Get another washer out the drawer  OR
	b) Tie a length of cotton to each small item your handling,
	   and tape the other ends to your desk.
:-)

>Unix is not your mother.
No, but my father is a DOSser.

mcl9337@harpo.tamu.edu (LOWE, MARK CHRISTOPHER) (06/11/91)

>In <1991Jun9.061517.874@yenta.alb.nm.us> dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) writes:
>
>>I work in a carpeted area, and if I drop a tiny washer or something, I'll
>>have a very hard time finding it again.  I just discovered (after being so
>>splendidly stupid as to drop a washer I needed) that patting the rug in the
>>general area causes the little parts to dance around, catch the light and
>>catch your eye.

Get yourself a bulk tape eraser from Radio Shack.  Then just make sure you don't
drop anything plastic.  Turn on the eraser and run it over the general area and
you'll catch all kinds of things you haven't seen for about 20 years.

These things are also great fun when placed against hard drives.  Those heads
REALLY love getting banged around like that.  But it sure is a quick way to
erase a lot of data!  :-)

Mark C. "Bro!" Lowe - KB5III

xxxxajh@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Alan J Holmes) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun9.061517.874@yenta.alb.nm.us> dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) writes:
>I work in a carpeted area, and if I drop a tiny washer or something, I'll
>have a very hard time finding it again.  I just discovered (after being so
>splendidly stupid as to drop a washer I needed) that patting the rug in the
>general area causes the little parts to dance around, catch the light and
>catch your eye.

Another hint worth trying is to borrow a stocking (shows how old I am!)
or tights from your girl friend and use a vaccuum cleaner with the
stocking/tights over the end of the hose,  will find the bits without
them dissappearing up the hole.  (No not that hole!)

Regards

Alan Holmes

ron@vicorp.com (Ron Peterson) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun9.061517.874@yenta.alb.nm.us> dt@yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) writes:
>I work in a carpeted area, and if I drop a tiny washer or something, I'll
>have a very hard time finding it again.  I just discovered (after being so
>splendidly stupid as to drop a washer I needed) that patting the rug in the
>general area causes the little parts to dance around, catch the light and
>catch your eye.

A large magnet is great for finding steel parts.  A few sweeps over the rug
will usually do it.  I also find that it's wise to look carefully with a
flashlight before patting the rug because if the part drops into the fibers
you may never find it.  One of those small hand vacuum cleaners might be
useful also.
ron@vicorp.com or uunet!vicorp!ron

pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun14.002711.5294@vicorp.com> ron@vicorp.com (Ron
Peterson) writes:
> A large magnet is great for finding steel parts.

Wrap a sheet of paper around the magnet first.  It makes them a lot easier
to remove.

Eric Pepke                                    INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                      SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                    BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

gordon@prls.UUCP (G Vickers) (06/19/91)

>In article <1991Jun14.002711.5294@vicorp.com> ron@vicorp.com (Ron
>Peterson) writes:
> A large magnet is great for finding steel parts.

      I have found that the easiest way to find small parts that have dropped
    onto the floor is simple to get down onto the floor with one's check
    flush against it.  With your eye now at floor level scan across the
    "horizon" and focus on any distruption.

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (06/20/91)

From article <51223@prls.UUCP>, by gordon@prls.UUCP (G Vickers):
>>In article <1991Jun14.002711.5294@vicorp.com> ron@vicorp.com (Ron
>>Peterson) writes:
>> A large magnet is great for finding steel parts.
>>

>       I have found that the easiest way to find small parts that have dropped
>     onto the floor is simple to get down onto the floor with one's check
>     flush against it.  With your eye now at floor level scan across the
>     "horizon" and focus on any distruption.

An addendum, turn off the main light in the room, and scan a flashlight around
the area you are looking in, but held at arms length.  Sometimes, the shadow of
a tiny part is visible moving with the light, even when the part will not
resolve out from the background.  I've found many a 00 washer that way.

schumach@convex.com (Richard A. Schumacher) (06/21/91)

And don't forget to look in the cuffs of your pants!

pierson@ggone.enet.dec.com (Dave Pierson) (06/21/91)

dave pierson			|the facts, as accurately as i can manage,
Digital Equipment Corporation	|the opinions, my own.
600 Nickerson Rd
Marlboro, Mass
01752				pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com
"He has read everything, and, to his credit, written nothing."  A J Raffles

reichert@motcid.UUCP (Chuck KD9JQ) (06/22/91)

Try walking around in your bare feet...garaunteed to work!

Chuck  KD9JQ

donhowe@udel.edu (Mark Donhowe) (06/26/91)

A white cloth held taut over a vacuum cleaner nozzle works great.

-Mark Donhowe
 donhowe@udel.edu