[sci.electronics] cheap microcomputer chips for gadgets

canovai@mcnc.org (1993]) (06/26/91)

	I have several electronic gadgets which I have built using
	hardwired logic. I am interested in redesigning them using
	microcomputer chips in order to give them more functionality.
	I used to work with the MCS-48/51 (Intel) series of microcomputer
	chips (back several years ago) but have been out of touch with
	the developments in this area since then (the MCS-51 was the
	best thing going at that time).

	My question is; is there a better family of microcomputer
	chips available today for small gadget applications?

	My primary concerns are:

		* Low power consumption (must be CMOS) - for solar cell power
		* Low cost (>$10? each) - potential for mass production
		* speed is least essential

	Of course I could (and will) do much researching of this
	myself but I was hoping that someone, who has already evaluated
	the now numerous options available today, could point me in the
	right direction.

	Also, what is the least expensive way to program these chips
	now? Are there inexpensive programing software and hardware
	setups/kits for pc's? ...are there service companies which will
	take your code and do EPROM programming for a reasonable cost?

	Any experienced help would be appreciated.

lee@pipe.cs.wisc.edu (Soo Lee) (06/26/91)

In article <7991@alvin.mcnc.org> canovai@mcnc.org.UUCP (Chris Canovai [919 248-1993]) writes:

[much stuff deleted]
>	My question is; is there a better family of microcomputer
>	chips available today for small gadget applications?
>
>	My primary concerns are:
>
>		* Low power consumption (must be CMOS) - for solar cell power
>		* Low cost (>$10? each) - potential for mass production
>		* speed is least essential
>
>	Also, what is the least expensive way to program these chips
>	now? Are there inexpensive programing software and hardware
>	setups/kits for pc's? ...are there service companies which will
>	take your code and do EPROM programming for a reasonable cost?

I was an enthusiastic fan of INTEL microcontroller family especially MCS-51
and MCS-48. However, I switched to MC68HC11 family and am looking for MC68HC16
for the near future. This coup had happened after my in-house ICE for 8051
had a bunch of chips toasted due to unhappy negligence on live 100V AC contact.

As I started with redesigning improved ICE, I just heard about the small group
of MC68HC11EVB. Actually I hated instruction set of Motorola CPUs but I flipped
the manual of HC11 family and support chips. After getting interested and
registered for mc68hc11-request@quack.sac.ca.us, I learned what problem it has
and what is needed to do real serious MDS environment. Indeed I am interested
in reliable and networked microcontroller design rather than quick and dirty
ones. Thanks to really impressive design for MC68HC11 and transparent support
chips, EVB becomes a real workhorse to my project. Even Motorola and bunch of
people post their findings thru BBS and the mail group as I mentioned.

For me, I'll live with the cute chip until at least next summer for my project.
And naturally, I'd like to recommend you MC68HC11EVB which comes with a set of
manuals, SW for both PC and MAC, and EVB with HC11A8. For further info, send
a request to the mail group(FAQ is provided) or call Motorola BBS 512-891-FREE.

>	Any experienced help would be appreciated.

I'd like to hear any comment on the selection of a microcontroller from netters
too!

Soo	lee@cs.wisc.edu
This is only my opinion and nothing represents anyone or company.

tedwards@aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU (Edwards Thomas G S1A x8297) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun26.042001.13828@spool.cs.wisc.edu> lee@pipe.cs.wisc.edu (Soo Lee) writes:
>In article <7991@alvin.mcnc.org> canovai@mcnc.org.UUCP (Chris Canovai [919 248-1993]) writes:
>>	My question is; is there a better family of microcomputer
>>	chips available today for small gadget applications?

>I was an enthusiastic fan of INTEL microcontroller family especially MCS-51
>and MCS-48. However, I switched to MC68HC11 family and am looking for MC68HC16
>for the near future. This coup had happened after my in-house ICE for 8051
>had a bunch of chips toasted due to unhappy negligence on live 100V AC contact.

I'll also reccommend the MC68HC11.  On board multiple-channel D/A,
many output ports coupled with an onboard timer, CMOS low-power,
and all kinds of wierd systems for fault-detection and security make it
a really neat microcontroller.

Right now I am using the HC11 EVB to test neuromorphic VLSI chips.
Infact, several students at Hopkins are using HC11 EVBs as test platforms.

-Tom

rickmc@IASTATE.EDU (Mcintosh Ricky Joe S) (06/26/91)

In article <7991@alvin.mcnc.org>, canovai@mcnc.org (1993]) writes:

> 	I have several electronic gadgets which I have built using
> 	hardwired logic. I am interested in redesigning them using
> 	microcomputer chips in order to give them more functionality.
> 	I used to work with the MCS-48/51 (Intel) series of microcomputer
> 	chips (back several years ago) but have been out of touch with
> 	the developments in this area since then (the MCS-51 was the
> 	best thing going at that time).
>
> 	My question is; is there a better family of microcomputer
> 	chips available today for small gadget applications?
>
> 	My primary concerns are:
>
> 		* Low power consumption (must be CMOS) - for solar cell power
> 		* Low cost (>$10? each) - potential for mass production
> 		* speed is least essential
>
> 	Of course I could (and will) do much researching of this
> 	myself but I was hoping that someone, who has already evaluated
> 	the now numerous options available today, could point me in the
> 	right direction.
>
> 	Also, what is the least expensive way to program these chips
> 	now? Are there inexpensive programing software and hardware
> 	setups/kits for pc's? ...are there service companies which will
> 	take your code and do EPROM programming for a reasonable cost?
>
> 	Any experienced help would be appreciated.

I would go back to the mcs-51 family. The micros have been out for a while, but
haven't lost their usefulness. Many manufacturers have made modified versions of
the micros. Signetics is coming out with a 33 MHz version, so if speed was
necesary here it is. Others have added A/D and D/A converters, PWM, and many
other functions that now is on the newer 16 bit micros. You asked for cheap. The
8751 can purchase for less than $10 in qty of 100 or more. Also old 8051's can
be bought with outdated masked rom. You just pull up a the EA* pin use external
rom. The cost $3 in qty of 1. Dallas Semiconductors makes an 8051 (5000) that
can have as much as 32K of ram with battery backup and clock calender on the
same 40 pin dip. you program it with the serial port and partition the remaining
ram as data space. Also this is treated as internal memory so speed is
increased. they cost $48 in qty of 100, but think what it saves you in you pcb,
ram ic and rom ic. Now you have the extra par. ports, speed and you can program
them yourself if you wish to build a simple rs-232 port.
You also ask about having your code put in rom. eprom programers that can
program 16 eproms at once are only about $300. so if you're planning on doing a
few 100 a month you'll find it's cheaper to do it your self. The cheapest way is
to buy a very large qty and have the program masked into the ic the your talking
$4-7 each including masking, but look out for the number you need to buy. There
are companies that do nothing but program 8751's for people.
I've seen people using the 68hc11 and similar, but they do not have anything
that the 51 family does actually they have less because of all the improvements
that have been made over the years. 8051's come in cmos and are cheap in this
form because they have been out for several years. If you use the powerdown
modes and your previous experience you'll have no trouble getting a reliable and
low power consuming 8051 project working.
Good Luck in you search.
Rick.