[sci.electronics] Hall Effect Sensor

kevin@cheetah.inmos.co.uk (Kevin Cameron) (06/24/91)

I always wanted to build a Hall-effect compass - but never got round to it.

The major problem seemed to be that the devices are quite temperature sensitive
and are therefore difficult to get absolute values from, however it does always
exhibit minimum resistance at minimum field strength. I would therefore suggest
that an accurate measurement of the Earth's magnetic field can be found by
placing the device inside a coil which can be magnetised to neutralise the
Earth's field, and the coil current will then be proportional to the Earth's
magnetic field. Two devices at right-angles can then give you a bearing.

Hope somebody finds this useful.

Apologies if this re-iterates anything in "Radio Electronics", which I havn't
read.

Kevin Cameron         INMOS, 1000 Aztec West, Almondsbury, Bristol BS12 4SQ, UK
kevin@inmos.co.uk     Tel: (UK) 0454 616 616 x364, Fax: 617 910

neufeld@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) (06/25/91)

keving@cheetah.inmos.co.uk  (Kevin Cameron) writes:

This really fouled up my machine, it refused to post off-site, so I'm
restarting the thread manually.

>I always wanted to build a Hall-effect compass - but never got round to it.
>  [ goes on to discuss nulling field coil and Hall effect probe ]

   This is not the way to go. The Hall effect is not strong enough to
pick up gauss-sized fields easily. It's usually used to measure fields
some ten thousand times larger. At such low fields you'll have real
problems with thermally induced voltages when you try to measure the
voltage across the sample. Further, the errors will be large enough to
make bearing readings (from knowledge of the component in two different
directions) essentially useless.
   Now, a clever scheme which ought to be workable is a fluxgate
magnetometer. I won't go into details of the construction, you can find
them in any IEEE proceedings on magnetism. You need a signal generator
and a way to extract harmonics of the input frequency, then some nulling
and sensing coils, with a material chosen to saturate magnetically in
the regime of interest. You can buy packaged fluxgate magnetometers the
size of a 35mm film case, tri-axial, with analog outputs proportional to
the magnetic field strength along each axis, for about $3000. That
package contains everything, including the multiplexing hardware,
frequency generator and analyzer, and three fluxgates. It just takes
regulated supply voltages in. I offer this as an example that the thing
is possible for not exorbitant amounts of money, and in a small case.

--
 Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  | If ignorance is bliss
 neufeld@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca    Ad astra  | why aren't there more

kevin@cheetah.inmos.co.uk (Kevin Cameron) (06/25/91)

|> keving@cheetah.inmos.co.uk  (Kevin Cameron) writes:
|> >I always wanted to build a Hall-effect compass - but never got round to it.
|>
|>    This is not the way to go. The Hall effect is not strong enough to
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|>the regime of interest. You can buy packaged fluxgate magnetometers the
|> the magnetic field strength along each axis, for about $3000. That
                                                          ^^^^^
|>  Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  | If ignorance is bliss

I'm sure you're right about it working, but $3000 seems a bit expensive
compared to an ordinary magnetic compass. You could probably buy a global
positioning system for that price (Inmos have developed a pocket one based
on transputers).

It only needs to be accurate to ~1 degree to be competitive with a
magnetic compass on performance, but it would need to cost nearer $100
in total to be worth buying instead.

How strong is the Earth's magnetic field anyway?

In article <16869@ganymede.inmos.co.uk> kevin@cheetah.inmos.co.uk (Kevin Cameron) writes:

>|>    This is not the way to go. The Hall effect is not strong enough to
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>|>the regime of interest. You can buy packaged fluxgate magnetometers the
>|> the magnetic field strength along each axis, for about $3000. That
>                                                          ^^^^^
>|>  Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  | If ignorance is bliss
>
>I'm sure you're right about it working, but $3000 seems a bit expensive
>compared to an ordinary magnetic compass. You could probably buy a global
>positioning system for that price (Inmos have developed a pocket one based
>on transputers).

   Well, that one is more sophisticated than it has to be for your
purposes. Potted in epoxy, intensities measured to high precision, you
could probably use it to detect submarines. A cobbled-together fluxgate
magnetometer shouldn't run $3000. I just gave that as an example. A
similar Hall effect sensor would contain a variable current power
supply, a precision variable voltage source and meter, and some logic to
calculate the field given current and voltage values. That stuff isn't
cheap if bought as commercial products.

>It only needs to be accurate to ~1 degree to be competitive with a
>magnetic compass on performance, but it would need to cost nearer $100
>in total to be worth buying instead.
>
>How strong is the Earth's magnetic field anyway?

   About 0.5 to 1.0 Gauss, or under 1e-4 Tesla. Hall effect sensors
which I've used have been for fields in the neighbourhood of 0.5 to 2.0
Tesla. You've got a factor of 10000 to recover there.

>kevin@inmos.co.uk     Tel: (UK) 0454 616 616 x364, Fax: 617 910

--
 Christopher Neufeld....Just a graduate student  | If ignorance is bliss
 neufeld@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca    Ad astra  | why aren't there more
 cneufeld@{pnet91,pro-cco}.cts.com               | happy people?
 "Don't edit reality for the sake of simplicity" |

ieeug330@Eagle.oscs.montana.edu (Mark Wistey) (06/26/91)

I have a copy of a physics lab on magnetometry using a bar magnet, a
magnetic compass, and a yardstick.  It was sensitive enough to detect the
magnetic field produced by an H.P. calculator sitting nearby!  But what
can I say, it was a lab, and we were bored...  Anyone who's interested,
just ask at any of the addresses below.

Mark Wistey... gmw1142%msu3.dnet@mtsunix1  (BITNet)  | Bicycling, Apple II's,
gmw1142%msu3.dnet@terra.oscs.montana.edu  (InterNet) | Christ-like living,
513 S. 9th, Bozeman, MT  59715, USA       (BikeNet)  | Music, and Physics  :-)

mahaun@sactoh0.sac.ca.us (Mark A. Haun) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.161850.11815@helios.physics.utoronto.ca>, neufeld@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca (Christopher Neufeld) writes:
> In article <16869@ganymede.inmos.co.uk> kevin@cheetah.inmos.co.uk (Kevin Cameron) writes:
> >
> >I'm sure you're right about it working, but $3000 seems a bit expensive
> >compared to an ordinary magnetic compass. You could probably buy a global
> >positioning system for that price (Inmos have developed a pocket one based
> >on transputers).
> >
>    Well, that one is more sophisticated than it has to be for your
> purposes. Potted in epoxy, intensities measured to high precision, you
> could probably use it to detect submarines. A cobbled-together fluxgate
> magnetometer shouldn't run $3000. I just gave that as an example. A
> similar Hall effect sensor would contain a variable current power
> supply, a precision variable voltage source and meter, and some logic to
> calculate the field given current and voltage values. That stuff isn't
> cheap if bought as commercial products.
>
> >It only needs to be accurate to ~1 degree to be competitive with a
> >magnetic compass on performance, but it would need to cost nearer $100
> >in total to be worth buying instead.

For anyone not aware, Radio Shack sells a fluxgate compass for
$54.95 (Cat. # 63-641, page 50 in '91 catalog).  I don't know its
accuracy.

Keep in mind that designing a working electronic compass is a lot
easier than actually measuring changes in the Earth's field.  For a
compass, all you need to sense are the relative strengths of the
field in two directions.  I would not be suprised if Hall devices
*can* be used in a crude electronic compass.  Of course, if you
want to actually watch the field and see changes in it, you need to
attain a resolution down to at least 100 nT or so (10 nT would be
more realistic).  That is a tricky thing to do, even with
fluxgates.

--
Mark A. Haun / 3445 Del Mesa Ct. / Sacramento, CA 95821 / Phone: (916) 488-2965
UUCP: {ames | apple | sun}!pacbell!sactoh0!mahaun | Amateur Radio KJ6PC

jim@ghp.UUCP (Jim Stewart) (06/26/91)

Kevin Cameron writes:

>|>	You can buy packaged fluxgate magnetometers the
>|> the magnetic field strength along each axis, for about $3000. That

>I'm sure you're right about it working, but $3000 seems a bit expensive
>compared to an ordinary magnetic compass.

I agree...
The autopilot in my boat costs about $900 CDN.  It uses fluxgate technology,
and with the $900 CDN you also get a waterproof control box, large servo motor,
and the mechanical stuff to tie it all together.  It has +/- degree controls
so it must be fairly sensitive, although it just works relative to
the last position, not absolute with respect to the earth.

I would be curious as to where to find just the sub-assembly.
--
Jim Stewart, VE3SRJ
UUCP:  jim%ghp@mnetor.uucp