[sci.electronics] Bar code reader

rozee@elec.canterbury.ac.nz (06/26/91)

Has anyone got any useful info on using a bar code reader with a P.C.?
I'm posting this for someone else; as far as I can tell the reader
will be a wand type, connected to a P.C. The hardware is a commercial
product (sorry, don't know what make), and the software is what is going
to be written. What is of particular interest is what sort of output
the reader is likely to produce, format and the likes; will it be
the numeric equivilent of the bar code, or something else.

A software package is available for the reader; cost about twice the
price of the hardware. Uneconomic.

Thanks for any help,
                       Rob.

replies to ROZEE@ELEC.CANTERBURY.AC.NZ

tima@hls.com (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.215859.1@elec.canterbury.ac.nz>, rozee@elec.canterbury.ac.nz writes:
> Has anyone got any useful info on using a bar code reader with a P.C.?
> ...... as far as I can tell the reader will be a wand type, connected
> to a P.C. The hardware is a commercial product, and the software is what
> is going to be written. What is of particular interest is what sort of
> output the reader is likely to produce, format and the likes; will it be
> the numeric equivilent of the bar code, or something else.

I am just winding down a barcode project in which we 'bar-coded' our
manufacturing floor. ($40K worth) At some of the data entry stations we used
"wedges" (approx $400) which are boxes which connect between the PC keyboard
and the PC. The output appears to the PC as if it was typed on the keyboard.

           *************
           *           *                /--======
           *    PC     *               /    wand

> A software package is available for the reader; cost about twice the
> price of the hardware. Uneconomic.

If you are going to do anything besides a very simple data entry program,
I would strongly suggest that you use a commercially written package rather
than re-inventing the wheel.

Tim Ames