[sci.electronics] TV Picture Tubes and Speaker Magnets

tom@syssoft.com (Rodentia) (06/13/91)

All of this talk of squealing TV's reminds me that I have a stereo speaker too
close to my TV.  When the green intensity of the displayed picture is low, I
get a green blob in the lower right (closest to speaker) corner.  Moving the
speaker when the TV is already on doesn't help much, but moving it when the
TV is off and then turning it on solves the problem.  I assume this indicates
that the TV degausses the tube whenever turned on.

So, am I damaging my TV by operating it in this fashion?  What about the
speakers?  For reference, it's a 27" Sylvania (about 3 years old).

Also, is there a practical magnetic shielding, or would I need some
yttrium-copper-oxide and a mess of liquid nitrogen ;-{) ?  Thanks.
--
Thomas Roden                                      | tom@syssoft.com
Systems and Software, Inc.                        | Voice: (714) 833-1700 x454

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (06/17/91)

The usual magnetic shielding material is mu-metal. The cheapest way to
get some is to go to a hamfest (flea market) and buy a couple of dead
oscilloscopes that have mu-metal shields around their CRTs. But I'm told
that mu-metal is brittle and you can't just unbend it.

Michael A. Covington | Artificial Intelligence Programs
The University of Georgia  |  Athens, GA 30602   U.S.A.

frankb@hpsad.HP.COM (Frank Ball) (06/19/91)

/ mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) / 10:20 am  Jun 16, 1991 /
*The usual magnetic shielding material is mu-metal. The cheapest way to
*get some is to go to a hamfest (flea market) and buy a couple of dead
*oscilloscopes that have mu-metal shields around their CRTs. But I'm told
*that mu-metal is brittle and you can't just unbend it.

You can unbend it, but its magnetic properties deteriorate significantly.
There is an annealling process to restore it, but its not something you can
do at home.  Try using ordinary sheet steel.

Frank Ball   frankb@hpsad.HP.COM   pyramid!hplabs!hpsad!frankb

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (06/20/91)

You can get "tin plate" at large sheet metal stores.  It's thin sheet
steel with a tin plating on it, and is easily cut and bent with hand
tools.  You can make boxes out of it by soldering edges together with
an ordinary soldering iron, and a simple coat of spray lacquer will keep
it bright and shiny for years.  If you don't need the ultimate in
shielding, it will do well and is quite cheap.

Just watch your fingers on the sharp edges.
	- Brian

clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) (06/24/91)

In article <35995@ucsd.Edu> brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
>You can get "tin plate" at large sheet metal stores.  It's thin sheet
>       - Brian
>[...]

        I think we got away from the point for a second or two here.  The
answer I was waiting for was to the question "Does this operating
environment damage the CRT?".  Sometime I'm inclined to set a muffin fan
(why do they call them "muffin" fans ? :-) on top of my montior (NEC
Multisync IIA) as it gets quite warm after a while and cool is always better
(usually :).  When I do this I can notice a slight (_slight_) rippling
effect in the picture if I look hard.  I want to be sure that prolonged
exposure to a magnetic field will not mess up my convergence or anything
like that.  I'm not sure whether the IIA degausses on power-up.  Does
anyone else know?

--
 Craig Lemon - Kitchener, Ontario. Amiga B2000 UUCPv1.13D.
 clemon@lemsys.UUCP lemsys!clemon@xenitec.on.ca | Please Mail any binaries

frankb@hpsad.HP.COM (Frank Ball) (06/25/91)

/ clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) /  6:51 am  Jun 24, 1991 /
        *I think we got away from the point for a second or two here.  The
*answer I was waiting for was to the question "Does this operating
*environment damage the CRT?".  Sometime I'm inclined to set a muffin fan
*(why do they call them "muffin" fans ? :-) on top of my montior (NEC
*Multisync IIA) as it gets quite warm after a while and cool is always better
*(usually :).  When I do this I can notice a slight (_slight_) rippling
*effect in the picture if I look hard.  I want to be sure that prolonged
*exposure to a magnetic field will not mess up my convergence or anything
*like that.  I'm not sure whether the IIA degausses on power-up.  Does
*anyone else know?

Color TVs do degausse the tube on power-up, but they will only degausse
a mild magnetization on the grid (I think its called a grid, its a metal
plate full of little holes just behind the glass faceplate of the CRT).
When this plate gets magetized it bends the paths of the electrons and
distorts the picture, the colors get really strange.  If you get a strong
enough magetization on the grid the degausse coil built into the set will
not do the job.  It is possible to do it with a handheld AC electromagnet,
but it is very difficult to do a good job.  I would avoid anything that
causes visible distortion on the screen, it is asking for trouble.

Frank Ball   frankb@hpsad.HP.COM   pyramid!hplabs!hpsad!frankb

luns@spocom.guild.org (Luns Tee) (06/26/91)

frankb@hpsad.HP.COM (Frank Ball) writes:

> a mild magnetization on the grid (I think its called a grid, its a metal
> plate full of little holes just behind the glass faceplate of the CRT).

   It's called a Shadow Mask.

myers@hpfcrlm.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (06/27/91)

>(usually :).  When I do this I can notice a slight (_slight_) rippling
>effect in the picture if I look hard.  I want to be sure that prolonged
>exposure to a magnetic field will not mess up my convergence or anything
>like that.  I'm not sure whether the IIA degausses on power-up.  Does
>anyone else know?

I don't know for sure whether the IIA degausses on power-up or not (you could
tell by listening for an "AC power"-sort of hum for a few seconds when the
monitor is powered up, after having been off for a minute or so).  In any
event, you're not likely to have convergence problems as the result of putting
an *AC* fan on top of the display; the rippling you're seeing is just the
AC field from the fan mucking around and beating with the deflection (the
vertical deflection of the display is NOT locked to the line), and, since it's
an AC field, it will not wind up magnetizing the tube structures (such as the
shadow mask) and thereby cause purity and convergence problems.  Even if it
DID, degaussing the monitor is no big deal.  You SHOULD always look for a
monitor with built-in degaussing (auto or manual), but even those are likely
to eventually need a pass with an external degaussing coil to keep things OK.

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
myers@fc.hp.com                          |  sentient life-form on this planet.

mzenier@polari.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (06/27/91)

In article <1840052@hpsad.HP.COM> frankb@hpsad.HP.COM (Frank Ball) writes:
>Color TVs do degausse the tube on power-up, but they will only degausse
>a mild magnetization on the grid (I think its called a grid, its a metal
>plate full of little holes just behind the glass faceplate of the CRT).

Mask or Shadowmask.  The grids are back in the CRT gun assembly, and
are usually dinnerplate or cylinder shaped, with a little hole in the
center.

Mark Zenier  markz@ssc.uucp  mzenier@polari.uucp