[sci.electronics] Excavating

asldh@acad2.alaska.edu (06/11/91)

In article <sehari.676666308@du248-12.cc.iastate.edu>, sehari@iastate.edu (Sehari Babak) writes:
> This article originally was posted in misc.invest. I thought it might be
> interesting for this news group too.
>
> In <1991Jun11.055227.2611@nas.nasa.gov> crayfe@nas.nasa.gov (Cray Hardware Support) writes:
>
>>I recently came across this article in sci.elctronics and thought it
>>might be of interest since the recent discussion of where the price
>>of gold might be going. Anybody care to comment?
>
>>In article <7Fs532w164w@spocom.guild.org>
>>luns@spocom.guild.org (Luns Tee) writes:
>>>>

>>>Today's Washington Post reports that an asteroid has been found orbiting the
>>>Sun at a distance of about 20 million miles from Earth (closest point).  It
>>>apparently contains 10000 tons of gold and 100000 tons of platinum, as well
>>>as 10 billion tons of iron and 1 billion tons of nickel.  Its estimated
>>>worth was put at around 1 trillion dollars.
>
> This might be one of the first real applications of Space technology. I say
> NASA should issue stocks to built a space craft to go and bring that thing

Why NASA?  Why not a private concern?  Just a quick thought...

> down.  This could open up another very lucrative investment, a side from
> satellites.  The technology we gain could help us mine other~r
> space too.  Then, boldly going were no man has gone before makes business
> sense to.

    Unfortunately, the prices of gold and platinum are driven largely by the
laws of supply and demand.  Drag these quantities of them to Earth, and their
prices will plunge.  Not that I find this to be a disturbing prospect,
necessarilly.  As Heinlein notes in _The Door Into Summer_, gold (and, I
beleive, platinum also), is very important in engineering, and cheap gold and
platinum would open up a brave new world of electronic engineering.
    I would certainly invest in such a venture -- so long as the folks involved
have a clear understanding that they are not likely to get *current* market
value for the gold & platinum.  On the other hand, is there anyone out there
with easy access to the figures for world gold and platinum production levels
today?  Are these quantities large enough to distort the market, or am I
blowing a false alarm?

> I assume this could be possible if the price of gold goes much higher. let us
> forget about mars and concentrate on this, for now. After all, who needs cheap
> marsian dart.
    <Sigh>  It's not the dirt we need, but the acreage... But that is unlikely
to become a reality anytime soon...

--

@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!@#%!
#                             %                                            @

sehari@iastate.edu (Sehari Babak) (06/12/91)

This article originally was posted in misc.invest. I thought it might be
interesting for this news group too.

In <1991Jun11.055227.2611@nas.nasa.gov> crayfe@nas.nasa.gov (Cray Hardware Support) writes:

>I recently came across this article in sci.elctronics and thought it
>might be of interest since the recent discussion of where the price
>of gold might be going. Anybody care to comment?

>In article <7Fs532w164w@spocom.guild.org>
>luns@spocom.guild.org (Luns Tee) writes:
>>>

>>Today's Washington Post reports that an asteroid has been found orbiting the
>>Sun at a distance of about 20 million miles from Earth (closest point).  It
>>apparently contains 10000 tons of gold and 100000 tons of platinum, as well
>>as 10 billion tons of iron and 1 billion tons of nickel.  Its estimated
>>worth was put at around 1 trillion dollars.

This might be one of the first real applications of Space technology. I say
NASA should issue stocks to built a space craft to go and bring that thing
down.  This could open up another very lucrative investment, a side from
satellites.  The technology we gain could help us mine other things in the

hal@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (Hal Chambers) (06/12/91)

>>>Today's Washington Post reports that an asteroid has been found orbiting the
   Sun at a distance of about 20 million miles from Earth (closest point).  It
   apparently contains 10000 tons of gold and 100000 tons of platinum, as well
   as 10 billion tons of iron and 1 billion tons of nickel.  Its estimated
>>>worth was put at around 1 trillion dollars.

In article <sehari.676666308@du248-12.cc.iastate.edu> sehari@iastate.edu (Sehari Babak) writes:
>This might be one of the first real applications of Space technology. I say
 NASA should issue stocks to built a space craft to go and bring that thing
 down.  This could open up another very lucrative investment, a side from
 satellites.  The technology we gain could help us mine other things in the
 space too.  Then, boldly going were no man has gone before makes business
>sense to.

>I assume this could be possible if the price of gold goes much higher. let us
 forget about mars and concentrate on this, for now. After all, who needs cheap
>marsian dart.
===================

So this means the asteroid is no more than 0.001% platinum and 0.0001% gold.
How does this compare with terrestrial ores? Besides, a body of 10^9 tons
doesn't sound too feasable to "bring down" to Earth.

Hal Chambers		hal@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu
------------
"In the beginning the universe was created.  This made a lot of people
very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D. Adams

rb9a@kelvin.seas.Virginia.EDU (Raul Baragiola) (06/12/91)

In article <sehari.676666308@du248-12.cc.iastate.edu> sehari@iastate.edu (Sehari Babak) writes:
>This article originally was posted in misc.invest. I thought it might be
>interesting for this news group too.
>
>In <1991Jun11.055227.2611@nas.nasa.gov> crayfe@nas.nasa.gov (Cray Hardware Support) writes:
>
>>I recently came across this article in sci.elctronics and thought it
>>might be of interest since the recent discussion of where the price
>>of gold might be going. Anybody care to comment?
>
>>In article <7Fs532w164w@spocom.guild.org>
>>luns@spocom.guild.org (Luns Tee) writes:
>>>>

>>>Today's Washington Post reports that an asteroid has been found orbiting the
>>>Sun at a distance of about 20 million miles from Earth (closest point).  It
>>>apparently contains 10000 tons of gold and 100000 tons of platinum, as well
>>>as 10 billion tons of iron and 1 billion tons of nickel.  Its estimated
>>>worth was put at around 1 trillion dollars.

With all the discussion going on about NASA's budget, the timing of this
news (?) is too perfect.  Now, how can they tell the asteroid contained
platinum and not lead, just to give an example?

--
Raul A. Baragiola                               \Internet: raul@virginia.edu
Dept. Nuclear Engnr. and Engnr. Physics          \Phone: (804)-982-2907

shirriff@sprite.berkeley.edu (Ken Shirriff) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.122417.1@acad2.alaska.edu> asldh@acad2.alaska.edu writes:
[Asteroid with 10000 tons of gold and 100000 tons of platinum]
>is there anyone out there with easy access to the figures for world gold
and platinum production levels today?

1987: world gold production: 52.5 million troy ounces, of which the US
produced 10%.
world platinum group production: 8.668 million troy ounces.
(From US Statistical Abstracts)

52.5 million troy ounces = 1.6 million kilograms
10000 tons = 9 million kilograms

So the asteroid contains 5.6 years world gold production, and 338 years
platinum metals production (assuming I didn't blow the units conversions.)

Of course the entire asteroid won't end up on the world market at once.

(Someone said that the asteroid was small number ppm gold and thus wouldn't
be worth mining.  However, I would guess that the asteroid wouldn't be
homogeneous, and thus the high concentration areas might be worth mining.)

Ken Shirriff			shirriff@sprite.Berkeley.EDU

fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.223608.2087@agate.berkeley.edu> shirriff@sprite.berkeley.edu (Ken Shirriff) writes:

>So the asteroid contains 5.6 years world gold production, and 338 years
>platinum metals production (assuming I didn't blow the units conversions.)
>
>(Someone said that the asteroid was small number ppm gold and thus wouldn't
>be worth mining.  However, I would guess that the asteroid wouldn't be
>homogeneous, and thus the high concentration areas might be worth mining.)

One point is that the metals in the mass likely aren't going to be tied up in
combination with other elements such as oxygen, sulfur, etc.  They should be
closer to raw metal than to normal ores.

This isn't going to make much difference in the platinum-group metals and gold,
since they don't combine much...but the iron and nickel should be easier to
refine than they would normally be here dirtside.

No need (nor desire!) to bring the whole thing down in one lump sum, as it were,
btw.

--
------------
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes

u714092@eagle.larc.nasa.gov (prichard devon ) (06/12/91)

actually, we are secretly collecting those suckers and selling them on
the commodities market.  that's _why_ the price of precious metals has
been dropping.

coupla more years, and we'll all be living in Tahiti!

;) ;)

 | Devon Prichard                "The atrocious crime of being a young  |
 | u714092@eagle.larc.nasa.gov,   man... I shall neither attempt to     |
 | prichard@ias.larc.nasa.gov     palliate nor deny."                   |
 |                                William Pitt, House of Commons, 1741  |

shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer) (06/12/91)

Yo, people.  Look at the Newsgroups line and edit it accordingly.  This
has nothing to do with aeronautics.
--
Mary Shafer  shafer@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov  ames!skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov!shafer
           NASA Ames Dryden Flight Research Facility, Edwards, CA

hallvard@immhp3.marina.unit.no (Hallvard Paulsen) (06/12/91)

In article <sehari.676666308@du248-12.cc.iastate.edu>, sehari@iastate.edu (Sehari Babak) writes:
|> This article originally was posted in misc.invest. I thought it might be
|> interesting for this news group too.

	[stuff deleted]

|> This might be one of the first real applications of Space technology. I say
|> NASA should issue stocks to built a space craft to go and bring that thing
|> down.  This could open up another very lucrative investment, a side from
|> satellites.  The technology we gain could help us mine other things in the
|> space too.  Then, boldly going were no man has gone before makes business
|> sense to.
|>
|> I assume this could be possible if the price of gold goes much higher. let us
|> forget about mars and concentrate on this, for now. After all, who needs cheap
|> marsian dart.

	This sounds like a task for Donald Duck & Co. :-)

  \\___//
  |_____|       Research Engineer / Grad. Student
  || o ||       Division of Machinery
  || \\||       NORWEGIAN MARINE TECHNOLOGY RESEARCH INSTITUTE
      \\        TEL : +47 (07)595522
       o        FAX : +47 (07)595983
      //        EMAIL : hallvard@imm.unit.no

strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.202207.15680@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> rb9a@kelvin.seas.Virginia.EDU (Raul  Baragiola) writes:
}In article <sehari.676666308@du248-12.cc.iastate.edu> sehari@iastate.edu (Sehari Babak) writes:
}>This article originally was posted in misc.invest. I thought it might be
}>interesting for this news group too.
}>
}>In <1991Jun11.055227.2611@nas.nasa.gov> crayfe@nas.nasa.gov (Cray Hardware Support) writes:
}>
}>>I recently came across this article in sci.elctronics and thought it
}>>might be of interest since the recent discussion of where the price
}>>of gold might be going. Anybody care to comment?
}>
}>>In article <7Fs532w164w@spocom.guild.org>
}>>luns@spocom.guild.org (Luns Tee) writes:
}>>>>
}>
}
}With all the discussion going on about NASA's budget, the timing of this
}news (?) is too perfect.  Now, how can they tell the asteroid contained
}platinum and not lead, just to give an example?

Someone's been to the movies.  There was a movie called Outland a few
years back.  The plot revolved around a titanium mining operation on the
Jovian moon of Io.

--

Norm Strong  (strong@tc.fluke.com)
2528 31st S.   Seattle WA 98144   USA

jones@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (06/12/91)

sehari@iastate.edu (Sehari Babak) writes:
>crayfe@nas.nasa.gov (Cray Hardware Support) writes:
>>I recently came across this article in sci.elctronics and thought it
>>might be of interest since the recent discussion of where the price
>>of gold might be going. Anybody care to comment?

The price of gold will go way down if the market is flooded with it.
Gold based economies will be disturbed.

[deleted: discussion about the golden asteroid]

> I assume this could be possible if the price of gold goes much higher. let us
> forget about mars and concentrate on this, for now. After all, who needs cheap
> marsian dart.

Mars might have more to offer us than just cheap darts :-)
--
bob jones; Disclaimer: "I just said what?"; jones@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu

jdnicoll@watyew.uwaterloo.ca (James Davis Nicoll) (06/13/91)

In article <10265.28560852@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu> jones@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu writes:
>sehari@iastate.edu (Sehari Babak) writes:
>>crayfe@nas.nasa.gov (Cray Hardware Support) writes:
>>>I recently came across this article in sci.elctronics and thought it
>>>might be of interest since the recent discussion of where the price
>>>of gold might be going. Anybody care to comment?
>
>The price of gold will go way down if the market is flooded with it.
>Gold based economies will be disturbed.
>
>[deleted: discussion about the golden asteroid]
>
>> I assume this could be possible if the price of gold goes much higher. let us
>> forget about mars and concentrate on this, for now. After all, who needs cheap
>> marsian dart.
>
>Mars might have more to offer us than just cheap darts :-)

	The really sad thing is that the *cost* of getting the gold and
platinum out of the Golden Asteroid might well be an order or two (or more)
of magnitude higher than the value of the gold, especially if you dump
10,000 tons of gold on the market.

	Heh. Lets announce that there exists a plausible, cheap,
available to get the GA , and buy gold cheap while the panic lasts.

								James Nicoll

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) (06/13/91)

}>>>Today's Washington Post reports that an asteroid has been found orbiting the
>}>>>Sun at a distance of about 20 million miles from Earth (closest point).  It
>}>>>apparently contains 10000 tons of gold and 100000 tons of platinum, as well
>}>>>as 10 billion tons of iron and 1 billion tons of nickel.  Its estimated
>}>>>worth was put at around 1 trillion dollars.

   This sounds pretty suspicious.  The first problem is that gold is soft and
has a low melting point.  This would make it seem as if it wasn't an element
to be particularly popular among asteroids, and a quick glance at a table of
meteorite compositions makes me rather sure.  Platnum perhaps.
   The second problem is that space travel is very expensive.  I rather suspect
that it would cost a lot of money to get there, perhaps more than the material
is worth at the depressed prices that would result from the discovery.  Also
you'd probably want to refine it in orbit or in place, which isn't something
that anyone has tried yet.
   I haven't seen the Post article or the spectral data.  But I can tell you
that there are a lot of things out in space far more valuable than gold.
I refer to abstract things like knowledge, but also to concrete things like
vacuum :-).
--scott

myers@hpfcrlm.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (06/14/91)

>So this means the asteroid is no more than 0.001% platinum and 0.0001% gold.
>How does this compare with terrestrial ores? Besides, a body of 10^9 tons
>doesn't sound too feasable to "bring down" to Earth.

No one would seriously propose to bring 10^9 tons down - not when there's
more than enough energy, practically free for the taking, in space.  A
reasonably high orbit is the proper place for smelting this thing, then
you just drop the refined metals down in conveniently-sized batches.

Bob Myers            | "There is a law of inertia.  And I have found that of
myers@fc.hp.com      |  all the inert substances, the most inert is the

002@pnet16.cts.com (J.W.Cupp Lcdr/Usn) (06/14/91)

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) writes:
>}>>>Today's Washington Post reports that an asteroid has been found orbiting the
>>}>>>Sun at a distance of about 20 million miles from Earth (closest point).  It
>>}>>>apparently contains 10000 tons of gold and 100000 tons of platinum, as well
>>}>>>as 10 billion tons of iron and 1 billion tons of nickel.  Its estimated
You know, this is the old problem.  Part of gold's value is its rarity.  If
somehow an inexhaustable supply could be located and exploited, then
everyone's gold would become worth much less than it is now.  (Its primary
inherent value is from its electrical properties.)
                                     J. W. Cupp
= + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + = + =
Transmitting to you from the beautiful sunny shore of the Island of O'ahu,
somewhere in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  Aloha!

UUCP: humu!nctams1!pnet16!002            Naval Telecommunications Center
ARPA: humu!nctams!pnet16!002@nosc.mil    Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
INET: 002@pnet16.cts.com

I am solely and personally responsible for the all of the content of the above
post.  It is all merely my opinion, and not to be construed as anything else.

bobt@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Bob Tidrick) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun13.233605.12792@ncep1.uucp> 002@pnet16.cts.com (J.W.Cupp Lcdr/Usn) writes:
>everyone's gold would become worth much less than it is now.  (Its primary
>inherent value is from its electrical properties.)
>                                     J. W. Cupp

Not true. Its primary value is its resistance to corosion and its malability.
This does relate to electrical properties but is missleading.

--
                                                Bob Tidrick
                                                GPID Engineering

randyk@sequent.com (06/20/91)

>Today's Washington Post reports that an asteroid has been found orbiting the
>Sun at a distance of about 20 million miles from Earth (closest point).  It
>apparently contains 10000 tons of gold and 100000 tons of platinum, as well
>>as 10 billion tons of iron and 1 billion tons of nickel.  Its estimated
>worth was put at around 1 trillion dollars.

As I understand the issue, besides the engineering problems, there are several
legal issues as well.  Anything not manmade that is in space is unowned.  If
you spend millions getting a valuable meteor back to Earth orbit, anyone can
mine it.  If you mine it and throw the minerals back, anyone can intercept
it.  It isn't yours until you get it onto the Earth.

My information on this issue is almost a decade old now, does anyone have
anything newer?

has@ukc.ac.uk (H.A.Shaw) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun12.184554.4558@watdragon.waterloo.edu> jdnicoll@watyew.uwaterloo.ca (James Davis Nicoll) writes:

>	Heh. Lets announce that there exists a plausible, cheap,
>available to get the GA , and buy gold cheap while the panic lasts.

I'm sure I suggested some time ago that the gold (and other metals) producers
in the world (South Africa, USSR, etc...) would pay NASA well NOT to bring a
gold baring asteroid back to Earth and flood the market.  Remember that
blackmail is an old tradition in the world of the free market :-(

Email: has@ukc.ac.uk                         | Howard Allan Shaw.
                                             | The Unit for Space Science.
Phone: +44 227 764000 Extn: 3785             | Room 165, Physics Laboratory,
                                             | The University,
(nobody cares what I say anyway!)            | Canterbury, England.  CT2 7NR