[sci.electronics] R.A.M.

mingmar@cs.mcgill.ca (Ming MAR) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.143930.28999@eng.umd.edu> sdorsey@eng.umd.edu (Bill Dorsey) writes:
>I'm working with some RAM (Radar Absorbing Material) here at work

How does RAM work?

mingmar@cs.mcgill.ca (Ming MAR) (06/18/91)

In article <2003@ole.UUCP> ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) writes:

>   HaHaHaHaHa!.........     No, these things are not illegal, and I
>   am not laughing at that.  The thing about having RAM is fine and
>   dandy, but as you will find out (just as I did) is that the
>   shape and size of those things are so funny, your car will look
>   like a chameleon with overgrown spikes.
>   I attended a seminar at Univ. of Michigan, and the Prof gave a
>   neat lecture about radar, and told us about how those things
>   worked, and what you can do about it.

You'll notice that stealth aircraft don't look like chameleons with
overgrown spikes.  Do you have any idea how Radar Absorbing Materials
work?

ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) (06/18/91)

From article <1991Jun18.005130.28440@cs.mcgill.ca>, by mingmar@cs.mcgill.ca (Ming MAR):
> In article <2003@ole.UUCP> ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) writes:
>
> You'll notice that stealth aircraft don't look like chameleons with
> overgrown spikes.  Do you have any idea how Radar Absorbing Materials
> work?

   Stealth does use a RAM for *reducing* detection by radar. However,
   what gives it the "stealth" ability is not that, but the fact that
   the aerodynamics of the planes on the aircraft are such that no
   radar is reflected back to the originator.
   Now, if the question was to make it radar proof by changing the
   shape of your car, then I agree it can be done. But if you expect
   to get immunity to radar using RAM, dream on. You will certainly
   get a reduced return from such cars, but as I pointed out, it takes
   only a windshield or a head-lamp lens to get an accurate enough
   reading of the vehicle speed.

   So let me ask you your question. Do you have any idea how Stealth
   aerodynamics work?

   Shailendra
   ssave@caen.engin.umich.edu
   sumax!ole.uucp!ssave

ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun18.005130.28440@cs.mcgill.ca>, mingmar@cs.mcgill.ca (Ming MAR) writes:
> You'll notice that stealth aircraft don't look like chameleons with
> overgrown spikes.  Do you have any idea how Radar Absorbing Materials
> work?

  If RAM worked 100%, like you contend they do, how come
  Czechoslovakia has come out with a detection method which can detect
  the Stealth aircraft at 250 miles?

simich@oak.eecs.ucdavis.edu (Myron Simich) (06/20/91)

Somebody mentioned the 2 ft triangular absorber that is used in RAM.
This is not the only kind that is available.  I use a type of RAM that
looks like a piece of vinal but is much heavier.  The frequency range
that it is used for is from 2 Ghz up to 26 Ghz.  Cost is approx. $55/sq ft.
Works well for what I need it for but I don't know how well it would
work on a car.  There is also another type that looks like black
styrofoam (sp) but is flexible.  I have used this type down around the
3 to 5 Ghz range.  This type is much cheaper (I forget the exact price).
Neither of them have the funny triangular look.  Just to let everybody
know.

M.Simich

skeffing@motcid.UUCP (John F. Skeffington) (06/21/91)

In article <2017@ole.UUCP> ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) writes:
>In article <1991Jun18.005130.28440@cs.mcgill.ca>, mingmar@cs.mcgill.ca (Ming MAR) writes:
>> You'll notice that stealth aircraft don't look like chameleons with
>> overgrown spikes.  Do you have any idea how Radar Absorbing Materials
>> work?
>
>  If RAM worked 100%, like you contend they do, how come
>  Czechoslovakia has come out with a detection method which can detect
>  the Stealth aircraft at 250 miles?

Where have you heard about this new detection method?  I do not recall
any knowledgable person on stealth technology claiming the aircraft was
invisiable to radar, rather it was difficult to detect.  The implication
of being able to detect a stealth aircraft at 250 miles woufd be that
it could detect a "normal" aircraft at several times that distance.  I
find this very interesting and would like to know more about it.

John Skeffington

joel@cfctech.cfc.com (Joel Lessenberry) (06/22/91)

In article <7372@celery15.UUCP> skeffing@motcid.UUCP (John F. Skeffington) writes:
>In article <2017@ole.UUCP> ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) writes:
>>In article <1991Jun18.005130.28440@cs.mcgill.ca>, mingmar@cs.mcgill.ca (Ming MAR) writes:
>>  If RAM worked 100%, like you contend they do, how come
>>  Czechoslovakia has come out with a detection method which can detect
>>  the Stealth aircraft at 250 miles?
>
>Where have you heard about this new detection method?  I do not recall
>any knowledgable person on stealth technology claiming the aircraft was
>invisiable to radar, rather it was difficult to detect.  The implication
>of being able to detect a stealth aircraft at 250 miles woufd be that
>it could detect a "normal" aircraft at several times that distance.  I
>find this very interesting and would like to know more about it.

   The radars which can detect the stealth fighter are in fact mostly
   older, long wavelength systems.

   Some of these systems are classed as Over The Horizen systems, because	   they give some coverage past line of site. The long wavelengh, low
   frequency can be bounced by the upper atmosphere.

   However, the spatial accuracy of a radar coorespondes to frequency.
   The higher the freq. the greater the accuracy.

   I have heard that while detectable, you only know that the aircraft
   is ... over that away....

                          joel

 Joel Lessenberry, Distributed Systems | +1 313 948 3342
 joel@cfctech.UUCP                     | Chrysler Financial Corp.
 joel%cfctech.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu | MIS, Technical Services
 {sharkey|mailrus}!cfctech!joel        | 2777 Franklin, Sfld, MI

tedwards@aplcomm.JHUAPL.EDU (Edwards Thomas G S1A x8297) (06/22/91)

In article <7372@celery15.UUCP> skeffing@motcid.UUCP (John F. Skeffington) writes:
>In article <2017@ole.UUCP> ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) writes:
>>  If RAM worked 100%, like you contend they do, how come
>>  Czechoslovakia has come out with a detection method which can detect
>>  the Stealth aircraft at 250 miles?

>Where have you heard about this new detection method?  I do not recall
>any knowledgable person on stealth technology claiming the aircraft was
>invisiable to radar, rather it was difficult to detect.  The implication
>of being able to detect a stealth aircraft at 250 miles woufd be that
>it could detect a "normal" aircraft at several times that distance.  I
>find this very interesting and would like to know more about it.

Not actually.  RAM does a fine job of attenuating reflection of radio
transmissions over a range of frequencies.  For a single frequency radar
operating within the reflection attenuation band of the RAM, it will be
very difficult to detect it.

However, it is possible to implement a "chirped" radar system or a
multiple xmitter radar site which is capable of integrating reflection
information over a large range of frequencies to bring a stealth aricraft
signal out of the noise.

The moral of the story is that while the U.S.S.R. might be capable of
producing anti-stealth radar (assuming they can get enough info on the
stealth aircrafts to do proper testing of the system), a small country with
less technical knowledge and money would find this much more difficult.
The radar sets required to detect it will be more complex and expensive than
normal radar systems (and being more complex may make it more prone to failure).

Also radar xmitters trying to detect stealth aircraft will be easily
identifiable, and it may be difficult to implement a stealth-proof radar
system which can fit into a fighter.

Any defense one can build will be an easy target for someone else's
offense...

-Tom

hermann@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (hermann) (06/22/91)

In article <7372@celery15.UUCP> skeffing@motcid.UUCP (John F. Skeffington) writes:
   ... The implication
   of being able to detect a stealth aircraft at 250 miles woufd be that
   it could detect a "normal" aircraft at several times that distance.  I
   find this very interesting and would like to know more about it.

I believe that those large (drivein theatre screen-sized) phased array radars
you see in some of the journals from time to time use "back-scattering". To
my understanding backscattering bounces signals off the upper layers of
atmosphere to "see" over the horizon. Added benefit is looking "down" on your
target, negating the effect of head-on countermeasures (stealth aircraft
emphasize reducing the "head-on" radar signature).

I have heard that large coastal phased arrays were used in the eastern block
for a few years before the west started using them.

|  Mike Hermann  | hermann@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
_Organized_ religion is like organized crime: it preys on people's weakness,
generates huge profits, and is nearly impossible to eradicate.

mingmar@cs.mcgill.ca (Ming MAR) (06/24/91)

In article <2005@ole.UUCP> ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) writes:
>   Stealth does use a RAM for *reducing* detection by radar.

No argument from me.

In article <2005@ole.UUCP> ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) writes:
>From article <1991Jun18.005130.28440@cs.mcgill.ca>, by mingmar@cs.mcgill.ca (Ming MAR):
>> Do you have any idea how Radar Absorbing Materials
>> work?

I had posted a follow-up article asking the originator of this
thread (Bill Dorsey) to explain how radar absorbing materials
work.  I didn't get a response.

I later asked you but since you gave no explanation, I'll assume
you have no idea how radar absorbing materials work.  Thus far, I
haven't seen anyone in this newsgroup explain how it works.

Can anyone here explain how radar absorbing materials work?

>   the aerodynamics of the planes on the aircraft are such that no
>   radar is reflected back to the originator.

Radar cross-section is reduced but not eliminated.  Generally
speaking, I'm not disagreeing -- merely quibbling.

>   it takes
>   only a windshield or a head-lamp lens to get an accurate enough
>   reading of the vehicle speed.

Are you saying that the windshield glass reflects radar back to
the gun?

>   So let me ask you your question. Do you have any idea how Stealth
>   aerodynamics work?

You started your article on that very topic, so... if I didn't
know before, I know now.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "stealth aerodynamics."  I
am an aerodynamicist.  I received my Master of Engineering from
the University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Studies in
1977.  You tell me what you mean by "stealth aerodynamics" and
I'll tell you if I know anything about it.  That part of the
discussion can be conducted in sci.aeronautics.

Now, getting back on track, yes, I am aware of the technique of
redirecting reflections away from the illuminator.  What I don't
know is how Radar Absorbing Materials work.  (I have my own
ideas, but I'd like to know for sure.)

You said that you took a course in radar technology and said that
a stealthy car would look like a bumpy chameleon.  I assume you
mean the type of pyramids one finds in an anechoic chamber.  I
said that stealthy cars don't have to look like that and gave
aircraft as examples of non-bumpy vehicles.

I hadn't intended to answer your article, but then you posted
another one <2017@ole.UUCP> wherein you said:

>  If RAM worked 100%, like you contend they do, how come
>  Czechoslovakia has come out with a detection method which can
>  detect the Stealth aircraft at 250 miles?

I have never implicitely or explicitely contend that RAM reduces
radar cross-section to zero.  If that is the _only_ point you
wish to make, then fine, we are not in disagreement.

I haven't heard of any breakthroughs from Czechoslovakia.
Perhaps you could supply details?  A couple of people in this
newsgroup, Mike Hermann and Joel Lessenberry, suggested
Over-The-Horizon-Backscatter as a surveillance tool.  Tom
Edwards suggested Ultra Wide Bandwidth, presumably for target
acquisition.  Apparently, noone else has heard anything about
Czechoslovakia.

Last year, there were reports out of Saudi Arabia about radar
detection of F-117's.  For your edification, I include below my
translation of an article about it.  Remember, the article was
written before the F-117 was able to prove itself in the war.

From "L'Express International" 21 September 1990 (the Stealth
Fighter sighted issue):

On cover:  "Gulf:  The American invisible airplane detected by French
radar"

On page 19:

Exclusive

The radar that snared the stealth airplane

Nasty surprise for the Americans:  the Saudi Shahine system, contructed
by Thomson, detects the F-117A.  And obliges them to reconsider their
device.

The American stealth plane F-117A was spotted several times by the
French radar of the Shahine ground-to-air missile system in Saudi
Arabia.  This information, gathered last week from sources close to the
Saudi army, puts into question the American device deployed in that
country.  To shelter them from a possible detection by the Iraqis, the
commander of the U.S. Air Force has immediately transfered the bombers
of this type to a base in the southwest of the Saudi kingdom, next to
the Red Sea, near Yemen.

The F-117A, the latest in American technology, was designed "for
penetration in a high threat density environment and for attacking high
strategic value targets."  The unsuspected performance of the radar
which equipes the Shahine missile batteries, constructed by Thomson-CSF
for Saudi Arabia, were obtained during flights of the bomber near the
sites where the anti-air defense system is installed.  The pulse-Doppler
surveillance radar thus came to snare, several times, the invisible
plane at a distance of about 17 kilometers.  The computer was able to
integrate sufficiently the characteristics as to establish an actual
signature of the F-117A, this permits the system to recognize
immediately the target.  The probability of destruction of a target by
the Shahine is 90% with one missile and 99% in the case of a
simultaneous firing of two missiles.

The stealth plane, of which the principal characteristics are very
angular forms and a special radar signature reducing covering, is on the
other hand lacking in aerodynamic qualities and manageability.  Its
speed is no faster than "high subsonic," it peaks at 900 km/h.  Spotted
by radar, the F-117A has nothing but its jamming system and chaff to try
to escape the missiles.  Entered into service in October 1983, this
airplane has been put to the test on numerous radar systems.  With
success.  And even if its bombing capability, tested in the month of
December 1989 in Panama, was revealed as mediocre, the program was
considered a success.

It seems that, aside from the intrinsic capability of the Shahine, the
clean conditions in Saudi Arabia favored the spotting of the F-117A --
far horizon, heat and reverberation, diffusion of electromagnetic waves.
What ever the cause, its detection by radar, whatever the reason, puts
into question the very design of the aircraft -- its developement and
construction of 59 copies will cost a total of $6.5 billion.

It is a contract of $4 billion that Thomson-CSF, prime contractor --
with Giat (Groupement industriel des armements terrestres) and Matra --
signed in 1984 with Saudi Arabia for the delivery of an anti-air defense
system baptized Shahine, "Falcon Eye."  The Shahine, developed
exclusively for Riyad starting from Crotale missiles, today find
themselves on the front lines of defense of the Saudi kingdom.  This
position explains the discretion of Thomson-CSF concerning the
performance of its equipment.  The electronic systems division,
contacted by L'Express, refuses all comments.  "We wish to neither
confirm nor deny this performance.  Several Thomson employees are on
the other side with the French and foreign hostages, and we can't say
anything while they're in Iraq."  They add that the Saudi clients don't
like superfluous comments.

A certain number of Thomson-CSF employees are in Iraq, posted for the
maintenance of the radar system sold to Iraq and of its mobile version
installed on board Ilyushin aircraft.  Do the Iraqis also have the
means to detect the F-117A?  They are equiped with a French anti-air
system, the Roland, manufactured by Euromissile.  The Iraqis today
possess 14 AMX-30 tanks equiped with Roland and have at their disposal
133 Roland 1 and Roland 2 launch sites.  Their arsenal has grown to
2,780 missiles, whose performance is however inferior to that of the
Shahine.  Besides, in order for the Iraqi system to come to discover the
F-117A signature, the radar has to identify it several times.  It is
unlikely that the Americans will give them that opportunity.

Nevertheless, it is likely, sooner or later, that other radar will be
able to, like Shahine, identify the F-117A, constraining the expensive
stealthy bomber to a brief carreer.

 -- <by> Jean-Michel Caradec'h

And, for what it's worth, I remember reading in _Aviation_Week_
that an American anti-aircraft radar failed to lock-on an F-117
even after visual sighting.  Aviation Week also had an issue
concentrating on anti-stealth technology.

In article <9207@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> simich@oak.eecs.ucdavis.edu (Myron Simich) writes:
> I use a type of RAM that looks like a piece of vinal but is much
> heavier.  ....  There is also another type that looks like black
> styrofoam (sp) but is flexible.

Do you know how this stuff works?  Do you know if this is the
same stuff used on aircraft?

ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) (06/24/91)

From article <1991Jun24.055534.24442@cs.mcgill.ca>, by mingmar@cs.mcgill.ca (Ming MAR):

  [A real nice and well compiled article deleted]

  The only point I am trying to make, is that no matter what you put
  on your car for RAM, there is enough cross-section of non-RAM
  material left on it to give a good radar reading.  You can't
  radar-proof it using RAM.  You will definitely reduce the chances of
  getting detected, (since the radar system will only register the
  largest echo) and give you more time to slow down. Now, if you were
  planning to bomb/shoot/destroy the police car in question, you would
  definately be more successful than if didn't have RAM. This,
  incidently, is the principle of operation of the Stealth aircraft.
  Conventional aircraft radar *can* detect the Stealth at 37 miles,
  as opposed to normal aircraft at about 250-300 miles.

  Talking about the chameleon type spikes, yes, I was talking about
  the chamber material.  It combines RAM with obtuse angle deflection.

  About the Chez's new radar, I don't have any details, only what they
  talked on BBC and later on NPR.

  Thank you for a nice article, and taking so much time to type it in.

  Shailendra
  ssave@caen.engin.umich.edu
  sumax!ole.uucp!ssave

pierson@ggone.enet.dec.com (Dave Pierson) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.055534.24442@cs.mcgill.ca>, mingmar@cs.mcgill.ca
(Ming MAR) writes...
>I had posted a follow-up article asking the originator of this
>thread (Bill Dorsey) to explain how radar absorbing materials
>work.  I didn't get a response.
	From the published information, and EMI work (including anechoic
	chambers), consider a nonconductor, (glass, ceramic, plastic, loaded
	with carbon (lossy conductor) or ferrite.  Efectivenss will vary with
	thickness, wavelength of threat.  For a fixed threat frequency (police
	radar) a fixed thickness should do.  IF the elements providing the
	return ar properly identified and suppressed.

>Last year, there were reports out of Saudi Arabia about radar
>detection of F-117's.  For your edification, I include below my
>translation of an article about it.  Remember, the article was
>written before the F-117 was able to prove itself in the war.
	Thanks.  I can think of some questions to ask but....

thanks
dave pierson			|the facts, as accurately as i can manage,
Digital Equipment Corporation	|the opinions, my own.
600 Nickerson Rd
Marlboro, Mass
01752				pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com
"He has read everything, and, to his credit, written nothing."  A J Raffles

simnet@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark R Poulson) (06/25/91)

> >>  If RAM worked 100%, like you contend they do, how come
> >>  Czechoslovakia has come out with a detection method which can detect
> >>  the Stealth aircraft at 250 miles?

The version of this story I heard was that they detected the "emissions that
were necessary for an aircraft to fly at low altitudes". I have no idea which
emissions they were referring to (or even if the press got it correct), and
whether these emissions would be "on" in wartime or not.

Anyway, the story didn't say anything about detecting the stealth plane
with RADAR.

		Mark

simich@elm.eecs.ucdavis.edu (Myron Simich) (06/26/91)

As I understand it, and I have not made any real effort to explore the
nitty gritty as to how it is done, the material acts as an attenuator
at microwave frequencies.  As a microwave signal impacts upon this
type of material and penetrates into it, the signal is dramatically
attenuated.  This means that real part of the propagation coefficient
gamma is real.  For any real part of gamma greater than zero there is
an expnential decay of a wave in the material.

Of course the material should have an impedance such that the majority
of the wave is absorbed into the material and not reflected.  I assume
that this has been taken into account (the material works quite well in
the research that I have been doing so it would seem that this is the
case).

As far as I know, this is not the same material user in stealth aircraft.
I believe that they use some sort of carbon fiber material but I am not
sure.

Again, let me state that this is *my* understanding of how the material
works.  I don't claim that this is *exactly* the way it works, just my
understanding of how it works.

Myron Simich
Simich@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu

wiml@milton.u.washington.edu (William Lewis) (06/28/91)

In article <4189@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> simnet@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark R Poulson) writes:
>The version of this story I heard was that they detected the "emissions that
>were necessary for an aircraft to fly at low altitudes". I have no idea which
>emissions they were referring to (or even if the press got it correct), and
>whether these emissions would be "on" in wartime or not.

     Perhaps they were referring to the IR signature. The engine exhaust
is significantly hotter than the surrounding air, and so emits infrared
radiation that can presumably be detected. It would be pretty hard to
turn this "off", though I bet people are trying ...

     Someone else pointed out in this newsgroup that the bow wave
(shock wave for supersonic craft?) is detectable by radar.

--
 wiml@milton.acs.washington.edu       Seattle, Washington
     (William Lewis)   |  47 41' 15" N   122 42' 58" W