[sci.electronics] Composite signals and TVs

kolstad@CAE.WISC.EDU (06/28/91)

Hi, all...

	I'm a "EE in training" (Junior year...) and would like to find some
information on what composite TV siganals are made of.  What I really want to
do is to send data from a microcontroller to a TV, but I believe that using
composite video and a pre-made RF modulator module is the easiest way
to do this.

	Actually, if there are some nice chips out there that give you, say,
couple hundred by a hundred or so dots of resolution by just attaching
RAM on one side and an RF modulator on the other, I'd be happy to hear about
them -- the actual makeup of the composite signal wouldn't worry me as much,
then.

	So, if anyone can make suggestions on chips or books containing this
kind of information, I'd appreciate you e-mail telling me where to find them.
Thanks for the help.

						---Joel Kolstad
						kolstad@cae.wisc.edu

mzenier@polari.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (06/29/91)

In article <9106281438.AA14158@ws-30.cae.wisc.edu> kolstad@CAE.WISC.EDU writes:
>	Actually, if there are some nice chips out there that give you, say,
>couple hundred by a hundred or so dots of resolution by just attaching
>RAM on one side and an RF modulator on the other, I'd be happy to hear about
>them -- the actual makeup of the composite signal wouldn't worry me as much,
>then.

For low resolution, like 192*256, there are a couple of old chips.
The Motorola MC6847, used in the Radio Shack Color Computer, and
the TMS9118 family (9128, 9138?).

For application examples, Ciarcia used the 9118 in one of his first
home control computer systems.

Mark Zenier  markz@ssc.uucp  mzenier@polari.uucp

bender@oobleck.Eng.Sun.COM (memory fault - core dumped) (06/29/91)

In article <9106281438.AA14158@ws-30.cae.wisc.edu> kolstad@CAE.WISC.EDU writes:
->
->	I'm a "EE in training" (Junior year...) and would like to find some
->information on what composite TV siganals are made of.  What I really want to
->do is to send data from a microcontroller to a TV, but I believe that using
->composite video and a pre-made RF modulator module is the easiest way
->to do this.
->
->	Actually, if there are some nice chips out there that give you, say,
->couple hundred by a hundred or so dots of resolution by just attaching
->RAM on one side and an RF modulator on the other, I'd be happy to hear about
->them -- the actual makeup of the composite signal wouldn't worry me as much,
->then.

what about these suggestions:

	1. get an old CGA board for a couple of bucks and build up
		a simple interface from your micro to the board, so
		that the board thinks it's in a PC

	2. buy a VIC-20 or C-64, pull the video controller out and build
		up the rest of the stuff around it; you could probably
		even use Commodore's design, since I believe that they
		furnished schematics with the VIC-20 and C-64

mike
1985 Honda Shadow VT1100                                   | DOD #000007
1989 Honda NX-650                                          | AMA #511250