[sci.electronics] Cellular Telephone and Battery Life

m937290@usna.NAVY.MIL (Midn. Norman R. Solis) (06/29/91)

I recently purchased a 'really cheap' cellular phone from Circuit City.
Of course, the phone is not exactly the greatest thing in the world but
it does work.  My question is this:  the battery supplied with the system
doesn't hold enough charge to satisfy my requirements.  An AC and a DC
adapter are supplied with the phone to charge the battery but the DC adapter
is the traditional cigarette lighter variety and the phone will not operate
properly with the AC adapter plugged in.  The manual says that you cannot
operate the phone with the AC adapter plugged in but you can with the DC
adapter because 'the DC adapter cable supplies enough power to run the
phone and trickle charge the battery.'  The current AC adapter is 12VDC @
800 ma.  If I buy an adapter with a larger power rating (like 1200 or 1500
ma) then should I be able to operate the phone from the AC adapter?  Both
the DC and AC adapters plug into the same jack on the phone.

BTW, the phone is a Novatel model no. HP3032.

-Rich Solis

--
N Richard Solis		m937290@n1.usna.navy.mil		GO NAVY!
USNA 33rd Company	m937290@midn.ecs.usna.navy.mil		BEAT ARMY!

fiedler@netcom.COM (David Fiedler) (06/29/91)

m937290@usna.NAVY.MIL (Midn. Norman R. Solis) writes:

>you cannot
>operate the phone with the AC adapter plugged in but you can with the DC
>adapter because 'the DC adapter cable supplies enough power to run the
>phone and trickle charge the battery.'  The current AC adapter is 12VDC @
>800 ma.  If I buy an adapter with a larger power rating (like 1200 or 1500
>ma) then should I be able to operate the phone from the AC adapter?  Both
>the DC and AC adapters plug into the same jack on the phone.

I'm almost positive you're right. The same thing happened when I bought my
Panasonic TP500. Instead of paying $85 for their AC adapter, I made one
from the supplied plug and a 1 amp power supply from Radio Snack. If
you're already at 800 ma. you can't be too far off.
--
David Fiedler       UUCP:{ames,mrspoc,hoptoad}!infopro!david        AIR: N3717R
"Video for Computer Professionals"   BIX: fiedler  Internet: fiedler@netcom.com