[sci.electronics] Detecting Stealth Aircraft & Other Sundry Radar Info

ornitz@kodak.kodak.com (Barry Ornitz) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.055534.24442@cs.mcgill.ca> mingmar@cs.mcgill.ca
(Ming MAR) writes:
>Can anyone here explain how radar absorbing materials work?

In principle, these materials present a resistive impedance to the illuminating
wavefront.  The radar waves are converted to heat.  In practice, no radar
absorbing material is perfect.  Tricks with the geometry are often done to
enhance the absorption at particular frequency bands (like making the thickness
of the absorber an electrical half wavelength so the reflected wave from the
underlying metal surface is out of phase with the wave reflected from the
surface of the absorber - by adjusting the absorption you can get enhanced
performance with the destructive interference between the two waves).  Spiked
geometry is often used to minimize the effects of impedance matching the
absorber.

>Radar cross-section is reduced but not eliminated.  Generally
>speaking, I'm not disagreeing -- merely quibbling.
>
>>   it takes
>>   only a windshield or a head-lamp lens to get an accurate enough
>>   reading of the vehicle speed.
>
>Are you saying that the windshield glass reflects radar back to
>the gun?

Of course it does.  Glass has a dielectric constant higher than air.  It is
not as good a reflector as metal, of course, but radar waves do reflect off
glass.  The same can be said for any material, of course.  It is merely a
matter of radar cross section as to whether a police radar gun has acceptable
range to the officer. Diminish the radar's range enough and it will be useless.

>I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "stealth aerodynamics."  I
>am an aerodynamicist.  I received my Master of Engineering from
>the University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Studies in
>1977.  You tell me what you mean by "stealth aerodynamics" and
>I'll tell you if I know anything about it.  That part of the
>discussion can be conducted in sci.aeronautics.
>ideas, but I'd like to know for sure.)

As an aerodynamicist, you should know all aircraft produce a bow wave of
slightly compressed air in front of the aircraft (this is getting beyond my
expertise here!).  This bow wave, being composed of air of slightly greater
density than the surrounding air, will have a slightly higher dielectric
constant.  Once again, radar can pick up this dielectric discontinuity - even
if the plane is made of perfectly absorbing materials.  This effect will be
small, but it will be there.

>I have never implicitely or explicitely contend that RAM reduces
>radar cross-section to zero.  If that is the _only_ point you
>wish to make, then fine, we are not in disagreement.

					Barry
 -----------------
 -----------------

mingmar@cs.mcgill.ca (Ming MAR) (06/30/91)

In article <11351@idunno.Princeton.EDU> stratton@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. Alexander Stratton) writes:
>In article enno@technix.oz.au (Enno Davids) writes:
>>
>>On reading this it struck me that Stealth should be quite visible on the
>>Doppler radar systems used at some airports to look for 'wind shear' and
>>otherwise track moving air. Comments?
>>
> To detect wind shear with doppler radar,
>the moving air mass must possess enough moisture or aerosol content to
>provide enough return signal to the radar. But I'd like to hear what some
>radar experts think.

I've cross-posted this because there doesn't seem to be any radar
expertise in the sci.aeronautics newsgroup.  One question that comes
to mind is:  what kind of range does a wind shear detection system
have anyway?