[comp.os.misc] "USG" UNIX

phyllis@bcsaic.UUCP (Phyllis Melvin) (01/14/87)

I see occasional references to "USG Unix", evidently referring
to System 3 or 5.  What does "USG" stands for?

--
Phyllis Melvin			uucp:     ...uw-beaver!uw-june!bcsaic!phyllis
(206)865-3210                   arpanet:  phyllis@boeing.com

shap@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Shapiro) (01/21/87)

In article <170@bcsaic.UUCP>, phyllis@bcsaic.UUCP (Phyllis Melvin) writes:
> What does "USG" stands for?

USG is the Unix Systems Group, the group within AT&T which is responsible
for UNIX product development. USG UNIX refers to those versions of UNIX
which have come from this group.

Jon Shapiro

> USG is the Unix Systems Group, the group within AT&T which is responsible
> for UNIX product development. USG UNIX refers to those versions of UNIX
> which have come from this group.

Ah, if only it were that simple.  There have been at least two different
groups within AT&T called "USG" over the years, and I don't believe there
is one now -- it was transmogrified to "USDL", and has probably changed
further since.  If you thought the history of Unix outside AT&T was tangled,
you have no concept of the mess within AT&T.
--
Legalize			Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
freedom!			{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry