[comp.os.misc] Info wanted on Xerox Alto OS

aad+@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (06/14/87)

CMU has what's left of a good percentage of all the altos ever made.  As far
as I can tell, the console is the only terminal you can have.  I'm still
trying to figure out the two that our computer club just got, but I know that
a good number of the really groovy games for the alto were written in bcpl.
Yes, bcpl.  Xerox's pride was Mesa, however.

jef@unisoft.UUCP (06/18/87)

In the referenced article, aad+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony A. Datri) wrote:
>Xerox's pride was Mesa, however.

Wrong tense.  Mesa is still in use, and is unquestionably the best
Algol-style language yet created.  All the power and safety of Ada
and Modula-2, with none of their verbosity and syntactic stupidities.
---
Jef

 Jef Poskanzer  unisoft!jef@ucbvax.Berkeley.Edu  ...ucbvax!unisoft!jef
"42. Sometimes I find it hard to conceal the fact that I am not angry."

kees@praxis.co.uk (Kees Goossens) (06/22/87)

In article <415@unisoft.UUCP> jef@unisoft.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) writes:
>In the referenced article, aad+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony A. Datri) wrote:
>>Xerox's pride was Mesa, however.
>
>Wrong tense.  Mesa is still in use, and is unquestionably the best
>Algol-style language yet created.  All the power and safety of Ada
>and Modula-2, with none of their verbosity and syntactic stupidities.
>---
>Jef
>
> Jef Poskanzer  unisoft!jef@ucbvax.Berkeley.Edu  ...ucbvax!unisoft!jef
>"42. Sometimes I find it hard to conceal the fact that I am not angry."

Could you give me some pointers to (introductionary) books/articles
about Mesa please?

An Algol68 lover...

---------------------------------+----------------------------------------------
Kees Goossens             o      | "En nu lieve kijkbuis kinderen: Oogjes dicht
kees@praxis.uucp          |Rood  |  en snaveltjes toe. Slaap lekker!"
kees@praxis.co.uk         |Wit   |                             -- Meneer de Uil.
...!mcvax!ukc!praxis!kees |Blauw |
------------------------~~^~~----+----------------------------------------------

lindsay@cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk (Lindsay F. Marshall) (06/24/87)

In article <415@unisoft.UUCP> jef@unisoft.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) writes:
>Mesa is still in use, and is unquestionably the best
>Algol-style language yet created.

Sorry, but I would question it!! I think mesa is a dreadful language.

>  All the power and safety of Ada
>and Modula-2, with none of their verbosity and syntactic stupidities.

Mesa is the most verbose Algol-like language I have ever used (much
worse than Ada) and it is full of the most ridiculous syntax I have ever
come across.  As for it's much vaunted type safety, if you look at any
large programs written in it they all make massive use of the "loophole"
facility to avoid the type-checking.......

Lindsay

--
Lindsay F. Marshall
JANET: lindsay@uk.ac.newcastle.cheviot  ARPA: lindsay%cheviot.newcastle@ucl-cs