[comp.os.misc] Mesa references

jennifer@cwi.nl (Jennifer Steiner) (06/24/87)

In article <822@newton.praxis.co.uk> kees@praxis.co.uk (Kees Goossens) writes:
>Could you give me some pointers to (introductionary) books/articles
>about Mesa please?
>
>An Algol68 lover...

Here is a list of the references I've found for Mesa:

--------

%T Experience with Processes and Monitors in Mesa
%A B.W. Lampson
%A D.D. Redell
%Y Xerox Corporation
3333 Coyote Hill Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304
%J Communications of the ACM
%V 23
%N 2
%P 105-117
%D February 1980
%X The use of monitors for describing concurrency has been much discussed
in the literature.  When monitors are used in real systems of any size,
however, a number of problems arise which have not been adequately dealt
with:  the semantics of nested monitor calls; the various ways of
defining the meaning of WAIT; priority scheduling; handling of timeouts,
aborts and other exceptional conditions; interactions with process
creation and destruction; monitoring large numbers of small objects.
These problems are addressed by the facilities described here for
concurrent programming in Mesa.  Experience with several substantial
applications gives us some confidence in the validity of our solutions.
%K concurrency, condition variable, deadlock, monitor, operating system,
process, synchronization, task

%T The Impact of Mesa on System Design
%A H.C. Lauer
%A E.H. Satterhwaite
%J Proceedings 4th Intl. Conf. Software Engineering
%I IEEE
%C Munich
%D 1979
%P 174-182
%X The Mesa programming language supports program modularity in ways
that permit subsystems to be developed separately but to be bound
together with complete type safety.  Separate and explicit interface
definitions provide an effective means of communication, both between
programs and between programmers.  A configuration language describes
the organization of a system and controls the scopes of interfaces.
These facilities have had a profound impact on the way we design systems
and organize development projects.  This paper reports out recent
experience with Mesa, particularly its use in the development of an
operating system.  It illustrates techniques for designing interfaces,
for using the interface language as a specification language, and for
organizing a system to achieve the practical benefits of programs
modularity without sacrificing strict type-checking.

%T Mesa Language Manual, Version 5.0
%A J.G. Mitchell
%A W. Maybury
%A R. Sweet
%I Xerox PARC
%R CSL-79-3
%C Palo Alto, CA
%D April 1979

%T Early Experience with Mesa
%A C.M. Geschke
%A J.H. Morris Jr.
%A E.H. Satterthwaite
%J CACM
%D August 1977
%V 20
%N 8
%P 540-553
%X The experiences of Mesa's first users -- primarily its implementers
-- are discussed, and some implications for Mesa and similar programming
languages are suggested.  The specific topics addressed are: module
structure and its use in defining abstractions, data-structuring
facilities in Mesa, an equivalence algorithm for types and type
coercions, the benefits of the type system and why it is breached
occasionally, and the difficulty of making the treatment of variant
records safe.

--------

Tot je dienst,

Jennifer Steiner