[comp.os.misc] OS co-processor ??

amit@umn-cs.UUCP (Neta Amit) (10/07/87)

We're are looking into a co-processor that takes over certain OS tasks.
Specifically, we're thinking about scheduling, interrupts and swaps.
Possibly deadlock resolution.

Any thoughts? References to the literature?

Thanx in advance,
		--Neta Amit (amit@umn-cs.arpa  or  amit@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu)
                  University of Minnesota CSci

--
--Neta Amit (amit@umn-cs.arpa)
  University of Minnesota CSci

eeproks@pyr.gatech.EDU (Robert Viduya) (10/08/87)

In article <2272@umn-cs.UUCP> amit@umn-cs.UUCP (Neta Amit) writes:
>We're are looking into a co-processor that takes over certain OS tasks.
>Specifically, we're thinking about scheduling, interrupts and swaps.
>Possibly deadlock resolution.
>
>Any thoughts? References to the literature?
>
>Thanx in advance,
>		--Neta Amit (amit@umn-cs.arpa  or  amit@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu)
>                  University of Minnesota CSci
>
>--
>--Neta Amit (amit@umn-cs.arpa)
>  University of Minnesota CSci

I seem to recall some Intel literature about a co-processor to the iAPX-86
series that supported iRMX.  I think it was called the 80130 or something
like that.  Check with Intel.

K. J. Seefried iii
School of Information and Computer Science
P.O. Box 30104, Georgia Insitute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
uucp: ...!{decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,rutgers,seismo}!gatech!ken
internet: ken@gatech.edu

jdu@ihopa.ATT.COM (John Unruh) (10/08/87)

In article <2272@umn-cs.UUCP>, amit@umn-cs.UUCP (Neta Amit) writes:
> We're are looking into a co-processor that takes over certain OS tasks.
> Specifically, we're thinking about scheduling, interrupts and swaps.
> Possibly deadlock resolution.
>
> Any thoughts? References to the literature?

If I remember correctly, many (if not all) of the CDC 6000 series computers
used operating systems that ran mostly in the peripheral processors.  This
freed the CPU to crunch numbers.  Some of these operating systems were
fairly efficeint, but I never used one that was "nice" for an interactive
user.  They seemed to be very good at batch throughput.
                                  John Unruh
                                  ihnp4!ihlpk!jdu

dennisg@felix.UUCP (Dennis Griesser) (10/14/87)

In article <4171@pyr.gatech.EDU> eeproks@pyr.UUCP (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
>I seem to recall some Intel literature about a co-processor to the iAPX-86
>series that supported iRMX.  I think it was called the 80130 or something
>like that.  Check with Intel.

But you won't like it.

If I remember correctly, this part is NOT a co-processor, but a bundle of
peripheral hardware, like a Priority Interrupt Controller and some timers,
and some firmware all in one chip.

Intel seems to have quietly dropped the thing.  I couldn't find more than
a passing reference to it in a quick pass over the Intel catalogs.

But hey, there are a lot of Intel folks on the net.  Perhaps one of them
could provide us with more info...