[comp.os.misc] OS internals texts?

azad@hdr.UUCP (10/23/87)

I am interested in using different operating systems for my classes.
For that reason I would like to know if there are any text books available on
the internal of some common operating systems like VMS,IBM, and Unix. I
certainly appreciate your help.

	Azad M.H.
	{akgua, ihnp4}!ohgua!ugn!hdr!azad

gad@cadnetix.UUCP (Gordon Durand) (10/29/87)

In article <11900001@hdr> azad@hdr.UUCP writes:
>For that reason I would like to know if there are any text books available on
>the internal of some common operating systems like VMS,IBM, and Unix.

A number of people here at work have copies of _The Design of the Unix
Operating System_ by Maurice J. Bach, published by Prentice-Hall.  It
presents a fairly good description of the internal workings of System V.
We have found it to be quite useful for introducing experienced programmers
to the guts of our Berkeley-derived kernel.

--
    Gordon Durand	UUCP: cadnetix!gad
    Cadnetix Corp.	      hao!ico!cadnetix!gad