[comp.os.misc] CMS

hkbirke@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Hal Birkeland) (04/14/88)

anyone know anything about the CMS operating system -- you know, the
one whose security is through lack of documentation. (I cannot find
out what versionn/what it's full name is because I don't know the command)

-- hal
hkbirke@media-lab.media.mit.edu

ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP (Glen Overby) (04/14/88)

In article <2295@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> hkbirke@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Hal Birkeland) writes:
>anyone know anything about the CMS operating system -- you know, the
>one whose security is through lack of documentation. (I cannot find
>out what versionn/what it's full name is because I don't know the command)

Ah, yes. Another (former) human sentenced to life on a Blue Box.  I know more
about CMS than I'd like to, but not enough to call myself a "high power" user.
Your description of the CMS security system is all too accurate, which is very
unforunate (especially in a university environment).  Secrecy is NOT Security.

You can find out about what version CMS you've got with:

	q cmslevel
	q cplevel

executed from Native CMS.  Try 'HELP CP QUERY' and 'HELP CMS QUERY' and you
should get some "user friendly!" info on other queries.

There. I've incriminated myself by proving that I know CMS.

"Unknown CP/CMS command is VM's way of saying 'Booga Booga'"
--
Glen Overby
Bitnet:  ncoverby@ndsuvax

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (04/15/88)

Oh come on, there's lots of documentation for CMS.  It takes
up an entire shelf.  Of course, the user interface is a step
behind MS/DOS, but it's better than most IBM OS's.  At least
you can talk to it interactively.  The most interesting feature
of it's security is that everyone runs in a virtual machine
private to themselves.  Most of the virtual disks (called
minidisks) are not shared.  This is either good or bad, depending
on your point of view.

-Ron

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (04/18/88)

In article <Apr.14.20.47.31.1988.23418@topaz.rutgers.edu> ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>Oh come on, there's lots of documentation for CMS.  It takes
>up an entire shelf.......

     The Subject line alone sent shivers up my spine!  God, has it been over
five years since I last had to deal with CMS :-)  Well at least it doesn't
require one to know JCL :-)

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
{gatech,rutgers,attmail}!codas!pdn!reggie	Mail stop LF-207

alanm@dvlmarv.UUCP (Alan Matsuoka) (04/20/88)

In article <2295@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> hkbirke@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Hal Birkeland) writes:

>anyone know anything about the CMS operating system -- you know, the
>one whose security is through lack of documentation. (I cannot find
>out what versionn/what it's full name is because I don't know the command)

A friend of mine  is fond of saying that CMS was CP/M done right.
My own encounters with it made me miss Unix even more.
On the other hand, you could do worse with MVS ( often referred to as
Man Versus System).

Alan Matsuoka, Develcon Electronics, 515 Consumers Road,
Suite 500 Willowdale, ON Canada M2J 4Z2
uucp:   {decvax,ihnp4,utai,uunet}!watmath!dvlmarv!alanm  phone: (416) 495-8666
	{utai,mnetor}!lsuc!dvlmarv!alanm
	sask!zaphod!dvlmarv!alanm

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Computer Center) (04/23/88)

In the interest of inter-system communication here I have been asked
to inquire whether ARC has been moved to CMS. If so we would like
to get an executable for it (We don't have C on our 4381 yet).

Thanks,

Thos Sumner       (thos@cca.ucsf.edu)   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca
(The I.G.)        (...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos)

OS|2 -- an Operating System for puppets.

#include <disclaimer.std>

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (04/25/88)

In article <1240@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu>, root@cca.ucsf.edu (Computer Center) wrote:
>In the interest of inter-system communication here I have been asked
>to inquire whether ARC has been moved to CMS.

Please see the Summary: field in the header.

--
Samuel Lam     {ihnp4!alberta,watmath,uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!ubc-cs!van-bc!skl