[comp.os.misc] Multics Architecture

bitbug@vicom.COM (James Buster) (12/28/88)

Multics sounds like an interesting OS. Can anybody out in netland
recommend some books, manuals, etc. on the architecture/features of Multics?
Any help is appreciated.

[ I have redirected this discussion away from comp.unix.questions,
  since it seems this has little to do with Unix ]

	     James Buster
	Mad Hacker Extraordinaire
    	...!ames!vsi1!bitbug
	   bitbug@vicom.com

freedman@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Daniel Freedman) (12/29/88)

In article <1322@vsi1.COM>, bitbug@vicom.COM (James Buster) writes:
> Multics sounds like an interesting OS. Can anybody out in netland
> recommend some books, manuals, etc. on the architecture/features of Multics?
> Any help is appreciated.

The standard reference work is the book by Elliott Organick, which I think
is called "The Multics Timesharing System" or something similar (my copy is
at home).  Also, Honeywell (I guess its Honeywell-Bull now) puts out
a manual called the Multics Programmers Reference Manual (often called
the MPM Ref Man).

Dan Freedman
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.			      freedman@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	                   ...!alberta!calgary!freedman

steve@simon.UUCP (Steven E. Piette) (12/30/88)

In article <1322@vsi1.COM>, bitbug@vicom.COM (James Buster) writes:
> Multics sounds like an interesting OS. Can anybody out in netland
> recommend some books, manuals, etc. on the architecture/features of Multics?
> Any help is appreciated.

> 	     James Buster
> 	Mad Hacker Extraordinaire
>     	...!ames!vsi1!bitbug
> 	   bitbug@vicom.com

Possably the definative reference is	_The_Multics_System_
					by Elliott I. Organick
					MIT 1972 ISBN 0-262-15012-3

Most modern OS's owe much to MULTICS (any OS worth a damm (:-))

Steven E. Piette                              Applied Computer Technology Inc.
UUCP: {smarthost}!simon!steve                             1750 Riverwood Drive
ARPA: spiette@SUN.COM                                      Algonquin, IL 60102