[comp.os.misc] Don't support System V

woolstar@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (John D Woolverton) (01/27/89)

> Wonderful!  Then maybe the features of 4.4 BSD can be merged into System V
> release 9 sometime in the next century!  :-)

Just when their getting ready to merge Berkeley 4.3 into
System V release 4.3 :-)

>>What *is* sad is how much the third-tier companies are being constrained by
>>what's happening on the first tier. Customers are demanding System V. Not SVID
>>or POSIX or X/OPEN, but System V. If it doesn't look just like a 3B20, it gets
>>shipped back. Innovation in UNIX is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

I was very unhappy with what our 3B20 came with:
   A c compiler that had numerous bugs.  (I was surprised that any of the
      programs/system stuff worked)
   A bourne shell, cat, grep, find, and a few other /etc stuff.

What it didn't come with includes:
   more, less, csh, ksh, telnet, rlogin, ftp, (networking ...),
   tip, emacs, man, uptime, who, finger, date, and all those little
   things that I like to use from day to day.

One of the few blessing it had was that it had the software
for the dmd 5620 on it so that I could actually have windows to
it.  (One of three people on campus who could do this.)

For quite a while, it did get some use by a band of undergrads
hacking empire on it.  It was jokingly refered to cit-empire
instead of cit-3b.  One thing I'll give it though, when we
had to remake all the empire code, boy would it race.

As it is, we still do not have any form of network communications
or hardware for it on our 3b20.

	woolstar@csvax.caltech.edu
	 woolstar@cit-3b.caltech.edu  :-)
--
--------------
 John D Woolverton                      "Yes it's true..."

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (01/29/89)

Anyone ported 4.3bsd to the 3B yet?  The hardware ain't too bad...
--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (02/01/89)

3B20's are not worth the bother.  AT&T isn't supporting UNIX for them.  The
hardware, while suitable for a phone switch, is pretty lousy.  The Ethernet
interface doesn't work at all despite the $$$ I spent on it.  The CE's are
constantly grousing about having to lug these Delco batteries around and
despite that the machine goes wierd everytime the power gets shut off anyway.

The later processors in the 3B line actually claim to be UNIX machines and
fare a little better.

-Ron

martillo@cpoint.UUCP (Joacim Martillo) (02/01/89)

Anybody have any idea how much a 3b20/600 would cost?

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (02/01/89)

# 3B20's are not worth the bother. [...] The later processors in the 3B line
# actually claim to be UNIX machines and fare a little better.

I've got to try to dig up Ed Gould while at Usenix.  Depending on how hard
he thinks it would be, I might be willing to *contribute* some effort toward
a 3Bxx 4.3bsd port, just to see what the market for it would be.  Comparing
the documentation, training, and support you can get from MtXinu to what you
can get from AT&T, it seems like MtXinu ought to own any market they choose
to compete in.  They've certainly stomped all commercial alternatives except
Ultrix in the VAX UNIX market -- I have this wonderful fantasy of someone
selling a supported BSD for the 3B boxes and putting AT&T out of the software
business while somehow making it worthwhile for them to keep shipping iron.

I know it's bizarre and could probably never come to pass for any number of
reasons, but it's a pleasant fantasy.  I once had to _use_ a 3B20: ugh!

Disclaimer: opinions stated are my own, DEC doesn't know I'm posting this.
--

dlm@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Dennis L. Mumaugh) (02/02/89)

In article <Jan.31.16.11.35.1989.385@ron.rutgers.edu>
ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
    3B20's are not worth the bother.  AT&T isn't supporting UNIX
    for them.

Odd, I get paid lots of money to support the software (13 of us
do) and others get paid to support the hardware.  You did buy a
support contract, didn't you?  Our management would be interested
in hearing about cases where your field engineers couldn't fix
the problem.

    The hardware, while suitable for a phone switch, is pretty
    lousy.

Good for what it was designed to do.  It's really fast on I/O.
Kinda slow for cpu bound stuff. 80 users isn't bad.

    The Ethernet interface doesn't work at all despite the $$$ I
    spent on it.

Must be your hardware.  I use TCP/IP all the time.  A 3B20A is
our major netnews and uucp gateway.  We share the news via rlogin
or RFS.

    The CE's are constantly grousing about having to lug these
    Delco batteries around and despite that the machine goes
    wierd everytime the power gets shut off anyway.

Power off?  Ours gets shut off only when Commonwealth Edison has
a thunder storm and drops power totally.

    The later processors in the 3B line actually claim to be UNIX
    machines and fare a little better.

Much, much better.  The 3B2/700 screams but it still isn't quite
as good at I/O especially terminal I/O.  But the cpu is
definitely much faster about 5xVAX or so.

    -Ron

You could go back to good old PDP-11/70's Ron.  The RP06's were
real toasty during the cold winters.

Seriously, you need to talk with the support managers as the 3B20
isn't such a bad box.  Put 16 Meg of memory and System V 3.1 on
it and life is bearable.  Personally, I use it and my own private
3B2/400.

--
=Dennis L. Mumaugh
 Lisle, IL       ...!{att,lll-crg}!cuuxb!dlm  OR cuuxb!dlm@arpa.att.com

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (02/04/89)

Having a 3B20 inside AT&T is a lot different than being stuck with one
in the field.  When I was a consultant, I found that the 3B20 tty driver
wasn't SVID complient due to a hideous bug in the VMIN/VTIME handling
that caused processes to lock up in an unkillable state.  I was working
around this problem on an AT&T machine when they put up the new release
of UNIX.  A year and a half later, on the outside, I was still not able
to get this release.

As for the Ethernet interface.  It refuses to work with anything but
these black brick 3COM transcievers that AT&T provides.   The CE's are
worthless trying to fix this problem.  Even when it is working the
thing frequently goes on to net spewing continuous garbage datagrams.
The telnet/rlogin response is pretty poor in any case compared to what
we get on the 3B2's and 3B15's.  I talked to some AT&T guys from a group
in Princeton, and they admit that their machine is much more advanced
with regard to engineering changes than ours.  Unfortuatenly, even the
$$$ I paid for the hardware upgrade to run TCP hasn't made a big improvement.

My conclusion, AT&T really isn't exerting any effort into making the
3B20 a computing product.  The 3B15's and the workstations have real
support available for them.  The 3B20 seems to be a lost soul.

-Ron