[comp.os.misc] The Unix religion strike again

schow@bnr-public.uucp (Stanley Chow) (02/21/89)

 [In my original posting, I complained about what I view to short comings
  or Unix. A couple of the relevent points are repeated here.   SC]

>  - No concept of full screen graphics. Unix seems to be still firmly
>    tied to the day of 75 baud teletypes. (I know about X-windows
>    and such, in fact I am using it right now). All the commands
>    seem to be designed to minimize typing or half-duplex echo time.
>
>  - I am sitting here typing this note in "vi" - the so called
>    full screen editior of choice (see the man pages). I have used
>    editors a decade ago that were better. (I use Micro-Emacs at home
>    on my Amiga, but even that still reeks of teletype).
>    For text editing, I will take a locally attached IBM 3278-4 anytime
>    (since I can then use XEDIT and REXX).

I got some quite sensible replies that debate the merit of the questions and
also some that just beg to be quoted if only as an example of brillant
deductive reasoning. Perhaps they would open a school of verbal abuse and
take students?

In article <497@cwjcc.CWRU.Edu> edvax@skybridge.UUCP (Ed Reznichenko) writes:

>Are you totally lobotomized? Why do you post this crap?  Xedit makes
>edlin look heavensent. XEDIT? No concept of scrolling. To do simple
>things you have to go to the margin and type tons of stupid commands.
>What OS do you like? DOS/VSE? VM/CMS? IBM writing an OS that's useable
>for anything but controlling my bank account, surely you jest? I don't
>want to see that ugly thing again in my life or I will seriously start
>considering murder. What? you don't like grep? Do regexp like ^[A-Z0-9]\/
>scare you? If so why don't you tune in to another channel and program
>in VS COBOL or whatever that crap is called these days. Can you even
>imagine INTERACTIVE operating systems? Do you miss batch cards?
>
>Thank you for starting a religious war.

Thank you for providing an example of a religious fanatic.

In article <2059@cpoint.UUCP> martillo@cpoint.UUCP (Joacim Martillo)
expounds on this further:

Personally, I could vomit when I see someone arguing that Unix sucks
>because he or she does not like the command interpreter which in a
>correctly designed operating system is not part of the operating system
>and should be easily replaceable.  Now, I see people totally devoid of
>any understanding of OS theory arguing Unix is bad because Unix does not
>know anything about screen graphics !!!???!!! Give me one good reason
>why an operating system should know anything about screen graphics!
>Clearly a lot of people known nothing about how to partition problems.

Perhaps when you can actually conduct a converstion, we can talk
about the philosophy, theory and practice of operating systems and
problem partitioning.

Stanley Chow    ..!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!schow%bnr-public
		(613) 763-2831

Disclaimer: Since I haven't actually said anything in this article,
	    I doubt anyone can ascribe the opinions herein to anyone
	    (myself or otherwise).

mart@euteal.UUCP (Mart van Stiphout) (02/24/89)

> In article <497@cwjcc.CWRU.Edu> edvax@skybridge.UUCP (Ed Reznichenko) writes:
> >
> >Are you totally lobotomized? Why do you post this crap?  Xedit makes
> >edlin look heavensent. XEDIT? No concept of scrolling. To do simple
> >things you have to go to the margin and type tons of stupid commands.
> >
> >Thank you for starting a religious war.
>

> Thank you for providing an example of a religious fanatic.

> Stanley Chow    ..!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!schow%bnr-public
> 		(613) 763-2831

  I guess all the authors quoted are right.
  The most elaborate editor I have ever seen is emacs and it is
  terminal oriented also. Xedit is a mess. Never use it for editing.
  If you can find any other use for that program, be happy.

                                               =                           =
                                                =                         =
                                                 =                       =
===================================================  Mart van Stiphout  ======