[comp.os.misc] PRIMOS: a question really

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (04/16/89)

Er? what's a major operating system?
What constitutes a major operating system? Shear numbers? MS/DOS hands down
right?
Significant features? user interfaces: (large numbers: MacOS?)
					(small numbers: Pilot/Cedar, most
					probably haven't heard or seen?)
			communcations: Unix(tm): pipes and TCP?
			security: Multics? CTSS?  or ITS? ;)
Economic significance? MVS/VS2, EXEC*1100? Pay checks and tax refunds? 8)
Seeming Obscurity?			PickOS? ;)
Just curious.

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "Mailers?! HA!", "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  				Live free or die.

violence@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Violence) (04/17/89)

In article <3217@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>Er? what's a major operating system?
>What constitutes a major operating system? Shear numbers? MS/DOS hands down
>right?

By 'major operating system' I was intending commonly used (mainstream)
mainframe operating systems, not PC operating systems.

>                        security: Multics? CTSS?  or ITS? ;)

It's good that you didn't place UNIX in the 'security' bracket, as it sure
doesn't fit there.  UNIX, although a nice programming environment, is a bunch
of security loopholes masquerading around as an operating system. :-)

Violence
VOID