Newsgroups: comp.os.misc
From: douglis@kvetching.Berkeley.EDU (Fred Douglis)
Subject: Re: Process migration on UNIX, anyone??

In article <12402@s.ms.uky.edu>, pkantak@ms (Prashant Kantak) writes:
>	I am trying to implement process migration on the UNIX operating system
>across homogenous (Suns or VAXENS) networked systems.
>	Could anyone please recommend some good references for the same.

(I'll send a copy to the author by e-mail but figured this might
interest others as well.)

There was an issue of the IEEE Technical Committee on Operating
Systems Newsletter (Winter 1989) with a bunch of articles on process
migration.  This included a system for performing a variant of
migration on Unix using checkpoint and restart, like "unexec" for
emacs, TeX, and others.

I think it would be very difficult to implement vanilla migration on
Unix because of things like IP/TCP, shared file descriptors, and so
on.  If the process's file state must be preserved across migration,
you'd have a lot of issues to deal with.  If you have a system like
LOCUS, with support for file sharing built in, then migration is more
feasible.

Fred