[comp.os.misc] Mach sources outside the U.S.?

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (08/29/89)

Until now, I've always believed that Mach sources are NOT available outside
the U.S. and will never be. However, I just got to hear that there are some
sites outside the U.S. that HAVE received the source code for Mach. Is this
true? Does it reflect a change in policy on DARPA's side or am I just mislead?

	Robert

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB

boykin@calliope.Encore.COM (Joseph Boykin) (08/29/89)

In article <786@maxim.erbe.se> rclaeson@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
>Until now, I've always believed that Mach sources are NOT available outside
>the U.S. and will never be. However, I just got to hear that there are some
>sites outside the U.S. that HAVE received the source code for Mach. Is this
>true? Does it reflect a change in policy on DARPA's side or am I just mislead?

DARPA was in for one of their semi-regular visits about a month or so
ago.  I was giving a presentation somewhere else so I didn't attend, but
I was told that DARPA still does not wish to export the source.  On the
other hand I also have heard that there are a few non-US sites with source.
I have no idea whether this is true or not, but DARPA has made it very
clear to us that we cannot ship our sources outside of the U.S.

The only explanation for this confusion that I've heard is that one of
the non-US sites stated that they were able to obtain an export license
for the source.  These come from the Dept. of Commerce.  However,
just becuase they have have an export license doesn't necessarily mean
that DARPA will OK the shipment.

In other words: who knows?!?

----

Joe Boykin