[comp.os.misc] TSO and CMS

ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Richard Ferris) (10/05/89)

I appreciate all the responses I got regarding my
confusion about TSO, CMS, VM, and MVS and how
they work.  The bottom line can be summarized in this
useful chart:

(Thanks to J.D.McCown)

Tools:   Xedit/rexx/ISPF    TSO/SPF        TSO/SPF
OS:      CMS+CP(VM)         MVS            MVS
Machine: VM(Virtual)        VM(Virtual)    Real(hardware)

Basically TSO and CMS run on top of other systems.  TSO runs
on top of MVS while CMS runs on top of VM.  Since MVS can
run on top of VM, it is possible to run TSO on top of MVS on top
of VM (middle column).  This is all quite simplified but it
conveys the basic idea.

There seem to be a bunch of different versions of MVS and VM.
I am still a bit confused:  How did all these different versions
evolve?  Are they basically expanded versions of the older
systems (like DOS => OS/2) or are they designed to work on
different hardware?  Also, where can I find a simple reference
that explains the history of these different systems?  I find
the abbreviations quite confusing and difficult to piece together.

Thanks again for all the help.

RF

Richard T. Ferris
ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
University of Pennsylvania

shore@mtxinu.COM (Melinda Shore) (10/05/89)

[]
I highly recommend "Invitation to MVS" by Katzan and Tharayil.  While it's
rather out of date (no discussion of MVS/XA, etc.) it provides a pretty
good history of the system and an excellent overview of its internal
structure.
--
Melinda Shore                                     shore@mtxinu.com
Mt Xinu                                  ..!uunet!mtxinu.com!shore

ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) (10/07/89)

In article <15122@netnews.upenn.edu>, ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Richard  Ferris) writes:
> There seem to be a bunch of different versions of MVS and VM.
> I am still a bit confused:  How did all these different versions
> evolve? ...
Basicly what happens is that IBM comes out with some new hardware
feature and then release a new variant of the OS to support it. Almost
inevitably, the new version costs more than the previous one did, so
those with hardware that doesn't need the new support don't need or want
to spend the money to upgrade. In many case, (E.G. MVS/370 => MVS/XA),
you CAN'T go to the new OS without the new hardware.
>             ... I find
> the abbreviations quite confusing and difficult to piece together.

Don't feel bad... I've been working with this stuff for 17 years and I
STILL get confused by it all!! :-)

   Scott Denham
    Western Atlas International
     Houston, TX