[comp.os.misc] VME Operating System

baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) (11/18/89)

We are looking into an operating system which can run in a
VME/Motorola/Multi-Processor environment. So far we have identified
PDOS, PSOS, OS-9 and VRTX.
If you know of any other alternatives, or have experience with or
knowledge of any of the above, could you please email me?

 Ron Baalke                       |    baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov
 Jet Propulsion Lab  M/S 301-355  |    baalke@jems.jpl.nasa.gov
 4800 Oak Grove Dr.               |
 Pasadena, CA 91109               |

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (11/18/89)

In article <2204@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) writes:
>We are looking into an operating system which can run in a
>VME/Motorola/Multi-Processor environment.
You might look at Amoeba, a distributed system that also can run on a
VME multiprocessor, although it was really designed for disjoint memory
machines.  There was a paper a year ago in the Oct 1988 issue of ACM Operating
Systems Review, as well as papers in each of the last 4 IEEE Distributed
Computing Systems Conferences.  I can also send a recent Amoeba paper
with lots of references to anyone who sends me email requesting it.

Amoeba is now being supported by the Open Software Foundation as a
possible candidate for OSF/2 or OSF/3.

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)