[comp.os.misc] Doesn't anyone use MVS?

blabes@mead.UUCP (Doug Bloebaum) (12/16/89)

I've been reading through various newsgroups and have yet to see any
mention of IBM mainframes, MVS, JCL, ISPF, SDSF, PL/I, VSAM, and other
horrible things with all capital letters.  Is there no valuable
discussion of these topics to be found, or am I looking in the wrong
places?

Doug Bloebaum       |                             |           (513) 865-7173
Mead Data Central   |    "At this point...        |          PROS Conversion
P.O. Box 933        |       we don't know."       | mead!blabes@uccba.uc.edu
Dayton, Ohio  45401 |                             |    ...!uccba!mead!blabes

staylor@pmdvax.UUCP (Scott Taylor) (12/17/89)

in article <562@mead.UUCP>, blabes@mead.UUCP (Doug Bloebaum) says:

> I've been reading through various newsgroups and have yet to see any
> mention of IBM mainframes, MVS, JCL, ISPF, SDSF, PL/I, VSAM, and other
> horrible things with all capital letters.  Is there no valuable
> discussion of these topics to be found, or am I looking in the wrong
> places?

Oh, yes.  Some old habits never die.  All the above + OS/VS2 CMS TSO
and even COBOL (Hey, they overpay me).  Remember, however, IBM is new
and still very different to the unix-oriented USENET world.

You're not necessarily looking in the wrong places, just not many
discussions to be found.  Good luck...
--
Scott G. Taylor                                    Pmd Resources  (818) 991-0068
{wlbr,mahendo}!snidely!staylor                     31230 Cedar Valley Dr.

schow@bcarh185.bnr.ca (Stanley T.H. Chow) (12/17/89)

In article <562@mead.UUCP> blabes@mead.UUCP (Doug Bloebaum) writes:
>I've been reading through various newsgroups and have yet to see any
>mention of IBM mainframes, MVS, JCL, ISPF, SDSF, PL/I, VSAM, and other
>horrible things with all capital letters.  Is there no valuable
>discussion of these topics to be found, or am I looking in the wrong
>places?

Oh yes, you are definitly looking in the wrong network.

Usenet was invented to communicate Unix development news and still
consist mostly of Unix hackers on Unix boxes. If anything about MVS,
etc. is mentioned, it will be as object of scorn.

Try some of the mailing lists or Bitnet. (I don't actually follow any
of them, so I don't know).

Stanley Chow        BitNet:  schow@BNR.CA
BNR		    UUCP:    ..!psuvax1!BNR.CA.bitnet!schow
(613) 763-2831		     ..!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-rsc!schow%bcarh185
Me? Represent other people? Don't make them laugh so hard.

rfm@urth (Richard McAllister) (12/19/89)

SHARE runs a computer conference called VM-SHARE which talks about many
IBM topics;  I think there may be the equivalent MVS-SHARE by now.
Check that out. If your installation is too cheap to spend a couple
thousand bucks for a SHARE membership, they shouldn't be wasting
money on IBM hardware...

Rich McAllister (ex-IBMer) rfm@sun.com