[comp.os.misc] Need info on compupro

person@plains.UUCP (Brett G. Person) (02/09/90)

I need a history lesson on Compupro computers.  What architecture did they
have, what os did they run, etc. Are they still being manufactured?

Thanks
--
Brett G. Person
North Dakota State University

rec@dg.dg.com (Robert Cousins) (02/12/90)

In article <3367@plains.UUCP> person@plains.UUCP (Brett G. Person) writes:
>I need a history lesson on Compupro computers.  What architecture did they
>have, what os did they run, etc. Are they still being manufactured?
>Thanks
>Brett G. Person
>North Dakota State University
>uunet!ndsuvax!person | person@ndsuvax.bitnet | person@plains.nodak.edu

Compupro was originally Godbout computers, founded by Bill Godbout. Known
for extremely early entry into the computer hobbiest arena with an IMP-16
based board.  Later, Compupro helped to get the IEEE 696 standard through
(S-100 to dinasaurs like me). Compupro was one of the first companies
in that area of the market to have non-Z80 machines.  They had a dual
processors 8085/8088 machine which Jerry Pornelle of BYTE raved about
for several years. They also produced an NSC32016 board amongst several
others.
As the CP/M world dried up, they moved into the multiuser world producing
multi-cpu versions of the their machines centered around the 286.
I lost track of them several years ago.
For a while, they were the hotest S100 manufacturer I knew of (IMHO).
They were the first I can remember to introduce a 6 Mhz Z80,
extended addressing, channels, numeric coprocessors and a number of
things taken for granted today and then in the mini/mainframe world.
Bill Godbout ruffled more than a few feathers by his insistance that
DRAM was not as good as SRAM.  For years, his machines came with BOARDs
and BOARDs of SRAM.

Robert Cousins
Dept. Mgr, Workstation Dev't.

Speaking for myself alone.
Talking about my days as a consultant many moons ago.

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (02/14/90)

In article <269@dg.dg.com> rec@dg.dg.com (Robert Cousins) writes:
   ...Later, Compupro helped to get the IEEE 696 standard through
   (S-100 to dinasaurs like me)...

S-100 - that's the new name for the Altair Bus, right?  :-)

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (02/21/90)

In article <3367@plains.UUCP>, person@plains.UUCP (Brett G. Person) writes:

> I need a history lesson on Compupro computers.  What architecture did they
> have, what os did they run, etc. Are they still being manufactured?

 You could try

     Compupro
     3506 Breakwater Ct.
     Hayward CA
     (415) 786-0909

according to the February 1989-90 Pacific Bell directory.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>