[comp.os.misc] MSDOS tools

peralta@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Rick Peralta) (02/27/90)

Hi,

I'm MS-DOS impaired and seem to want tools for one of these thingy's.
Specifically, I'd like some simple things like ls, du, df, mv, etc.
Before hacking up a storm (is there even a C compiler?) it makes
sense to see if there is anything out there.

 - Rick "If you must flame, please keep it private..."

P.S. If this is an inappropriate place to post this, please provide a redirect.

peralta@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Rick Peralta) (03/02/90)

In article peralta@multimax.encore.com (Rick Peralta) writes:
>I'm MS-DOS impaired and seem to want tools for one of these thingy's.

It seems that there are lots of things that fit the bill.
Since the question went out here, I'll followup here...

Enclosed is a very abreviated summary of responses:

Again, many thanks...

 - Rick (Ask a simple question and get a full mail box... ;^)

From mks!andy@watmath.waterloo.edu Tue Feb 27 11:37:00 1990

MKS sells a set UNIX commands for DOS called the MKS Toolkit.  It includes
the Korn Shell, vi, ls, lc, du, df, mv, cp, ed, grep, awk, etc....
There are about 150 commands in total.  We even have other products
such as make, rcs, lex, yacc, troff...

If you would like some more information, please send mail to inquiry@mks.com
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy

From soulard@corto.inria.fr Tue Feb 27 11:29:35 1990

All this stuff is available on Simtel20, via anonymous FTP (26.2.0.74).

		Herve.

From mac@uvacs.cs.virginia.edu Tue Feb 27 14:44:09 1990

it's the other way around.  msdos is tool-immpaired.  there are plenty of
nifty software packages, but  they aren't designed  as  tools.   msdos doesn't
give you any way of combining  software.

> Specifically, I'd like some simple things like ls, du, df, mv, etc.

check out MKS (mortice kern systemms)  ads in the back of any  trashy magazine.
really  nice  implementations  of stuff, including the  Korn shell.  eats  up  cpu.

> Before hacking up a storm (is there even a C compiler?) it makes
> sense to see if there is anything out there.

lots  of  c compilers, some  quite good.  i  use  turbo 2.0.

unlike un**x, everything here costs money, so nothing can assume anything
else. compilers don't usually generate assembly, since you probably don''t
own one. on the other hand, since you are paying real money, you sometimes
get real prooducts.

From woodgate@pyra.co.uk Tue Feb 27 15:57:06 1990

In article <11244@encore.Encore.COM> you write:
>I'm MS-DOS impaired and seem to want tools for one of these thingy's.
>Specifically, I'd like some simple things like ls, du, df, mv, etc.
>Before hacking up a storm (is there even a C compiler?)

If you don't want to spend any money, most shareware libraries contain
some form of Unix style utilities. If you are prepared to spend some
money, then I would recommend the MKS toolskit.

There are many different C compilers, again how much to you want to
spend?

From dritchey@cbnewsc.att.com Tue Feb 27 16:34:25 1990

best source of these tools (but not in source form) is the package
marketed as the "MKS toolkit" by Mortice Kern Systems. Available in
most mail order software adverizements, but I have yet to see them in
any software shop.

From XN.LL.MIT.EDU!ames!beaver.cs.washington.edu!microsoft!fluke!wright@bu.edu Tue Feb 27 18:58:49 1990

Try the MKS Toolkit from Mortice Kern Systems, Inc.  For less than $200 you
can get all the Unix tools (from the real Unix sources) plus the Korn shell.

	Mortice Kern Systems, Inc.
	35 King Street North
	Waterloo, Ontario  N2J 2W9
	Canada

	(519) 884-2251 or ...!uunet!watmath!mks!toolkit

We use their stuff on PCs, and it almost makes them useful.  You can buy this
package from MKS or from PC software distributors.  There's a version for
OS/2 as well.

--
David Wright
domain:	wright@fluke.COM	({sun,microsoft,uw-beaver}!fluke!wright)

From calvin.wa.com!richard@bu.edu Tue Feb 27 19:30:46 1990
Not an inappropriate place exactly, but if you know enough to post here, you
probably find comp.sys.ibm.pc, comp.binaries.ibm.pc, comp.sys.ibm.pc.programmer
and alt.msdos.programmer - where you will find voluminous discussions relating
to tools. Essentially all unix tools except thoses meaningless on a single
tasking machine, have been ported to msdos, and are free for the asking if
you have ftp and some patience.  If you have $$ but little patience, go out
and buy MKS toolkit - for $200 you get a Korn shell plus about 100 utilities.
In between these two extremes are several shareware packages for ~ $20 which
are a good place to start.  The only thing you will not find for free is a
C compiler which works.  The most popular is probably Borland TurboC - full
ansi and great value at about $120.

From tss%beta@LANL.GOV Wed Feb 28 00:31:50 1990
There are many of us out here that are MSDOS impaired and several
packages to help us. None are perfectly satisfactory though. The
one I've tried is the MKS Toolkit (see a BYTE magazine for some
info, in continental USA they have toll free number 1-800-265-2797).
They have selectable level of functionality from simply providing
many UNIX functions (vi, diff, grep, etc) for DOS to a complete
Korn shell (minus job control, of course). Its nice, but if you go
with the Korn shell level you are likely to have problems with
TSR programs. You can almost forget you are on a DOS machine, you
can even arrange to use / instead of \ .

As to C compilers of course DOS has any UNIX system beat hands down
with Microsoft's QuickC (or Borland's TurboC). At a street price of
$65, QuickC has amazing features, editor, make, debugger all in a
windowed interface.

From prc@erbe.se Wed Feb 28 03:38:38 1990
There was a package called "Picnix" posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc some
(long) time ago. I have it here and it contains what you're asking for.
There are also commercial products that contains almost everything you'll
want, including a Bourne (or is it Korn?) shell.

And yes, there are C compilers. I'm personally using an old Microsoft C
Compiler, version 4.0. If I'd buy one today, I'd go for Zortech C++ (includes
an ANSI C compiler) or Turbo C.

From card@chronos.ibp.fr Wed Feb 28 04:33:38 1990
	You can find some Unix Like commands for MS/DOS via anonymous
ftp on vega.hut.fi (130.233.200.42).

	The files reside on directory /pub/pc/unixlike.

From tarpit!bilver!james@ge-dab.ge.com Wed Feb 28 14:36:48 1990
For Unix like tools try MKS toolkit.  It has the above plus vi.  Yes there is
a C compiler for it, several as a matter of fact.  Lots of people seem to be
using Turbo C, others use Microsoft.

From ficc!harter@uunet.UU.NET Thu Mar  1 00:17:55 1990
In some of the PC magazines there are adds for UNIX like shells for DOS.
As for C compilers there are many. If you want an inexpensive one that is
pretty good try trubo c from borland. Microsift makes a c compiler as do many
other vendors. Look in any pc magazine and you will see ads.

Of course you can always use the dos commands.
          ls - dir
          du, df - chkdsk
          mv copy

From sccowan@watmsg.waterloo.edu Thu Mar  1 14:50:41 1990
You could try the MKS Tool Kit.  It includes most of the standard UNIX
tools; ls, cp, du df, mv, etc. plust a lot of the bigger ones like vi,
lex, yacc, etc., and they have optional packages that include the likes
of troff.

Physical address:
	35 King Street North
	Waterloo, Ontario
	N2J 2W9   Canada
	519-884-2251
electronic:
	postmaster@mks.com

For C compilers, try Microsoft or Borland.