[comp.os.misc] QNX transparency

utility@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Ronald BODKIN) (03/27/90)

In article <240@puma.ge.com> jnixon@andrew.ATL.GE.COM (John F Nixon) writes:
>I think you are missing the point.  Although the original statement doesn't
>make it clear, the tone of Tanenbaum's article is that you simply don't
>see "machines", either remote or local, or have "defaults" to a particular
>machine with Amoeba.
	Fair enough, Amoeba is more distributed in that way.  As the
discussion with sprite & etc. suggest, its not clear that it IS best to
have such.  It would be feasible to alter the shell and applications to
be more parallel oriented and to start tasks across the net invisibly --
QNX has the groundwork and the most important part, effective and rapid
communication on the network, is there.  As for fully automatic task
allocation, that would require a bit more work to the OS, true enough.
		Ron