[comp.os.misc] OS/2, PC's, etc...

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (04/11/90)

This doesn't really belong here.  Followup's to comp.os.misc.
Also note that '>> ' (note space) is also wallwey, not Tim.

In article <19338@boulder.Colorado.EDU> wallwey@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) writes:
>In article <22946@watdragon.waterloo.edu> tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) writes:
>>Well, one data point; I use a vanilla 8 Mb 25Mhz 386 clone running 386/ix and
>
>Note you have 8MB and the person I know has only 4MB.  This may, and
>probably is, the main difference between the system performances. (That is
>why I included his memory size in the original article!)

Yes.  However, the main reason for X being so slow with 4 Mb is because of
limited memory storage, and multiple copies of the same stuff.  Shared
libraries should help immensely, despite the inheirent disadvantage,
speed-wise, that SysV's shared library mechanism poses.

>> OS/2's Presentation Manager is much faster!...
>> you can run OS/2 (witch I think is better than UNIX for the average user ...
>> With OS/2, the environment power for programs parallels that of UNIX,
>> with design tools for C that make their UNIX equivalents of Vi, CC, LINT and
>> DBX, look like they are from the dark ages!...

That's really funny.  (Note my company, first of all.)  I'm going to make
some points below, but wanted to point out that statement first.

>>development environments, these remarks reveal only ignorance.
>
>Have you seen Microsoft C 5.1 or the Newer version 6.0 or even the new
>32-bit version later this year-They where "ANSI-C" compatible even before
>the ANSI group completely announced their final version!

Uhm, uSoft C 5.1 or 6.0 is *not* ANSI compliant, although some of us are
working extremely hard to make it as much so as possible.  In either 5.1 or
6.0, under DOS, try something like:

	extern int sprintf (const char *, const char *fmt, ...);

Legal ANSI-C, yet uSoft C gets a syntax error.  *Anyway*, that's not the
point, but you really should have your facts straight.

>I have
>experience with Microsoft C 5.1 and the error messages that I get from
>it are much better (my opinion) and informative than lints.

So this makes OS/2 better than Unix?  Despite the fact that SCO UNIX (tm,
tm) uses uSoft C (5.1++, in 3.2)?  Despite the fact that the filesystem is
faster under Unix than DOS (or OS/2)?

>As for editors, well this is a moot point.  You can have
>just about any type of editor you want under OS/2! ---PM based, interactive
>with the compiler, vi, emacs, any of a dozen programmer editors, a
>couple of religious(hope I don't offend) program editors like Brief and
>M, with many of the above taking advangtage of the mouse and the enhanced
>keyboards on the PC.

I'll believe emacs (*true* emacs:  lisp interpreter and everything) when I
see it.  Under OS/2, you are *still* limited to 64k segments.
Brief (or a clone, actually) is available under *nix.  vi originated under
*nix.  (Note, btw, that emacs and vi can both use the mouse, to some
advantage, under sco *nix; I'm sure other people can do something up on
other unices just as well.)  Emacs Compilation-mode works very well, as far
as I'm concerned, although I will admit that QuickC is faster than most C
compilers I've seen on *86-base *nix (however, /bin/cc on an Amdahl is
faster, by at least one order of magnitude, than even QuickC, and can handle
large programs).

So, tell me:  how do you call up your home machine from work to check your
mail?  When your housemate is busy running Lotus under DOS, how do you play
with your wonder Logitech debugger?  What?!  You mean you *can't*?!  What an
inferior OS...

--
-----------------+
Sean Eric Fagan  | "It's a pity the universe doesn't use [a] segmented

880506s@aucs.uucp (James R. Skinner) (04/13/90)

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:

> Under OS/2, you are *still* limited to 64k segments.

	Sorry to burst your bubble, but OS/2 2.0 is *NOT* limited to
64k segments.  True OS/2 1.x was segment oriented but that is the past.
The future 32bit OS is here with virtual 8806, 16bit API, and 32bit API
multitasking.  You MUST have at least a 368 to run it though so if your
using OS/2 on a 286 you will still be limited to 64k segments.  OS/2 is
the future for usrer oriented systems but unix will probably remain as
the programmers operating system.  We'll See...

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~James R. Skinner                                           VOICE: (902)-542-3378                                                           FAX  : (902)-678-6990BITNET  : 880506S@Acadia                                   MAIL : COMP 451 RR#2 INTERNET: 880506S@AcadiaU.CA                                      Wolfville, NS
UUCP    : {uunet|watmath|utia}!cs.dal.ca!acus!880506S             B0P 1X0       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

golding@saturn.ucsc.edu (Richard A. Golding) (04/14/90)

In article <5613@scolex.sco.COM> seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:

>In article <19338@boulder.Colorado.EDU> wallwey@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) writes:
>>In article <22946@watdragon.waterloo.edu> tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) writes:
>....  the main reason for X being so slow with 4 Mb is because of
>limited memory storage, and multiple copies of the same stuff.  Shared
>libraries should help immensely, despite the inheirent disadvantage,
>speed-wise, that SysV's shared library mechanism poses.
>
>>> OS/2's Presentation Manager is much faster!...
>>> you can run OS/2 (witch I think is better than UNIX for the average user ...
>>> With OS/2, the environment power for programs parallels that of UNIX,
>>> with design tools for C that make their UNIX equivalents of Vi, CC, LINT and
>>> DBX, look like they are from the dark ages!...

After having worked on both the internals of PM and OS/2, and X11 and
some Unices, I find it really curious that people have the impression of
speed from OS/2.  In most cases, *when you use comparable hardware,
applications, and operating system versions*, Unix and X are at least as
fast as PM/OS/2 (and usually faster).

One of the faults with the PM vs. X comparison is that most people are
comparing the generic MIT sample server with the much-hacked (and fairly
non-portable) Microsoft PM.  When you compare an X server which makes use
of the facilities available under, say, SCO Unix (e.g. shared memory, shared
libraries, and so on) I've found that speed is often better under X.

It's worth noting that X has significantly less overhead for a great many
operations; for example, one need not pay the penalty for potentially
retained graphics segments as one must in PM.

>>As for editors, well this is a moot point.  You can have
>>just about any type of editor you want under OS/2! ...
>
>I'll believe emacs (*true* emacs:  lisp interpreter and everything) when I
>see it.  Under OS/2, you are *still* limited to 64k segments.
>So, tell me:  how do you call up your home machine from work to check your
>mail?  When your housemate is busy running Lotus under DOS, how do you play
>with your wonder Logitech debugger?  What?!  You mean you *can't*?!  What an
>inferior OS...

The fact of the matter is that in the end OS/2 is a single-user, single-machine
operating system.  There are no real plans afoot at Microsoft to make it
otherwise (the claims of the Objects group notwithstanding.)  Unix was, from
the start, designed to be a multiuser operating system, and it has been
evolved into systems which are more-or-less distributed.

Unix has become a "portable" system; if one follows a guide like XPG2
then there's reasonable assurance that a program will work on a wide
variety of machines.  On the other hand,  OS/2 was designed specifically
around the 80286 memory model (and though OS/2 2.0 will allow for
linear address models it still carries around the baggage to handle
286-style applications).  *Any* application written for OS/2 is therefore
unportable, unless it uses, say, a Posix-compatible library, and then
we've essentially guested Unix under OS/2, so what's the point of having
OS/2?

Another point that isn't often addressed in the OS/2-vs.-Unix debate
is system correctness.  Ever seen the bug lists for OS/2?  Or the QA
setup?  As much as I rag on SCO all the time I'll take the SCO QA
department over the mess at Microsoft.

Lastly:  OS/2 is a proprietary system.  This has lead to some really odd
ideosyncrasies in its design (e.g. the event distribution model in PM.)
Unix has been reviewed and rewritten and complained about by a lot of
people over a number of years, and its design is not so much dependent on
the design whims of one or a few people.

Here's a challenge for an OS/2 system:  build an MIS system with
a farm of highly-reliable disks, a pool of processors available for
compute- and disk-intensive batch jobs (e.g. end-of-month processing),
a set of shared printers with print job routing, and a number of
workstations which can access the database on the disk farm.
Provide a security system so that access to sensitive data is
controlled.  For some data, the data must be reasonably secure even
during transmission over the network.  (This is a thumbnail sketch
of a common, *very* simple corporate or local government DP system.)

The support for a great many of the tasks involved with building such
a system are already provided with a Unix system.  You have to do almost
all of it yourself under OS/2.  Of course you *can* build such a system,
but it'll take a lot longer and be an order of magnitude harder to
maintain.

-richard

p.s.  Hi Sean!

General notes:  yes, I used to work for Microsoft.  No, I don't like OS/2.
As far as my real position on Unix goes I think it's getting creaky with
age but I can't think of a better system for immediate commercial use.
And yes, I do work on Unix (SunOS, SCO, BSD) now, mostly for X11 work.
--
Richard A. Golding, Crucible (work) and UC Santa Cruz CIS Board (grad student)

feustel@well.sf.ca.us (David Alan Feustel) (04/15/90)

OS/2 is a single user machine; that's why I use it. I WOULD use unix
if I needed a multiuser machine, but I don't. At home nobody else
uses my machine. Besides, I have almost all of the unix utilities
running on both 16 and 32 bit versions of OS/2.
--
Phone:	 (home) 219-482-9631
E-mail:	feustel@well.sf.ca.us	{ucbvax,apple,hplabs,pacbell}!well!feustel