[comp.os.misc] Speed costs

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (06/07/90)

In article <136625@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> lm@sun.UUCP (Larry McVoy) writes:
>Just as a sanity check, compare to the first version of the Mac.  That had
>the OS (what there was of it - basically a file system) and the window
>system in a 128K ROM.  Your average X server is about a meg or more.  On the
>*same* architecture.

Apples (pardon the pun 8-)) to oranges.

Or, more correctly, peas to 200 lb. pumpkins, I guess.

The Mac graphical interface (the stuff in ROM, basicly) doesn't have to
worry about TCP/IP communication, doesn't have a split client / server
model, etc.  It is a single-user system, for running a single application at
a time, much like MS-DOS.

X, on the other hand, is this *huge* monolithic *thing* which falls down on
top of an existing OS, one which was not prepared, really, to deal with
something of this order.  It has everything but the kitchen sink (you get
that with GNU EMACS 8-)).

So it's an unfair comparison.

--
Sean Eric Fagan  | "It's a pity the universe doesn't use [a] segmented