[comp.os.misc] Mac/Amiga Jihad

dankg@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) (06/11/90)

In article <1990Jun9.021855.8767@wolves.uucp> ggw@wolves.UUCP (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:

>In article <6567@scolex.sco.COM> seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:
>	Unfortunately for the Amiga zelots, the maker doesn't have the
>wherewithal to turn it into a major player and all the good software is
>user contributed stuff.  And the hardware support is also mostly third
>party.
>	As for the Amiga GUI.  Its a pretty poor GUI at best (unless
>they have improved the default resolution of the monitor).

	Also note that Amiga's underestimated because of its still toy-like
look and feel:  It's keyboard is horrible and even on Amiga 3k, it has
no defact-industorial standard SIMM socket.  Its motherboard uses considerably
more chips and less ASICs than Mac II series, not to mention the lack of
expansion slot like Nu-Bus (it has one huge slot and that's all).

>	Unfortunately for the Mac enthusiasts, Apple is loseing its
>focus and costs way too much (unless you get it via a discount program).
>And without A/UX it doesn't really multitask worth a darn.

	I agree Mac is far overpriced.  But its academic discount was not
so bad.  And even with *PSUDO* Multifinder, it is quite worth a darn for me.
And in some respects, it's better because it's event-driven--So is X but
it's horribly slow and mediocre.  I don't think UNIX implementation of
multitasking is a goal--it is still not event-driven and users have little
control of tasks (I don't call nice process control).

>	Hmmmmmm.  Sure seems pretty evenly matched.  You pay your money
>and take your chances.

	We pay for confort.  Too much freedom is pain sometimes and obviously
too many interface is pain.  While I love Mac so far, I wouldn't hasitate
to switch to something else if it beats Mac.  Only Next comes close but it's
too expensive for me.  Didn't anyone learn from Mac? (Windows and Presentation
Manager are pieces of shit:  And Apple's lawsuit is even worse piece of shit
because it suggests Apple is not confident on its GUI superiority).  Why do
they stick to mimic Mac?  Can't they think of BETTER interface?
	If IBM really wanted to beat Mac, it should've done away with crappy
Intel chip for 1st place:  80x86 and GUI never match:  Even 25Mhz 386 boxes
are only half has fast as 16Mhz IIcx.

____  __  __    + Dan The "Mac Bigot" Man
____| ______ 	+ Voice:	+1 415-549-6111
|     |__|__|	+ USnail:	1730 Laloma Berkeley, CA 94709 U.S.A
    |____|____	+ "What's the biggest U.S. export to Japan?"
  \_|    |      + "Bullshit.  It makes the best fertilizer for their rice"