[comp.os.misc] Coherent, anybody?

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (Scott Rose) (06/07/90)

Anybody out there interested in a Coherent mailing list?  I'm having a few
problems with things like the installable device drivers that might profit
from some discussion.  I'm assuming that technical support at Mark Williams
will be kind of iffy, particularly at first.  Such a list might also be a
handy clearinghouse mechanism for ported software; I'm having a stab at
"less" and RCS myself at the moment.  Interested parties send me return mail
while I scramble around looking for a suitable place to set up an alias, if
the interest level should warrant.  Should somebody be in a position to offer
to administer the thing, all the better...

	-Scott Rose
	rose@cs.wisc.edu
--
	Scott Rose
	rose@cs.wisc.edu

cattanac@clitus.cs.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) (06/08/90)

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (Scott Rose) writes:

>problems with things like the installable device drivers that might profit
>from some discussion.  I'm assuming that technical support at Mark Williams
>will be kind of iffy, particularly at first.  Such a list might also be a
>handy clearinghouse mechanism for ported software; I'm having a stab at
>"less" and RCS myself at the moment.  Interested parties send me return mail
>while I scramble around looking for a suitable place to set up an alias, if
>the interest level should warrant.  Should somebody be in a position to offer
>to administer the thing, all the better...

What I wanna know is will it work on a 386SX?

--
  -catt (cattanac@cs.uiuc.edu)

heiser@world.std.com (Bill Heiser) (06/09/90)

In article <1990Jun7.182739.26754@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu> cattanac@clitus.cs.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) writes:
>What I wanna know is will it work on a 386SX?

Yup, but it doesnt' take advantage of any of the 386 stuff ...

--
 Bill Heiser | heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com
_____________| heiser@world.std.com

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (06/09/90)

cattanac@clitus.cs.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) writes:
>rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (Scott Rose) writes:
>
>>Anybody out there interested in a Coherent mailing list?  I'm having a few
>>problems with things like the installable device drivers that might profit
>>from some discussion.  I'm assuming that technical support at Mark Williams
>>will be kind of iffy, particularly at first.  Such a list might also be a
>>handy clearinghouse mechanism for ported software; I'm having a stab at
>>"less" and RCS myself at the moment.  Interested parties send me return mail
>>while I scramble around looking for a suitable place to set up an alias, if
>>the interest level should warrant.  Should somebody be in a position to offer
>>to administer the thing, all the better...
>
>What I wanna know is will it work on a 386SX?

Yes it will, but don't expect it to utilitize any of the features of the 386.
Coherent is a 286 based OS.

Anything that will run on a 86, 186, 286, or 386 will run on a 386SX with
respect to instruction set compatability.  Whether a piece of software is
compatable in question depends on your BIOS and the chip set on your
motherboard.  If your 386SX motherboard has one of the more compatable chip
sets on it or is made by one of the major motherboard manufacturers, then you
should be in good shape.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (06/09/90)

cattanac@clitus.cs.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) writes:

>What I wanna know is will it work on a 386SX?

Sure will..

--
 Larry Snyder, Northern Star Communications, Notre Dame, IN
     uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry  -or-  larry@nstar

heiser@world.std.com (Bill Heiser) (06/11/90)

In article <1990Jun7.182739.26754@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu> cattanac@clitus.cs.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) writes:

>What I wanna know is will it work on a 386SX?
>
>  -catt (cattanac@cs.uiuc.edu)

It certainly should ...
--

larry@pylos.cchem.berkeley.edu (Raymond L. June) (06/11/90)

In article <3058@crash.cts.com>, jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau)
writes:
|> cattanac@clitus.cs.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) writes:

Williams

|> >What I wanna know is will it work on a 386SX?
|>
|> Yes it will, but don't expect it to utilitize any of the features of
the 386.
|> Coherent is a 286 based OS.
|>
|> Anything that will run on a 86, 186, 286, or 386 will run on a 386SX with
|> respect to instruction set compatability.  Whether a piece of software is
|> compatable in question depends on your BIOS and the chip set on your
|> motherboard.  If your 386SX motherboard has one of the more compatable chip
|> sets on it or is made by one of the major motherboard manufacturers,
then you
|> should be in good shape.

This is quite true. I have a PC Brand 386/20 that uses the C&T chips set and
AMI386 BIOS. Coherent refuses to even boot on the beast. MWC says that
they have problems with older AMI BIOS's - mine is dated 4/30/89 and PC Brand
says that it's the newest BIOS they distribute. MWC has a 60 day return
policy that I'm going to exercise. I need the PC too much to return it...

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
|>  ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
|>  ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
|>  ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
|>  ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca

**--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
|>  */

Larry June
+--------+-------------------------------------------------------------+
U.Snail: | Larry June, 201 Gilman Hall, Dept. of Chemical Engineering, |
         | University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720       |
ATT:     | 415 642-5927 (worknet) 415 848-3705 (homenet)               |
Internet:| larry@pylos.cchem.berkeley.edu or zeorlj@violet.berkeley.edu|
+--------+-------------------------------------------------------------+

fjb@dhw68k.cts.com (Frank Bielsik) (06/12/90)

In article <1990Jun7.182739.26754@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu> cattanac@clitus.cs.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach) writes:
>rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (Scott Rose) writes:
>
>What I wanna know is will it work on a 386SX?

It works fine on my 386SX...

...Frank Bielsik (fjb@dhw68k.cts.com)

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (06/12/90)

larry@pylos.cchem.berkeley.edu (Raymond L. June) writes:
>In article <3058@crash.cts.com>, jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau)
>writes:

>Williams
>return mail
>alias, if
>position to offer

>|> Yes it will, but don't expect it to utilitize any of the features of
>the 386.
>|> Coherent is a 286 based OS.
>|>
>|> Anything that will run on a 86, 186, 286, or 386 will run on a 386SX with
>|> respect to instruction set compatability.  Whether a piece of software is
>|> compatable in question depends on your BIOS and the chip set on your
>|> motherboard.  If your 386SX motherboard has one of the more compatable chip
>|> sets on it or is made by one of the major motherboard manufacturers,
>then you
>|> should be in good shape.
>|>

>This is quite true. I have a PC Brand 386/20 that uses the C&T chips set and
>AMI386 BIOS. Coherent refuses to even boot on the beast. MWC says that
>they have problems with older AMI BIOS's - mine is dated 4/30/89 and PC Brand
>says that it's the newest BIOS they distribute. MWC has a 60 day return
>policy that I'm going to exercise. I need the PC too much to return it...

Not compatable with an AMI BIOS?  Geez, that is serious.  AMI is one of the
more compatable BIOS chip sets out there.  Again, I wonder about MWC.

Minix is almost at the 32-bit stage.  You might want to investigate that.

     // JCA

 /*
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca@pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
 **--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
 */

flint@gistdev.gist.com (Flint Pellett) (06/13/90)

From what I can tell, Coherent is worth the $100: a lot of you guys are
really comparing apples to oranges.  Compare the cost of the whole
system if you are going to compare things: if you go with DOS, you
are going to have to buy:  1) DOS ($70 for 3.3?), 2) A compiler (another
$100 at least, at today's prices, not two year old ones.)  3) Get uupc
to replace uucp, 4) other utilities: DOS doesn't give you stuff like
cron.

Coherent isn't for everybody though. (I can't use it, because it does
not run on machines that have ESDI or SCSI disks, only on ones that
have MFM or RLL disks- at least this is what their docs say.)
--
Flint Pellett, Global Information Systems Technology, Inc.
1800 Woodfield Drive, Savoy, IL  61874     (217) 352-1165