[comp.os.misc] Mac/Amiga religious war

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (06/09/90)

In article <6567@scolex.sco.COM> seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:
>In article <26637.266e6ed4@vaxb.acs.unt.edu> ac08@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:
>>> And on the Amiga, and the NeXT, you get both. [CLI & GUI]
>>And once Amiga finishes polishing theirs, it'll be a helluva system.
>
>Uhm, I hate to tell you this, but many people (including myself) prefer the
>Amiga to the Mac.  Why?  It's faster, it has a "true OS," supports better
>hardware, etc.
>
>The GUI and CLI are both superior to what the Mac offers; the CLI is better
>than the Mac can *ever* offer (excluding A/UX).

	Unfortunately for the Amiga zelots, the maker doesn't have the
wherewithal to turn it into a major player and all the good software is
user contributed stuff.  And the hardware support is also mostly third
party.
	As for the Amiga GUI.  Its a pretty poor GUI at best (unless
they have improved the default resolution of the monitor).

	Unfortunately for the Mac enthusiasts, Apple is loseing its
focus and costs way too much (unless you get it via a discount program).
And without A/UX it doesn't really multitask worth a darn.

	Hmmmmmm.  Sure seems pretty evenly matched.  You pay your money
and take your chances.
--
Gregory G. Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...mcnc!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]

ag@otter.hpl.hp.com (Ajay Gupta ) (06/14/90)

/ otter:comp.os.misc / ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) /  3:18 am  Jun  9, 1990 /

----------

In article <1990Jun9.021855.8767@wolves.uucp> ggw@wolves.UUCP (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
>>>And once Amiga finishes polishing theirs, it'll be a helluva system.

>>Uhm, I hate to tell you this, but many people (including myself) prefer the
>>Amiga to the Mac.  Why?  It's faster, it has a "true OS," supports better
>>hardware, etc.

>>The GUI and CLI are both superior to what the Mac offers; the CLI is better
>>than the Mac can *ever* offer (excluding A/UX).

>	Unfortunately for the Amiga zelots, the maker doesn't have the
>wherewithal to turn it into a major player and all the good software is
>user contributed stuff.  And the hardware support is also mostly third
>party.
Third party hardware support is an asset, not a liability. It's one of the
benefits of an open architecture. It lets you pick and choose what kinds of
peripherals to obtain, without being locked into a single vendor's pricing
fixtures. Good user contributed software is also an asset - it shows that
the user community is interested in the machine and actively working with it.
It means that people are spending brainpower doing innovative projects on
the machine, instead of blindly pointing and clicking thru canned menus. It
means that the machine is alive, and in use, not just gathering dust in a
corner somewhere, or generating BTUs.

>	As for the Amiga GUI.  Its a pretty poor GUI at best (unless
>they have improved the default resolution of the monitor).

That interlaced video sure was ugly to look at, that's for sure. Apparently
the new A3000 has a flicker-killer circuit. (But I don't know the details, I
own an Atari ST. And the ST has hi-resolution without interlace...)

>	Unfortunately for the Mac enthusiasts, Apple is loseing its
>focus and costs way too much (unless you get it via a discount program).
>And without A/UX it doesn't really multitask worth a darn.

Was OS9/68K ever made available for the Mac? It seems that in the Unix arena
you need a 68030 based system before you can think about object-code
compatibility. It'd be nice to have compatibility for the humble 68000.
I've seen A/UX, and seen enough to know that I don't want to *use* A/UX.
I've *used* ST-Minix, and it's decent, but not too speedy. Of course, OS9
is a little more pricey than Minix...
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  ... the glass is always greener on the side ...

dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) (06/27/90)

In article <O6846:B@ficc.ferranti.com>, peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> ... Anyway, this is off the track...

When has that ever stopped a discussion in a newsgroup before?  :-)

> In article <55.267e2342@skbat.csc.ti.com> dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) writes:
>> Untrue.  I am a Mac owner that insists that the cooperative multitasking
>> available under Multifinder is a kludge that is only tolerated because
>> it's better than no multitasking.
>
> Well, then you're not a Mac Zealot (TM someone, I'm sure), so I wasn't talking
> about you.

I know the type you mean.  I guess this is a knee-jerk reaction due to
local conversations with AmigaZealots (also TM someone, probably) who lump
all Mac owners in the same group.  Sorry.

>> I like the smooth operation of the
>> Amiga multitasking.  I just never liked the Amiga's GUI.
>
> I must admit that the Mac GUI is pretty damn snazzy. I hate the one-button
> mouse and pull-down menus, but they're (damn it) catching on.

I don't mind the pull-down menus.  I would like more than one button on
the mouse, though.  I'd like to see Apple introduce a mouse with three
buttons.  Maybe Apple will bring out a multi-button mouse when they
bring out their OS with preemptive multitasking (System 8 maybe?).  Sure,
there will be some compatibility problems with the older Mac mouses, but
then again, there will be compatibility problems with the old Mac software.
I'm in the minority that would like to see Apple go ahead and get everything
changed now, rather than changing things bit-by-bit.  If we're going to
break, lets really break!

>> I wouldn't say the Amiga is at least 25 years ahead of the competition,
>
> Well, historically. In terms of operating system history, the Amiga is
> somewhere in the early '80s. The underlying O/S on the Mac and IBM are
> somewhere in the early '60s. 20 years, then.
> --
> Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
> +1 713 274 5180.
> <peter@ficc.ferranti.com>

While I'd put MSDOS in the '60s category, I would put the MacOS in more
of a mid- to late '70s category.  The MacOS was designed with the future
in mind, unfortunately there were a few places where Apple aimed in the
wrong direction.

Eric Dittman
Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility
dittman@skitzo.csc.ti.com
dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Texas Instruments or the Component Test
             Facility.  I don't even speak for myself.  I also don't
             guess I speak for the MacZealots either.

BTW, what is the  " `-_-' " symbol supposed to be?

In article <67.2687c62e@skbat.csc.ti.com> dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) writes:
> I know the type you mean.  I guess this is a knee-jerk reaction due to
> local conversations with AmigaZealots (also TM someone, probably) who lump
> all Mac owners in the same group.  Sorry.

Well, the Mac seems to collect a larger-than-usual proportion of Crusaders.
It's a breakthrough machine, and I'd have no hesitation recommending it to
people who need a computer but don't want to deal with one. Except for one
thing: Apple. Too many MacZealots have convinced them they really ARE gods.

> I don't mind the pull-down menus.  I would like more than one button on
> the mouse, though.

If they'd standardise it. I like SELECT-PERFORM-EXTEND, where SELECT is
used to mark things, PERFORM  does a default action (like double-clicking),
and EXTEND provides extra actions (via a menu, of any type, or changing
a button text, or...). The Amiga has only two buttons, so you double-click
on SELECT to get PERFORM, and EXTEND is called MENU.

> While I'd put MSDOS in the '60s category, I would put the MacOS in more
> of a mid- to late '70s category.

It's a split. The underlying O/S itself is still in the library-of-common-
functions stage, with the application still managing the whole system. That
puts it in the early '60s. The user interface is late '70s (mid-to-late
Xerox Smalltalk stuff).

> BTW, what is the  " `-_-' " symbol supposed to be?

It's a wolf.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'  "Have you hugged your wolf today?"
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) (07/04/90)

sc.ti.com> <n8e469e@xds13.ferranti.com>

In article <N8E469E@xds13.ferranti.com>, peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

> Well, the Mac seems to collect a larger-than-usual proportion of Crusaders.
> It's a breakthrough machine, and I'd have no hesitation recommending it to
> people who need a computer but don't want to deal with one. Except for one
> thing: Apple. Too many MacZealots have convinced them they really ARE gods.

I see a lot of Amiga and Atari crusaders as well.  This is probably due to
the "Us vs. Them" attitude that develops from owning a computer with a small
(compared to the IBM PC clones) market.

>> [comments about wanting a 3-button mouse deleted]
> If they'd standardise it. I like SELECT-PERFORM-EXTEND, where SELECT is
> used to mark things, PERFORM  does a default action (like double-clicking),
> and EXTEND provides extra actions (via a menu, of any type, or changing
> a button text, or...). The Amiga has only two buttons, so you double-click
> on SELECT to get PERFORM, and EXTEND is called MENU.

If there's one thing that Apple has done right, it's standardise.  I think
if Apple brought out a 3-button mouse, they'd also update their development
guidelines to reflect the "standard" method of dealing with the buttons.

>> While I'd put MSDOS in the '60s category, I would put the MacOS in more
>> of a mid- to late '70s category.
>
> It's a split. The underlying O/S itself is still in the library-of-common-
> functions stage, with the application still managing the whole system. That
> puts it in the early '60s. The user interface is late '70s (mid-to-late
> Xerox Smalltalk stuff).

And this goes back to the "Is the Mac user interface really part of the
Mac OS?" argument that's been beaten to death lately (and which I've tired
of reading).

>> BTW, what is the  " `-_-' " symbol supposed to be?
>
> It's a wolf.
> --
> Peter da Silva.   `-_-'  "Have you hugged your wolf today?"
> +1 713 274 5180.   'U`
> <peter@ficc.ferranti.com>
> --

Uh, oh, the wolf has its tongue sticking out.  And I hope the ' ` are
whiskers (otherwise, the wolf must be drooling).  :-)  And completely
off the subject, do you own a wolf or something?