[comp.os.misc] QNX, minix, Coherent, other *nix-lookalikes

DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) (07/06/90)

Has anyone done a relative comparison of QNX, minix, Coherent, and
other Unix-lookalike OS for IBM-clones ?

In particular, I'm interested in:

source availability (as I understand, available only for minix)
ease of porting Unix code to environment
third-party software availability (commercial, shareware, freeware)
communication software (uucp, tip/cu/kermit, zmodem, TCP/IP, etc)
-- does NOT necessarily have to be provided by OS vendor.

Environment would be an 8-mhz AT-clone (Everex/AGI).  Real Unix
(requiring a real 80386) would be overkill.  Presently would be
standalone, a SLIP or UUCP connection might be down the road.

Please reply via e-mail, I will post a summary.

Thanks, Doug

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (07/07/90)

In article <90186.163317DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu> DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) writes:
>Has anyone done a relative comparison of QNX, minix, Coherent, and
>other Unix-lookalike OS for IBM-clones ?

I haven't done a comparison, but you might want to know that QNX is not
a Unix look-alike. If you approach it from that angle, you'll either
be very disappointed or very pleased :-)

(Some of the concepts are common, and some of the commands have the same
names, but the syntax and system architecture is quite different. QNX
is similar to Unix primarily insofar as both are 'C machines'.)

--
Frank Kolnick,
Basis Computer Systems Inc.