[comp.os.misc] QNX

trgauchat@rose.waterloo.edu (Terry Gauchat) (05/14/89)

There has been some discussion regarding the QNX operating system
from Quantum, Kanata, Ontario, in comp.ibm.pc.sys .

I offered to post/transmit a 25 page non-technical first hand
evaluation of the product and have received quite a few requests.

Anyone else who is interested, drop me a note!

(It will still be up to a week or more before I've made my final
modifications to it, and then I can transmit it!)

...Terry Gauchat
MicroCosmic Computer Services.

hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil (Michael Hart) (06/27/90)

I guess you European QNX guys are limiting distribution
to your side of the pond, (as is, of course, net polite)!

With the exception of <gardner@kodak.com>, there doesn't seem
to be much activity with QNX by US net-people.

As a favor: could someone in the European community perhaps
forward, or summarize occasionally, the QNX postings, for
those of us in the colonies?

Much thanx, btw.

PS: Patrick Wendt: I'm still interested in any PD stuff you
might have.  Strike up a mail thread, eh?

Michael G. Hart   hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil /  mhart@dtrc.dt.navy.mil
DTRC/DoD			  |  "Wherever you go, there you are."- me
DISCLAIMER: If you want the Navy's opinion, talk to Secretary Cheney.

mtheil@netmbx.UUCP (Matthias Theil) (06/29/90)

hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil (Michael Hart) writes:

Hello Michael,

>I guess you European QNX guys are limiting distribution
>to your side of the pond, (as is, of course, net polite)!

	This is because we here in Berlin are very uninformed about any
new results from Quantum and we hoped to get more informations via the
net.

>With the exception of <gardner@kodak.com>, there doesn't seem
>to be much activity with QNX by US net-people.

	Perhaps this is the influence from QUICS in Canada, Quantum's
own update and information service ? I'll think so. But for us here in
Germany it is too expensive to stay in contact with QUICS like we can
stay in contact with the net. If it would be possible to create an
UUCP-module on QNX, it would be possible to build up QUICS as a new
UUCP-site.

	Aren't there any interested QNX's here on the net who are
interested in such a project ?

		Matthias
--
Matthias Theil - Bundesplatz 12a - D-1000 Berlin 31 - ++49 (0)30 85 47 67-3
UUCP: mtheil@netmbx.UUCP      -=*=- 	BITNET : mtheil%netmbx@db0tui6.bitnet

dewey@sequoia.execu.com (Dewey Henize) (07/03/90)

I don't know how others in the USA/NA/Wherever feel, but I'd love to be able
to see more info on QNX without dialing Canada - or any centralized source,
actually.  While there's nothing *wrong* with the quics interface, the fact
that it's so far away (which means $$$s spent) and that the interface is so
alien to the net interfaces I'm used to means that it's quite awkward for me
to get to.  On the occasions I've tried to keep up with discussions there,
the LD costs got pretty extreme and following the threads was awkward as heck.
(God, I wanted an rn 'k' a lot, knowing the bills were mounting up.)

I wonder if there'd be any interest in an alt.qnx or similiar?  I'd carry it
and pass it on (its good to be the news admin :-) if there were some way to
get it gatewayed from quantum.  Since I can talk to uunet, it would be pretty
easy at this end.  I have nightime TB+ capacity as well.

Reading and keeping up on QNX would be wonderful using the interfaces I'm
used to...

[Note, this is NOT a call for votes or anything that major at this time.  If
there's a reasonable amount of interest we can see if there are objections in
alt.config.  I'm pretty sure there's not close to enough interest for a usenet
'mainstream' group at this point, the overlap between existing readers and
qnx users hasn't seemed to be that high.  Someday perhaps...]

Dew

--
| Execucom and I often have different ideas.  THESE are mine, ok?  Ok.        |
|               dewey@execu.com or uunet!sequoia!dewey                        |

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (07/03/90)

In article <19951@sequoia.execu.com> dewey@execu.com writes:
)...
)I wonder if there'd be any interest in an alt.qnx or similiar?  I'd carry it
)and pass it on (its good to be the news admin :-) if there were some way to
)get it gatewayed from quantum.  Since I can talk to uunet, it would be pretty
)easy at this end.  I have nightime TB+ capacity as well.

I'm in favour, (and with over 100,000QNX sites installed world-wide -- not
to mention the number of users -- I'm sure I'm not alone) but don't have a
clue how to go about it. I suppose there's some way to automate a login to
quics and dump their conferences into a qnx newsgroup. Does the Fidonet
connection do this?

--
Frank Kolnick,
Basis Computer Systems Inc.

pwendt@neon.UUCP (Patrick Wendt) (07/03/90)

mtheil@netmbx.UUCP (Matthias Theil) writes:

>[...] If it would be possible to create an
>UUCP-module on QNX, it would be possible to build up QUICS as a new
>UUCP-site.
>
>	Aren't there any interested QNX's here on the net who are
>interested in such a project ?

Well, I'm still working on that problem, and I think an UUCP-module
for QNX will be completed soon. w{I only need some few informations
more to finish building such a module. So, wait ... :-)

Greetings .... Pat !

- Domain: root@chamber.UUCP (pwendt@chamber.UUCP) ; Zombie's Burial Chamber -
- Bang .: ..!ira.uka.de!smurf!gopnbg!tmpmbx!einoed!utopia!neon!chamber!root -
-   Human Zombie   ; Alternate: pwendt@neon.UUCP ;  Neon Research Caboose   -
- (Patrick  Wendt) ; .!tmpmbx!einoed!utopia!neon!pwendt ; Berlin, W-Germany -
         Earth 2147, the legacy of the metal wars,
                   when men fought machine, and machine won ...

mtheil@netmbx.UUCP (Matthias Theil) (07/05/90)

pwendt@neon.UUCP (Patrick Wendt) writes:

>mtheil@netmbx.UUCP (Matthias Theil) writes:

>>	Aren't there any interested QNX's here on the net who are
>>interested in such a project ?

>Well, I'm still working on that problem, and I think an UUCP-module
>for QNX will be completed soon. w{I only need some few informations
>more to finish building such a module. So, wait ... :-)

	I knew, that *you* are working on such problems !

	But as you can see there are many other interested users here on
the net with the same problems like us and it would be helpful to
discuss the points. Perhaps someday Quantum hear the voices their users ...

	Matthias
--

dewey@sequoia.execu.com (Dewey Henize) writes:

>I don't know how others in the USA/NA/Wherever feel, but I'd love to be able
>to see more info on QNX without dialing Canada - or any centralized source,
>actually.

	After sending my article to the net I received some e-mail about
the same subject and with the same feelings. One of them suggested me to
collect all the different opinions and post them to the guys at Quantum.

>While there's nothing *wrong* with the quics interface, the fact
>that it's so far away (which means $$$s spent) and that the interface is so
>alien to the net interfaces I'm used to means that it's quite awkward for me
>to get to.  On the occasions I've tried to keep up with discussions there,
>the LD costs got pretty extreme and following the threads was awkward as heck.
>(God, I wanted an rn 'k' a lot, knowing the bills were mounting up.)

	That's the fact ! One must spent a lot of money, the interface
isn't anything which one can call "The State of the Art" but the
informations and the possibilties to get in contact with other QNX-Users
are the greatest in the world ( do this happen by accident ? :-( ).

>I wonder if there'd be any interest in an alt.qnx or similiar?  I'd carry it
>and pass it on (its good to be the news admin :-) if there were some way to
>get it gatewayed from quantum.  Since I can talk to uunet, it would be pretty
>easy at this end.  I have nightime TB+ capacity as well.

	I think it would be more effective if we could win the guys at
Quantum for such ideas. Here on the net, Frank Kolnick can be found, who
has written a (very good !) book about QNX. How I can remember he has
very good contacts to Quantum and could perhaps help us in such
projects.

>Reading and keeping up on QNX would be wonderful using the interfaces I'm
>used to...

	We here in Berlin, Patrick Wendt and me, will try to create
something that really works with UUCP under QNX. I think that would help
a lot. We could place this UUCP-Software on QUICS's FreeWare-Area and
over this way there are perhaps any other users which build up an
UUCP-Site with their QNX-machines. After that it would make senses to
create something like alt.qnx or comp.os.qnx ...

	If there are any suitable informations to help us planning and
doing the implementation of UUCP on QNX, please e-mail me.

	Matthias
--
Matthias Theil - Bundesplatz 12a - D-1000 Berlin 31 - ++49 (0)30 85 47 67-3
UUCP: mtheil@netmbx.UUCP      -=*=- 	BITNET : mtheil%netmbx@db0tui6.bitnet
"Shields, check. Deflectors, check. Halon extinguisher, check. Asbestos
suit, check. Gas mask, check. SCBA, check. OK - post it !" -Unky Dave

pwendt@neon.UUCP (Patrick Wendt) (07/05/90)

Hi !
====

Sorry, I missed some articles in here, but I read it later, so I remember
about two articles posted about QNX.

First was from hart (Michael Hart), who was already interested in PD-
stuff of QNX. Michael, please send me some E-Mail or send a message
in here, I lost your address, so I can't contact you, I think I have
several PD-stuff on QNX with might be intersting.

Second was, that someone (don't know WHO it was) talkes about
a newsgroup ALT.QNX or something else. I think, communicate with
QUICKS in Canada is much to expensive, even for us from Germany.
So, a newsgroup or another way of exchanging informations about QNX
over the UUCP-Network would be a very fine way to find some new
QNX users and exchange some real interesting informations.

So, If YOU are using QNX, please mail to comp.os.misc to 'collect'
some QNX users and maybe call for a vote for a comp.os.qnx - newsgroup.

I'm always interested in exchanging informations about QNX, because
there are not much users using QNX as an OS, so information is not
even easy to get.

Greetings ... Patrick.

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (07/08/90)

In article <875@netmbx.UUCP> mtheil@netmbx.UUCP (Matthias Theil) writes:
)dewey@sequoia.execu.com (Dewey Henize) writes:
)...
)	I think it would be more effective if we could win the guys at
)Quantum for such ideas. Here on the net, Frank Kolnick can be found, who
)has written a (very good !) book about QNX. How I can remember he has
)very good contacts to Quantum and could perhaps help us in such
)projects.

In fact, I've tried to get Quantum to participate on Usenet for years.
They seem to be in favour, but as yet haven't done anything about it.
I'll try to get an 'official' answer and post it here.

--

mtheil@netmbx.UUCP (Matthias Theil) (07/12/90)

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:

>)has written a (very good !) book about QNX. How I can remember he has
>)very good contacts to Quantum and could perhaps help us in such
>)projects.

>In fact, I've tried to get Quantum to participate on Usenet for years.
>They seem to be in favour, but as yet haven't done anything about it.
>I'll try to get an 'official' answer and post it here.

	It would be great if you can get such an official answer. I
tried that for months with no effects :-(

	Matthias
--

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (07/16/90)

)
)>In fact, I've tried to get Quantum to participate on Usenet for years.
)>They seem to be in favour, but as yet haven't done anything about it.
)>I'll try to get an 'official' answer and post it here.
)
)	It would be great if you can get such an official answer. I
)tried that for months with no effects :-(

The official answer is that there's no answer now, but that there will
be soon. Sigh. (My guess is, wait for Posix QNX.)

--

pwendt@neon.UUCP (Patrick Wendt) (07/23/90)

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:

>The official answer is that there's no answer now, but that there will
>be soon. Sigh. (My guess is, wait for Posix QNX.)

Do you know when Posix QNX should be available ?!?

  Greetings ... Pat !

- Domain: root@chamber.UUCP ; QNX-OS ; Patrick Wendt, Berlin (WEST) Germany -
- Bang .: ..!ira.uka.de!smurf!gopnbg!tmpmbx!einoed!utopia!neon!chamber!root -

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (07/25/90)

In article <1251@neon.UUCP> pwendt@neon.UUCP (Patrick Wendt) writes:
>Do you know when Posix QNX should be available ?!?

Gruss die!  (or whatever -- it's been a while since I studied German)

As far as I know, PQNX goes into beta next month and should be released
by October. I know Quantum is doing little else but pound on this
version to get it ready :-)

--

pwendt@neon.UUCP (Patrick Wendt) (07/30/90)

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
>Gruss die!  (or whatever -- it's been a while since I studied German)

I think you mean: Gruess Dich ! ;->

>As far as I know, PQNX goes into beta next month and should be released
>by October. I know Quantum is doing little else but pound on this
>version to get it ready :-)

Well, I got connection to Quantum (received e-mail), 'cause they
are interested in my UUCP-work. Maybe I could get more information
from them directly. But PQNX would be very interesting and I hope
they will hurry up ;->