[comp.os.misc] QNX and ethernet connection to UNIX machines

tims@acflanl.infidel.lanl.gov (Tim Sullivan) (09/09/90)

Does Quantum or any third parties sell software to connect QNX
machines to UNIX machines over an ethernet? I'm looking for something
that will allow the QNX machine to do ftp, rlogin, email, (in general
participate in the local ethernet and if possible the Internet).  Also
of interest would be software to mount an NFS volume of the UNIX
machine.

Thanks for any information,

Tim Sullivan (tims@infidel.lanl.gov)

larry@focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) (09/11/90)

In article <TIMS.90Sep8235146@acflanl.infidel.lanl.gov> Tim Sullivan writes:

 > Does Quantum or any third parties sell software to connect QNX
 > machines to UNIX machines over an ethernet? I'm looking for something
 > that will allow the QNX machine to do ftp, rlogin, email, (in general
 > participate in the local ethernet and if possible the Internet).  Also
 > of interest would be software to mount an NFS volume of the UNIX
 > machine.

CMC sells a tcp/ip package that works with their ethernet card. We've
bought ours though Yankee Electronics (603) 625-9746, Jo Shatzman
is the sales person we normally use.

It is a weird package. The assumption is that it is a qnx user wanting
access to the unix world, not the other way around. No rlogind,
telnetd, inetd, etc. You get rlogin, ftp and the normal tcp/ip
libraries. No NFS. The libraries work only with the Computer
Innovation's CI86 compiler, not the Quantum compiler.

Rlogin is weird, because there is not terminfo (or termcap) for a qnx
terminal. I wrote a simple one, but it is not really an good.

Because CI86 does not have fork(), whipping up your own inet and any
of the other daemons is not a simple job. But it can be done.

It only works with the CMC-640 smart ethernet card. This is an
expensive card, about $1200, with the qnx software an extra $400, this
is quite a package. Of course, depending on usage, you only need one
board per qnx network. One board can be shared by all qnx users. We
don't do this, so I don't know how well it works.

It seems fast enough. Our application is to send large volumes of
image data to a number of unix machines and back again. It can keep
up, but just barely.

All in all, it works. We use it because we have to. We hate it.

-Larry

gisle@ifi.uio.no (Gisle Hannemyr) (09/11/90)

I tried to mail this --- but it bounced.

tims@acflanl.infidel.lanl.gov (message of 9 Sep 90 05:51:46 GMT) wrote:
> Does Quantum or any third parties sell software to connect QNX
> machines to UNIX machines over an ethernet? I'm looking for something
> that will allow the QNX machine to do ftp, rlogin, email, (in general
> participate in the local ethernet and if possible the Internet).  Also
> of interest would be software to mount an NFS volume of the UNIX
> machine.

                              ME TOO!

Please post (or mail me) a summary of whatever you find out.

I have tried to talk to the local Quantum distributor, but they do
not seem to be very technical types (doesn't understand what the TCP,
UDP or telnet protocols is).

--
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my
            employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.

- gisle hannemyr  (Norwegian Computing Center)
  EAN:   C=no;PRMD=uninett;O=nr;S=Hannemyr;G=Gisle (X.400 SA format)
         gisle.hannemyr@nr.no                      (RFC-822  format)
  Inet:  gisle@ifi.uio.no
  UUCP:  ...!mcvax!ifi!gisle

hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil (Michael Hart) (09/11/90)

In <TIMS.90Sep8235146@acflanl.infidel.lanl.gov> tims@acflanl.infidel.lanl.gov (Tim Sullivan) writes:

>Does Quantum or any third parties sell software to connect QNX
>machines to UNIX machines over an ethernet? I'm looking for something
>that will allow the QNX machine to do ftp, rlogin, email, (in general
>participate in the local ethernet and if possible the Internet).  Also
>of interest would be software to mount an NFS volume of the UNIX
>machine.

>Thanks for any information,

>Tim Sullivan (tims@infidel.lanl.gov)

Hi!
	Yes, there is TCP/IP software for QNX available.  Unfortunatly,:-)
I'm at work, and the paper is at home.

	I will make every effort to bring the materials in tomorrow, and
post a reference.

Michael G. Hart   hart@blackjack.dt.navy.mil /  mhart@dtrc.dt.navy.mil
DTRC/DoD			  |  "Wherever you go, there you are."- me
DISCLAIMER: If you want the Navy's opinion, talk to Secretary Cheney.

peter@ontmoh.UUCP (Peter Renzland) (09/12/90)

> Does Quantum or any third parties sell software to connect QNX
> machines to UNIX machines over an ethernet?
[...]
> Tim Sullivan (tims@infidel.lanl.gov)

Call FASTECH in Boston: 617/890-1776 and ask about TCP/IP for QNX

--
Peter Renzland @ Ontario Ministry of Health  416/964-9141  peter@ontmoh.UUCP

gardner@kodak.kodak.com (Dick Gardner) (09/12/90)

I tried to mail this --- but it bounced.

In article <TIMS.90Sep8235146@acflanl.infidel.lanl.gov> you write:
>Does Quantum or any third parties sell software to connect QNX
>machines to UNIX machines over an ethernet? I'm looking for something
>that will allow the QNX machine to do ftp, rlogin, email, (in general
>participate in the local ethernet and if possible the Internet).  Also
>of interest would be software to mount an NFS volume of the UNIX
>machine.

Tim-

	There is an ethernet connection available. It consists of a CMC
board (powered by a 68020? I think it's an '020 - I'm sure it's a Motorola
chip), and a telnet and ftp. I'm not sure about other utilities.  The cost
is about $3k, with the board and the software for a single board.  It is
sold by:
	FasTech Integration
	400 Fifth Ave.
	Waltham, Mass  02154
	(617) 890-1776

	We've done business with Fastech involving their other products,
and they've been very reliable and provide excellent technical support.

	CMC has apparently turned over the sales and marketing of this
board and the QNX software to Fastech.  I was at Fastech for training in
April and saw the beta-product running then. Also, I just returned from
QNX/90 in Ottawa, and Fastech was an exhibitor, and the only product they
were marketing was this Ethernet combo.

	BTW, I've gotten NCSA Telnet and FTP running under QDOS (using
a 3Com card) without any difficulty.  I also modified NCSA Telnet to
run under RUNDOS so that it would handle file transfers correctly.  So
that is another possible solution for you.

	If I can help you at all, feel free to contact me.

   Dick Gardner -- Eastman Kodak Co.  Rochester, New York  14652-4201
                   Phone: (716) 477-1002
		   Net address:  gardner@kodak.com

	My new whiz-bang computer is SOOOOOOO fast ----
	  (How fast is it??)	it executes an infinite loop in 50 msec!!!