[comp.os.misc] Wierd filenames

bevan@cs.man.ac.uk (Stephen J Bevan) (11/28/90)

Are there any ASCII based OSs that allow you to create filenames that
contain the ASCII character NUL?

For example a file called :-

	stupid@file

where `@' represents the NUL character.  UNIX (SunOS 4.1 actually)
seems to allow most other characters in the name e.g. a space, but I
can't get it to accept a NUL.  I am not really suprised by this given
UNIX is implemented in C.

Is there any system that does allow NUL in the name?  If you know of
one, could you (send me)/post details of how the file is created (e.g.
shell script, fragment of C, ADA, BLISS, ... etc.)  If the system has
a C compiler, how does it react when you try and open the file using
fopen?  i.e. does it open it correctly (that would be bizarre) or does
it try to open a file called `stupid'.

Ta

Stephen J. Bevan		bevan@cs.man.ac.uk

slsw2@cc.usu.edu (11/30/90)

In article <BEVAN.90Nov27203337@panda.cs.man.ac.uk>, bevan@cs.man.ac.uk (Stephen J Bevan) writes:
> Are there any ASCII based OSs that allow you to create filenames that
> contain the ASCII character NUL?

Well, it's not ASCII, but OS/8 has an interesting mechanism for doing that
sort of thing. In place of a file name you could type '#' followed by a
digit string that specified the file name in octal (6-bit chars = 2 digits
per char). That way you could build file names that had spaces on the
front or what have you.
Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

harley@irisa.fr (Jon Harley) (12/01/90)

In article <BEVAN.90Nov27203337@panda.cs.man.ac.uk> bevan@cs.man.ac.uk (Stephen J Bevan) writes:
>Are there any ASCII based OSs that allow you to create filenames that
>contain the ASCII character NUL?

>[...]
>Is there any system that does allow NUL in the name?  If you know of
>one, could you (send me)/post details of how the file is created (e.g.
>shell script, fragment of C, ADA, BLISS, ... etc.)

>Stephen J. Bevan		bevan@cs.man.ac.uk

Honeywell multics (RIP), at least v 11, let you. You just typed \000 and NUL
was inserted (you could insert any ascii character by giving a 3 digit
octal code in this way).

You could also create directories called "<" (which means to multics what
"../" means to unix), which confused the hell out of the accounting
software!

Ah... the good old days, of wombat.forum at bham.multics...

Jon.
--
   __________________________________
  / --Jonathan Harley    smile! :-) / "Le plaisir               //      //  //

lennox@minilove.diag.stratus.com (Craig Scott Lennox) (12/01/90)

In article <BEVAN.90Nov27203337@panda.cs.man.ac.uk> bevan@cs.man.ac.uk (Stephen J Bevan) writes:

   UNIX (SunOS 4.1 actually)
   seems to allow most other characters in the name e.g. a space, but I
   can't get it to accept a NUL.

The reason you can't is that NUL is used by the UNIX kernel to
terminate a filename.

                                Craig.

--
|    flame me at: lennox@minilove.diag.stratus.com, (Craig Scott Lennox)    |
|"Oh boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a REALLY BIG ram disk!" |

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (12/01/90)

In article <BEVAN.90Nov27203337@panda.cs.man.ac.uk>, bevan@cs.man.ac.uk (Stephen J Bevan) writes:
> Are there any ASCII based OSs that allow you to create filenames that
> contain the ASCII character NUL?

AmigaDOS, at the lowest filesystem interface, uses counted strings for the
file name, so I imagine it would be possible to put NULs in a name.

My question is "Why do you ask?"         -- Darren
--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages,

kris@beep.UUCP (Kris Muss) (12/01/90)

In article <BEVAN.90Nov27203337@panda.cs.man.ac.uk>, bevan@cs.man.ac.uk (Stephen J Bevan) writes:
 >Are there any ASCII based OSs that allow you to create filenames that
 >contain the ASCII character NUL?

     I don't know about NULs, but here at beep files can be created with
backspaces in them; i.e.

	this<BS><BS>at

     This would show up on a 'ls' as "that".  The backspaces can be seen
by doing "ls | cat -v".  To remove such a file by name, you would have to
type in the backspaces (as expected).  I found one of these in beep and
it was a b*tch to remove because I had forgotten just WHERE in the
file name the backspaces were.

--
					Port'naybl
					key!beep!kris -OR- woodowl!beep!kris

"For men without women
 are like fish without water to swim in;                       Was (Not Was)
 their eyes bugging out, they flop on the beach                "Shadow & Jimmy"
 and stare up at the girls who are just out of reach."

cs202101@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs202101) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Nov29.143756.43331@cc.usu.edu> slsw2@cc.usu.edu writes:
>In article <BEVAN.90Nov27203337@panda.cs.man.ac.uk>, bevan@cs.man.ac.uk (Stephen J Bevan) writes:
>> Are there any ASCII based OSs that allow you to create filenames that
>> contain the ASCII character NUL?

You can do this on IBM PC's running MS-DOS; all you need to do is hold
down the Alt key and enter the number 255.  This will allow you to have
blanks in a file name (the extended ASCII char #255 is a blank).

Robert Douglas Davis     # Is reality real?  Can you prove it?
cs202101@umbc5.umbc.edu  # Can you write an algorythm to prove it?
Home: +1-301-744-7964    # Do you have a computer fast enough to compute it?
BBS:  +1-301-788-6663    # ---> REAL Education: The Benny Hill Show!