[comp.os.misc] Coherent Digest Vol. 90.4, No. 1

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (Scott M. Rose) (12/18/90)

In the absence of a multitude of flames urging me to cease and desist, I may
undertake to continue to post these things until such a time as alt.coherent
or comp.os.coherent becomes a reality.  That means maybe two of these a week?

Coherent Digest Vol. 90.4, No. 1      Thu Dec 13 21:19:30 CST 1990

Today's Topics:

   Device Drivers and Other Extensions
   Re: a break problem
   Re: a break problem
   Re:  Moving to an Alt group...
   Re: a break problem, thanks to MWC and Esa A
   Problem with lpr and epson
   Re: Device Drivers, etc.
   Re: a break problem
   wanted: back posted articles on floppy
   Coherent Compatibility
   Moving to an Alt group...
   Minix/Coherent swap.

Administrivia:

  The Coherent Digest is a forum for discussion of the MWC Coherent 3.x
  operating system.  Send submissions to "coherent@cs.wisc.edu" and
  administrivia to "coherent-reqeust@cs.wisc.edu".  Previous issues are
  archived for anonymous FTP access on piggy.ucsb.edu in the directory
  "pub/coherent/mail-list".

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 19:22:32 PST
From: curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson)
To: coherent
Subject: Device Drivers and Other Extensions

Bill Henning <bhenning@bhami.wimsey.bc.ca> writes:

> Well, I've broken down and ordered Coherent and the Device Driver Developer
> Kit today. With luck, I should get it before Xmas. The presence of mwc on
> the net is great - and they are quite helpful, and always reply to email.

Does the device driver kit cost anything?  What do you get with it?
Is the source for any part of Coherent available to normal mortals (so
I can fix the @#$# ls command :-)).

> - has anyone ported
>   - a comm program

I got kermit with mine, but it seems to have a few major problems.
If I try to use it after I've run getty (but disabled it) on the port
what I type goes out to the modem but what comes back doesn't appear
on the screen.  I don't know what's causing this.

> - has anyone added
>   - nice

The priority considerations for processes seem very mysterious to me.
The lexicon entry for ps states:

    CVAL SVAL IVAL RVAL
        Scheduling information; bigger is better.

which doesn't tell me a whole heck of a lot.  :-(

initialization code >   - trying to port MGR > > An idea I am playing
with (how realistic it is I won't know until after > I've received
Coherent and the device kit)

> is to write a driver for vtty{n}
> (n=0...15 or more) that multiplexes sessions over one comm port.

How about doing this for the console?  I'd be happy to have four
virtual terminals that I could switch between with the F1-F4 keys.

In other news, I've got MINIX installed on another partition of my
hard drive and it appears that, for most purposes, Coherent beats it
all to hell.  MINIX seems a bit faster, although I won't swear to that
until I've run some benchmarks, but Coherent has a far more complete
set of utilities (though for some mysterious reason _cut_ seems to be
missing--whaah!).  I'm going to go though MINIX and grab all the PD
source code and tar it on to a floppy (Coherent's ustar is compatable
with MINIX's tar) and see what I can port.  I'm also going to try and
bring up B-news; has anybody else out there had any success with this
project?

What do people out there think about turing this list into a newsgroup
under the alt hierarchy?  I'm getting a little sick of recieving each
of my postings here four or five times due to bounces.  :-(

cjs

                                 | "The unconscious self is the real genius.
curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca          |  Your breathing goes wrong the minute your
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!cynic!curt |  conscious self meddles with it."  --GBS

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 90 16:14:04 EST
From: Don Irmiger <don@delta.com>
To: uunet!wimsey.bc.ca!cynic!curt@uunet.UU.NET (Curt Sampson)
Cc: coherent (coherent discussion group)
Subject: Re: a break problem

> Xenix apparently has a system call called nap(x) which will sleep for
> n milliseconds.  This would be handy to have in Coherent (hint! hint!,
> MWC :-)).  It's gotten around for non-Xenix systems by using the
> following function:
>
> #define NAP_TIMER 1140      /* about right for a 20MHz 80386 */
>
> void nap(t)  /* a hack */
> register t;
> {
>     t = t * NAP_TIMER
>
>     while(t--)
>         ;
> }
>
> (This is from xcmalt, a terminal program that I have not yet ported.  :-()
>
> For coherent it's advisiable to add a second inner loop because
> NAP_TIMER can't get any bigger than 32 or so; Coherent's register ints
> are only 16 bit.

Yuck, this is truly gross.  Fine under a non-multitasking system, but these
types of loops really blow a multitasking system apart.  Any good compiler
will reduce this code via optimization to {}.

--
Donald K. Irmiger III                                 UUCP: uunet!delta.com!don
Data Systems Coordinator                          Internet: don@delta.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 90 12:45 PST
From: tbr@tfic.bc.ca (Tom Rushworth)
To: coherent

Anders Fongen <anders@fongen.uu.no> writes:

> through the IOCTL-call, but the neccesary timing of 200 ms duration
> is harder to obtain. I have found no timers in Coherent (or in UNIX, for
> that matter) with a granularity better than one second

The poll system call in Coherent has a millisecond timeout capability.  Try
polling no devices, or an unused device, with a 200ms timeout.  There was a
bug in the return code, I don't know if it was fixed in 3.1, but it doesn't
matter, since the call worked just fine - it just returned the wrong value
in one case and you won't care what the value is in any case.
----
Tom Rushworth (604) 733-0731 [FAX: 733-0634] | uunet!ubc-cs!van-bc!tacitus!tbr
   Timberline Forest Inventory Consultants   | or: tbr@tfic.bc.ca

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 90 19:15:41 CST
From: paulr% (Paul Raulerson)
To: wayne@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Cc: coherent
Subject: Re:  Moving to an Alt group...

I don't like it at all.  We have a lot of grief with newsgroups, espescially
alt newsgroups over here.
-Paul

------------------------------

Date: 10 Dec 90 00:49:59
From: Anders Fongen <anders@fongen.uu.no>
To: coherent
Subject: Re: a break problem, thanks to MWC and Esa A

I did a bit of experimenting on how to genereate break codes, which
turned out to be non-trivial. You can set the break signal ON or OFF
through the IOCTL-call, but the neccesary timing of 200 ms duration
is harder to obtain. I have found no timers in Coherent (or in UNIX, for
that matter) with a granularity better than one second, so the best I
could obtain was a one-second break code, which could turn out to be
less useful.

Anders Fongen

Anders Fongen			BIX : afongen
Vallerveien 57E			INET: anders@fongen.uu.no
N-1344 HASLUM			USENET: ...uunet!fongen.uu.no!anders
NORWAY				tlf: +47-2-530505

------------------------------

Date: 11 Dec 90 18:07:57
From: mhm!root (Superuser)
To: coherent@uop.edu
Subject: Problem with lpr and epson

Hi..
	I just installed printer to my computer and I tried to print
a file to it. The problem is when I used lpr <filename> it give me
this error: "lpd: /dev/lp: no such device or address". Then I tried
using epson and it give me this: "epson:  cannot open /dev/lp". And
when I looked at /usr/spool/lpd .. there! there are two files which
I think in queues to printer. I have chmode 666 for the /dev/lp* and
I don't know if I supposed to do that.
	Any help is really appreciated.

Hamid

+---------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Mohd H. Misnan	    |  UUCP: mhm!{root|hamid}@uop.uop.edu |
| 810, West Stadium Dr #6   |  INET: hmisnan@madvax.uop.edu	  |
| Stockton, CA 95204.	    |  	     acs17111@uop.uop.edu	  |
+---------------------------+-------------------------------------+

------------------------------

Date: 12 Dec 90 11:14:28
From: jandel!ganymede@uunet.UU.NET (Jeff Bennington)
To: coherent_group@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Re: Device Drivers, etc.

From: uunet!cynic.wimsey.bc.ca!curt (Curt Sampson)
Comments: Guru?  Or charlatan?
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 90 19:22:32 PST

Curt Sampson <curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca> writes:

> I got kermit with mine, but it seems to have a few major problems.
> If I try to use it after I've run getty (but disabled it) on the port
> what I type goes out to the modem but what comes back doesn't appear
> on the screen.  I don't know what's causing this.

Curt and others: This is caused by /etc/modemcap's previous initialization
of your modem!  Don't forget Unix rule #1: ECHO MUST BE TURNED OFF
FOR GETTY TO WORK!  (Try enabling echo (usually ATE1) on your modem
then enabling that port for logon:  those lights on the status panel
should go crazy!  That's because getty is sending out a Login: prompt,
which is echo'd back at itself, and it tries to process that line as
a login!  Endless looping galore..)

To get a dialout after disabling getty, just try ATZ or AT&F on your
modem through kermit. You might then need to try ATE1V1 to get
the OK (and echoes).  For convienance, use mknod for establishing
/dev/modem for your preferred tty port.  I learned a bit about
the intrinsic weirdnesses of Unix and Coherent just though trial
and error.

Does anyone have just one modem on their Coherent box used for both
dialin AND dialout?  I've tried putting in crontab an enable statement
for after-hours dialing in, but the permissions on the com port
are screwed.  (chmod seems to fail in crontab).  Do I need to
run cron with suid root?

Thanks,

	Jeff
--
Jandel Scientific  65 Koch Road, Corte Madera, CA  94925
ganymede@jandel.com  /  ..!{apple!fico2 , uunet}!jandel!ganymede

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 90 14:23:32 PST
From: curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson)
To: coherent

Date: 13 Dec 90 02:27:22
From: citrus!root@csusac.ecs.csus.edu (Joel M. Baldwin    Superuser)
To: coherent
Cc: root@csusac.ecs.csus.edu%
Subject: wanted: back posted articles on floppy

I'm worried enough about the uunet traffic that I'll be causing
my uucp connection.  And rather then bug everyone on this mailing
list with questions and problems that have already been disscused
I'd like to read through all the back posted entries.

Solution:   I would very much appreciate someone with all of the
	    back postings getting in touch with me so that a floppy
	    could be sent to me with all of the postings on it.

Joel M. Baldwin				H ( 916 ) 383-9470
N6NPL					W    "    452-1481
csusac.ecs.csus.edu!citrus!root		Sacramento CA.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 90 01:08:49 PST
From: overlord@rlyeh.wimsey.bc.ca (Bill Kloubek)
To: coherent
Subject: Coherent Compatibility

I am running a 386-33, with a 110 Rodime IDE hard drive.  Does Coherent
support the IDE interface?  From what I've been reading, I'd like to know
more about Coherent, could somebody tell me where I might purchase a copy
of it?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 90 11:54:52 MST
From: wayne@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Wayne McCormick)
To: coherent
Subject: Moving to an Alt group...

Curt Sampson writes: (curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca)

> What do people out there think about turing this list into a newsgroup
> under the alt hierarchy?  I'm getting a little sick of recieving each
> of my postings here four or five times due to bounces.  :-(

I don't like this idea, our site doesn't pick up any of the alt groups.

Wayne
wayne@cpsc.ucalgary.ca

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 90 14:02:15 -0600
From: kenny@msc.edu (Kenneth R. Goers)
To: coherent
Subject: Minix/Coherent swap.

I've got version 3.0.0 of Coherent and Version 1.1 of the device driver
kit, and was wondering if any body out there would like to swap for any
version of Minix for the PC (plus or minus a few bucks, depending).

I really like Coherent but since I'm so used to having source for everything,
I'm spoiled and can't live without it.  If your even a little interested
let me know, maybe we can strike a deal.

Kenny.
--
Kenny Goers          Minnesota Supercomputer Center       kenny@msc.edu
                                                       or (612) 642-9336