[comp.os.misc] Problem with lpr and epson

celd@stbimbo.UUCP (Charles LeDuc) (12/19/90)

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (Scott M. Rose) writes:
>	I just installed printer to my computer and I tried to print
>a file to it. The problem is when I used lpr <filename> it give me
>this error: "lpd: /dev/lp: no such device or address". Then I tried
>using epson and it give me this: "epson:  cannot open /dev/lp". And
>when I looked at /usr/spool/lpd .. there! there are two files which
>I think in queues to printer. I have chmode 666 for the /dev/lp* and
>I don't know if I supposed to do that.

Try reinstalling and tell it that your printer is attached to LPT2:
that's what I did, and it subsequently worked when it hadn't before.
I had experienced the same problem you did, and it works fine now.
By the way, my printer was attached to the port that DOS recognized
as LPT1.  Is this just a hardware funkiness of my machine, or is this
a genuine COHERENT bug?

Anyway, hope this helps...

Chuck