[comp.os.misc] Coherent Digest Vol. 90.4, No. 3

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (Fiona Rose Condon) (12/20/90)

Coherent Digest Vol. 90.4, No. 3      Wed Dec 19 09:58:08 CST 1990

Today's Topics:

   FOO
   MGR/mail problems/mailing list
   Re: Moving to an Alt group...
   SCSI driver
   (none)
   smail
   Help on i-number
   Re: Moving to an Alt group
   modem & UUCP
   re:modem & UUCP
   uux
   PD Software for Coherent
   Technical Support via Mail
   Re: modem & UUCP
   Looking for do's and don't's
   Re:  Looking for do's and don't's
   (none)
   Coherent review and small utilities in Dutch magazine
   (none)

Administrivia:

  The Coherent Digest is a forum for discussion of the MWC Coherent 3.x
  operating system.  Send submissions to "coherent@cs.wisc.edu" and
  administrivia to "coherent-reqeust@cs.wisc.edu".  Previous issues are
  archived for anonymous FTP access on piggy.ucsb.edu in the directory
  "pub/coherent/mail-list".

Date: 14 Dec 90 17:01:01
From: mwc!norm@uunet.UU.NET (Norman Bartek)
To: cohmail@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: FOO

> Date: 12 Dec 90 11:14:28
> From: uunet!jandel!ganymede (Jeff Bennington)
> To: coherent_group
> Subject: Re: Device Drivers, etc.
> Does anyone have just one modem on their Coherent box used for both
> dialin AND dialout?  I've tried putting in crontab an enable statement
> for after-hours dialing in, but the permissions on the com port
> are screwed.  (chmod seems to fail in crontab).  Do I need to
> run cron with suid root?

Yes, we have a Trailblazer+ on "mwc" that dials out to UUNET as well as
accepting calls from remote sites. The L-devices entry lists both the
remote as well as local versions of the com port name so that the remote line
will be disabled before attempting to dial out (and re-enabled afterwards).
The stock uucico we ship with release 3.x should enable/disable the port for
you without any trouble assuming that you haven't changed the permissions on
/etc/enable and /etc/disable from being set-UID and set-GID.

Contact our Tech Support department if you continue to have problems.

------------------------------

Date: 15 Dec 90 01:05:55
From: md386!mark@uunet.UU.NET (Mark E. Davidson)
To: coherent

Greetings, fellow Coherent users!

First of all, several people have asked if anyone is porting MGR to Coherent.
Well, I'm giving it a shot.  I almost have all the source code on my system,
so as soon as I get the final few missing pieces, I will get started on the
port.  I've also been looking at a few other packages to port, so if anyone
has something they want ported to Coherent, let me know.  I love a challenge!
:)

Secondly, many of you may remember that I complained several weeks ago about
having horrible mail problems with Coherent; specifically, that the mail
system would corrupt mail headers after the mail had arrived at my system.
Furthermore, the messages would disappear!  Well, I am happy to announce
that Coherent 3.1.0 with the 3.1.0b mail package seems to take care of the
problem.  Please note that I still had a few problems with the mail package
that was shipped with the 3.1.0 update disk.  The mwcbbs system has an
updated version of uux and uuxqt.

That reminds me.  If anyone on this list sent me mail in the last week or so
and does not receive a reply, please mail me again.  I only got the new
versions of uux and uuxqt installed today.

As far as the option of an alt or comp group, I personally don't mind the
way it is now.  As of right now, I don't have a news feed (and no new software
for Coherent), so I couldn't read the alt/comp group even if it did get
created.  I guess that means I don't have any preference right now.

Oh, I want to thank the tech support people at MWC.  They were kind enough
to help me over the net with my mail problems.  Thank you Mark Epstein!

Mark Davidson
...!uunet!md386!mark
...!quad1!md386!mark

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Dec 90 17:34:47 GMT
From: Kevin Purcell <KPURCELL@liverpool.ac.uk>
To: Scott Rose <rose>, Coherent distribution list <coherent>
Subject: Re: Moving to an Alt group...

On Fri, 14 Dec 90 16:09:02 CST Scott Rose (rose@edu.wisc.cs) said:
[...]
>In any event, if and when a newsgroup is created, I will do my best to
>gateway traffic to and from it- I *think* I have the technology to do
>that in hand.  If a comp group follows an alt group, I would propose to
>drop gatewaying the alt traffic.

This would give two distinct sites for Coherent info -- so to get the
whole readership you would have to post to both (if you can) and then
you have to read both.

I think splitting the community is a bad idea and USENET is notorious
for its noise and "flaming behaviour". I prefer the mailing list (which
would be almost as good if its advertise periodically on USENET): lower
noise and everybody can get to it.

Kevin
                                                      _   .
Kevin Purcell          | kpurcell@liverpool.ac.uk   _/ \ / \   kgp@cxa.dl.ac.uk
Surface Science,       |                           /----/^^^\
Liverpool University   | There is now a damm fine /TWIN PEAKS\ email discussion
Liverpool L69 3BX, UK  | list for TPers. Mail me /    /       \ for details.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 15:47:44 EST
From: msdc!esa@uunet.UU.NET (Esa T. Ahola)
To: coherent
Subject: SCSI driver

Somebody asked about the Adaptec 154x driver.

I've been running with a 1542B and the Coherent driver for a couple of
months, without a glitch.  Throughput is slower than my RLL drives on a
WD1006VSR2, but this is probably due to track buffering on the WD1006
(my SCSI drive has no cache).  I have no experience with multiple SCSI
drives or SCSI boot partitions (although I may soon).

With SCSI come large file systems.  Coherent's fabulous virtualized
fsck can check the big ones (slowly), but poor old mkfs barfs mallocing
its data structures.  The limits are about 90MB for partition size and
27000 inodes.  I 'm *SURE* MWC is working on this...  :-)

--
Esa Ahola           esa@msdc.com      uunet!msdc!esa        CIS:70012,2753
Medical Systems Development Corporation (MsdC), Atlanta GA  (404) 589-3368

------------------------------

No subject field?
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 18:48:43 -0500
From: "Chris Webster" <cwebster@rodan.acs.syr.edu>
To: coherent

  Personally, I don't think that this mailing list should move to a .alt
group.  Comp.os.coherent would be fine, but an .alt group doesn't seem
legitimate for a operating system the quality of Coherent.

  Also, does anyone have a list of 386 coherent-compatible motherboards?
(Or a list of incompatibilites/BIOS problems?)  Santa's going to be
bringing me one :-) and I'd like to make sure that I can run Coherent
on it.

------------------------------

Date: 17 Dec 90 00:58:46
From: wah@zach.fit.edu (Bill Huttig)
To: coherent
Subject: smail

I have a problem with smail or something... I call uflorida (bikini.cis.ufl.edu)
for mail from the internet.  Since uu* only understands 7 char names I have
a alias in the database uflorida uflorid!%s which spools the files to the
right place. The only problem is the rmail line in the control file.
It reads rmail (username )

Where did the ('s come from and how can i get rid of them?

Bill
wah@zach.fit.edu

------------------------------

Date: 17 Dec 90 20:04:02
From: mhm!root (Mohd H. Misnan)
To: coherent@uop.edu
Subject: Help on i-number

Hi,
	Can someone figure out on how to solve this annoying message
Phase 1: Check Blocks and Sizes
Possible File Size Error i-number = 1447  <-------
	Do I need to use dcheck,ncheck or icheck? If I do, do I need to
make Coherent in single user or multi-user?
	Thanks for any help.

Hamid

+---------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Mohd H. Misnan	    |  UUCP: mhm!{root|hamid}@uop.uop.edu |
| 810, West Stadium Dr #6   |  INET: hmisnan@madvax.uop.edu	  |
| Stockton, CA 95204.	    |  	     acs17111@uop.uop.edu	  |
+---------------------------+-------------------------------------+

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 14:28:24 PST
From: curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson)
To: coherent

Kevin Purcell <KPURCELL@liverpool.ac.uk> writes:

> On Fri, 14 Dec 90 16:09:02 CST Scott Rose (rose@edu.wisc.cs) said:
> [...]
> >
> >In any event, if and when a newsgroup is created, I will do my best to
> >gateway traffic to and from it- I *think* I have the technology to do
> >that in hand.  If a comp group follows an alt group, I would propose to
> >drop gatewaying the alt traffic.
>
> This would give two distinct sites for Coherent info -- so to get the
> whole readership you would have to post to both (if you can) and then
> you have to read both.

I think you misunderstood.  As tradition has it, if comp.whatever
replaces alt.whatever, then alt.whatever is removed.

> I think splitting the community is a bad idea and USENET is notorious
> for its noise and "flaming behaviour". I prefer the mailing list (which
> would be almost as good if its advertise periodically on USENET): lower
> noise and everybody can get to it.

The mailing list results in much higher noise in my mailbox.  I've had
about 20 bounce messages in the last week (and this post will generate
at least two or three more).  As well, a mailing list uses up many
times the bandwidth of a newsgroup.

At any rate, I'm suspending the whole proposal until I get some more
information that I've been waiting on.  I'll be posting the new
proposal later this week.

cjs

                                 | "The unconscious self is the real genius.
curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca          |  Your breathing goes wrong the minute your
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!cynic!curt |  conscious self meddles with it."  --GBS

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 10:56:32 PST
From: fwarner@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Frank Warner)
To: coherent
Cc: m#adfghijk
Subject: modem & UUCP

1) Can anyone running a Cardinal 2450 internal modem  as  Com2  please
advise   on   configuring   for   UUCP.   Have   tried   Hal  Snyder's
'howto.start'. Uulog says 'Dial Failed, Line Problem'.

2) Can someone please  (Hal  Snyder,Scott  Rose  ?)  post  the  weekly
/usr/spool/uucppublic/mcwnews/news        and        the       current
/usr/spool/uucppublic/downloads/Contents from the MWCBBS.

---------

Please don't flame on me for the following  observations  I  like  the
product.

Questions  3  &  4 were answered yesterday when I recieved from MWC my
notice for the Device Driver Kit and the upgrade  to  Coherent  3.1.0.
The  deadline for recieving it at the special price of $24.95 has been
moved back  to  Jan.  31/91.  I  see  that  the  ad  for  the  special
introductory  price  of  $99  is  still running. I don't know how long
this is going to go on but I may not send off for  the  upgrade  if  I
can  buy  3.9.0 in a few months for $99. The $99 price was supposed to
be in effect only until July 31, 1990!

-I  don't  know  why  but  I expected MWC to provide a bug fix with an
addenda to 3.0.0 users before going to the 3.1.0 release.

-I wish MWC had spent a little more time on  this  project  (as  if  8
years  wasn't long enough). Two more months would have made a world of
difference.

-12bit   should   have    been    an    option    within    a    16bit
compress/uncompress/zcat.  It  almost  seems that because MWC does all
their development on a system  running  Coherent  they  are  a  little
behind the times when it comes to the real world.

-I hope MWC hired a proofreader for their new manual.

-Coherent  has been touted as a good inexpensive way to learn UNIX but
MWC did not include the 'LEARN' scripts. I guess thats  how  they  got
the system onto four disks instead of five.

-----------

5) Has anyone ever recieved 'Technical Support' by mail?

------------------------------

Date: 18 Dec 90 12:44:52
From: mhm!hamid (Mohd H. Misnan)
To: uop!coherent
Subject: re:modem & UUCP

[stuff deleted]

5) Has anyone ever recieved 'Technical Support' by mail?

   Never! I have sent an e-mail to Technical Support regarding my
   installation problems but never received any reply. I also
   supplied all the requested information, my phone number and my
   registration number in my e-mail. No more comments!

   Hamid

+---------------------------+-------------------------------------+

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 15:47:40 EST
From: msdc!esa@uunet.UU.NET (Esa T. Ahola)
To: coherent
Subject: uux

Coherent's uux, when creating the command file and data file to be
copied to the remote system, creates a C.* file that looks similar to:

    S D.cycloneX0195 X.cycloneX0195 root - D.cycloneX0195 0666
    S D.cyclonea0196 D.cyclonea0196 root - D.cyclonea0196 0666

		     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ note these two

If this was a transfer of mail, the X.* file would contain the "rmail"
command for the remote site's uuxqt, and the D.* file would contain the
message text.

I firmly believe that the X.* file should be sent AFTER the D.* file(s).
All other UUCPs I know about send the uuxqt command file (X.*) last, for
good reasons.  When all goes well, the order doesn't matter.  But...

Examples of how Coherent's X-before-D causes problems:

- Transfer of the X.* file succeeds but the transfer of the D.* file fails
  (lost connection, whatever).  Result:  uuxqt (Coherent's or anybody
  elses) attempts to execute the orphan X.* which references a D.* that
  is not there.  Once executed, the X.* is deleted and thus cannot be
  recovered even if the D.* file is resent (which it typically will be).
  Result in the mail example:  lost mail.  Not a good thing.

- It is not safe to execute uuxqt while an incoming UUCP transfer is
  running, for the same reason -- it might find and X.* file without
  the corresponding D.* file (files are transferred to a temp file, and
  at the end of the transfer, moved into whatever name was requested).

  And you don't necessarily have control over this: If you are running two
  incoming UUCP transfers, each from a Coherent system, whichever completes
  first is going to run uuxqt and attempt to execute the X.* files already
  created by the other UUCP -- and the last one may not have its D.* file
  there yet.  Besides, it's convenient to be able to run uuxqt in the
  middle of a long transfer to, say, receive mail or news that have already
  been transferred.

Important point:  The creation of the X.* file on the remote system
*after* all associated data files have been transferred makes the
transfer of the group of files nice and atomic -- when you see the X.*,
you know they're all there.

Sending the X.* file last never causes probles, while sending it first
might.  I have seen it cause problems like the two examples above, so
my interest in getting it fixed is purely selfish. :-)

And best of all, the fix to uux is trivial and breaks no existing
semantics.

Comments, anyone (MWC and UUCP gurus in particular)?

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 14:47:19 SET
From: Roger Thijs <RTHIJS@BANUFS11.BitNet>
To: Scott <rose>, ghicks@WSMR-Simtel20.Army.mil, red-ug@hearn.BitNet, coherent
Subject: PD Software for Coherent

Actually, or don't I see it well, PD software for Coherent is dispersed
over several sites:
- main site for real PD software (I think):
  piggy.ucsb.edu
- site for upgrades by mwc, as far as I know:
  only the MWC bulletin board
  cfr.:
    Date: 15 Dec 90 01:05:55
    From: md386!mark@uunet.UU.NET (Mark E. Davidson)
    To: coherent@cs.wisc.edu
    Please note that I still had a few problems with the mail package
    that was shipped with the 3.1 update disk.The mwcbbs system has an
    updated version of uux and uuxqt.

Questions:
1. Can the updates by mwc also be made available somewhere on internet?
2. Is coherent still not popular enough to get its PD software also be
   archived at Simtel. (I mean after the actual housing problems are
   solved). Simtel is outstandingly assisted by trickle servers for
   file distribution over bitnet in Europe.

Thanks for the consideration,
Roger Thijs
Antwerp UFSIA University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 17:22:34 PST
From: curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson)
To: coherent
Subject: Technical Support via Mail

hamid%mhm.UUCP@cs.wisc.edu (Mohd H. Misnan) writes:

> 5) Has anyone ever recieved 'Technical Support' by mail?
>
>    Never! I have sent an e-mail to Technical Support regarding my
>    installation problems but never received any reply. I also
>    supplied all the requested information, my phone number and my
>    registration number in my e-mail. No more comments!

I've phoned telephone support only once, but the person on the other
end was very helpful.  I've sent mail to mwc!support@uunet.uu.net
twice now.  The first time I got a reply back fairly quickly giving me
the information I needed.  I haven't recieved any reply to my second
note, but it may be too soon to tell (I sent it Sunday evening).  I've
also received notes from them regarding a couple of my postings here.
They seem to be a fairly responsive lot, generally.

cjs
                                 | "And if you fight and if you fail, don't
curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca          |  fall back into yourself.  You can fall
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!cynic!curt |  back on me."  --Camper Van Beethoven

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 17:18:47 PST
From: curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson)
To: coherent

fwarner@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Frank Warner) writes:

> 2) Can someone please  (Hal  Snyder,Scott  Rose  ?)  post  the  weekly
> /usr/spool/uucppublic/mcwnews/news        and        the       current
> /usr/spool/uucppublic/downloads/Contents from the MWCBBS.

I would really appreciate it if someone would do this as well.

> -12bit   should   have    been    an    option    within    a    16bit
> compress/uncompress/zcat.  It  almost  seems that because MWC does all
> their development on a system  running  Coherent  they  are  a  little
> behind the times when it comes to the real world.

I would rather have 12 bit as the default, at least for the moment.
There are a few good reasons for this.  It certainly doesn't break
anything, as anybody with the standard UNIX 16 bit uncompress can
uncompress 12 bit stuff with no problem whatsoever (as a matter of
fact, they won't even notice that it's 12 bit).  Under Coherent the 12
bit compress is significantly faster than the 16 bit compress,
especially when one uses a workfile rather than /dev/ram1.  Using
/dev/ram1 can be very dangerous, as there doesn't seem to be any
locking on it.  If you uncompress two 16 bit files simultaneously,
they both try to use /dev/ram1 and corrupt the output, but generate
not error notices.  This is quite serious in the light of the fact
that "uncompress file.Z" will delete the compressed version when it is
done!  We obviously need some sort of locking scheme for the /dev/ram*
devices.  Does the ioctl that denys a second open of a file work on
those?

> -I hope MWC hired a proofreader for their new manual.

There were a few mistakes in it, but it didn't seem too bad to me.  Of
more concern was the large amount of information that seems to be
missing.  For example, nowhere can I find a mention of the special
characters used in the script section of L.sys.  Does anybody know how
to make it send a break signal?

> -Coherent  has been touted as a good inexpensive way to learn UNIX but
> MWC did not include the 'LEARN' scripts. I guess thats  how  they  got
> the system onto four disks instead of five.

There is a lot of stuff that's not included with Coherent.  I'd really
like to see tbl, myself.  Hopefully they will appear eventually.

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 14:11:51 SET
From: Roger Thijs <RTHIJS@BANUFS11.BitNet>
To: coherent
Subject: Looking for do's and don't's

I'm preparing myself for giving a very brief intro about coherent
here at this university in the second week of januari.
Point is: I have to install on a Toshiba with 720 k drive and HD
(giving it's output to a barco projector)
and can only do the intallation the day before.

My coherent came on 1.2 Mb discettes. I have (on my 386sx clone)
a 1.2 Mb for a: drive and
a 1.4 Mb for b: drive.

So I plan to make 720K discettes on my b: drive that will allow me
to install the system on the Toshiba HD.
(It's a one hour demo, so I don't think mwc will object
for a 60 min second intallment; it even could be good publicity
- when it works)

I need to make at least one 720K discette bootable, and I'm wondering
if I can -without problems- transfer and use the "begin etc." install
program, on the 72O K discette as it comes from the 1.2 Mb
original discettes.

I appreciate all good advice and I'm looking forward
for suggestios, do's and don't's.

Thanks and regards,

Roger Thijs,
Antwerp UFSIA University

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 10:00:32 EST
From: john@ctc.contel.com (John Schettino  x4156)
To: coherent
Subject: Re:  Looking for do's and don't's

	>From RTHIJS@BANUFS11.BitNet Wed Dec 19 09:31:20 1990
	>From: Roger Thijs <RTHIJS@BANUFS11.BitNet>
	>Subject: Looking for do's and don't's
	>To: coherent@cs.wisc.edu
	>
	>I'm preparing myself for giving a very brief intro about coherent
	>here at this university in the second week of januari.
	>Point is: I have to install on a Toshiba with 720 k drive and HD
	>(giving it's output to a barco projector)
	>and can only do the intallation the day before.

I assume you have a toshiba which supports external floppies... if so, then you might want to consider
tracking down an external 1.2mb 5 1/4" floppy drive and using that to do the install. The ESIX unix
system also only comes on 1.2mb disks, and when we installed it on our 5200 toshiba it required the
use of an external drive. no problem, really, just hook up the drive (and set it as drive A "just in case"
coherent is dependent on that) and then install as usual. This is a safe "fall back" position if none
of the gurus on the list have any better ideas.

- john schettino (john@ctc.contel.com)

------------------------------

No subject field?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 09:05:15 -0600
From: "Predrag S. Bundalo" <pred@iitmax.iit.edu>
To: coherent

	Is anyone porting a news reader to Coherent (Esa?)?  If not,
	I'd be willing to write a simplified version of "rn".

	-Pred

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 14:40:17 SET
From: Roger Thijs <RTHIJS@BANUFS11.BitNet>
To: coherent
Subject: Coherent review and small utilities in Dutch magazine

In UNIX Info, vol. 4, nr. 7, nov. 1990 I found two articles (in Dutch) about
coherent:
1. A Review:
" COHERENT: alles wat UNIX ooit was"
( COHERENT all that Unix has been once) by Andre Banen
( on pages  57, 59, 60, 61, 62 and 63)
first of a series (to be continued)
2. Sources for some utilities:
"Roots Workbench" by Gerard Bakker and Andre Banen
(on pages 40, 41, 42 and 44)

Unix Info is published by:
     Sala Communications
     Postbus 43048
     1009 ZA Amsterdam

For whom it may concern I will summarize briefly

1. The review:
The first four pages (57, 59, 60, 61) just describe the installation
problems:
- could not make diskopies of the 1.2 Mb d. with pctools nor copy IIpc
  (apparently did not try ordinary DOS diskcopy)
  made his copies with Unix S V/386 rel. 3.2
- had to correct his HD partition in CMOS
- looking for, did not find "cpio"
- forgot to declare password for root, ... missed "vi", missed
  " /etc/issue", "etc/gettydefs", "more", "less", "pg", "haltsys",
  "powerdown"
- got "fsck" hanging a couple of times when rebooting
(I'm unfair since I'm not repeating what he found, but there's
 no news in that)
(when I compare with my own installation troubles:
 - made my discettes copy protected
 - thought values in disk partition program questions were default
       values, confirmed with "enter" and made everything "0"
 - included highest cylinder in partition and got endless scan
 - did not define users when installing and found out that the
   /newuser command did not work in its abbreviated form
   as one finds it in the manual
 - had to find querty locations on my azerty keyboard
 - didn't not get my printer active (was lpt2 iso lpt1)
So when MWC markets for novice unix users they might consider
some more installation assistance I think)
Back to the review:
There is a little bit more described than just installation:
- the author was used to "vi", appreciates "me" however
- misses shell functions
- misses "echo" command (to clear screen with esc code)
- has problems with quotes when issuing shell commands
My highlights are very unfair since the author is overall
very positive, likes the manual, the commands that are in, the games
and clearly started working with it (cfr what follows).
The review will be continued in the next issue.

2. Sources
The same author plus a collegue have written some programs
for things they miss in coherent.
dirname.sh (p. 40, a script of 22 lines to complement "basename")
id.c (p. 41-42 a (+-) 175 liner in c)
unlink.c (p. 42 a 13 liner in C) for cleaning linked directories
link.c (p. 42 a 35 liner in C)
print.sh  (p. 42 a sript 10 liner using awk) for completing "echo"

The article (p. 44) ends with a call to the readers to submit
contributions. Guess what you can win if yours is the best:
guess
     ???
no
guess
     &&&
no
guess
     $$$
no
guess
    @@@
no
guess
    kkk
no
guess
    mmm
no
guess
    xxx
no
guess
    lll
no
guess
    ttt
no
guess

yes indeed

a MKS Toolkit

Regards,
Roger Thijs

------------------------------

No subject field?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 09:13:54 -0600
From: "Predrag S. Bundalo" <pred@iitmax.iit.edu>
To: coherent

	To anyone who might know something about the clam shell internals:

	I am running clam for a user on my system which works fine except
	when the user logs in on an ADM5 terminal.  I have the termcap
	definition set up for the terminal and it seems to work fine when
	I use MicroEMACS on it.  Yes, the user does set the term variable.
	The problem is that for each key pressed, clam echos the character
	typed and then
	an apostrophe followed by a number (beginning with 1 and incremented
	everytime a key is pressed).

	For instance, if the user types "who" the following is printed:

$ w'1h'2o'3

	(and then the actual "who" output)

	Any tips on how I should go about fixing this problem?

	-Pred

  Predrag S. Bundalo                  Internet: pred@iitmax.iit.edu
  Illinois Institute of Technology    Internet: SysPredrag@Karl.iit.edu
  Academic Computing Center           BITNET  : SysPredrag@iitVax