[comp.os.misc] Coherent Digest Vol. 90.4, No. 4

rose@galtee.cs.wisc.edu (Scott M. Rose) (12/23/90)

Coherent Digest Vol. 90.4, No. 4      Sun Dec 23 09:47:21 CST 1990

Today's Topics:

   More MGR/etc
   re: Help on i-number
   alt.sources.coherent
   alt.sources.coherent
   UUCP Control Codes
   MWC Support
   MWC e-mail tech support
   Coherent386?
   386BSD
   (none)
   News Reader
   re: uux
   re: Coherent review and small utilities in Dutch magazine
   How to auto mount a file system?
   piggy??
   multi
   dev, what is it really??
   s..l..o..w serial ports
   Re: dev, what is it really??
   Site locked?

Administrivia:

  The Coherent Digest is a forum for discussion of the MWC Coherent 3.x
  operating system.  Send submissions to "coherent@cs.wisc.edu" and
  administrivia to "coherent-reqeust@cs.wisc.edu".  Previous issues are
  archived for anonymous FTP access on piggy.ucsb.edu in the directory
  "pub/coherent/mail-list".

Date: Wed Dec 19 21:28:33 1990
From: Bill Henning <bhenning@bhami.wimsey.bc.ca>
To: coherent
Subject: More MGR/etc

The minix FTP site

> bugs.nosc.mil              128.49.0.1     Minix archive

has some interesting software that might port fairly easily to Coherent...
things like Karn's TC/IP for minix, and the diffs to convert the xenix
port of MGR to run under minix.

If anyone is looking for a good project, a socket library would be extremely
useful... MGR needs it, and other packages could use it too. (I personally
would use it to compile dnet to let me network my Amiga with my PC).

A shared graphics library would be a good idea too... MGR may be a nice small
windowing system, but it would not be blazingly fast for graphics - it seems
to handle graphics commands by sending an escape code followed by an ascii
string to the server - so for example, to plot a line one would send something
like <CSI><LINEDRAW>100,100,200,300<CR> which would be >=18 bytes, taking
about 1msec even at 19.2kbps. This does not matter as much if the server is
running on the same machine as the client program(s).

How about creating alt.sources.coherent ? The archive on piggy is great, but
having a sources group would be handy. The mailing list is not really
appropriate for distributing sources/binaries, but alt groups would do so
quite nicely. As for alt not reaching everywhere, archives could be kept
of alt.sources.coherent at FTP and/or mail server sites.

(btw: I like the fast turn-around of the mailing list for messages)

--
+-----------+----------------------------------------------------------------+
| Amiga//   |   UUCP: bhenning@bhami.wimsey.bc.ca /* preferred address */    |

------------------------------

Date: 18 Dec 90 18:58:36
From: mwc!norm@uunet.UU.NET (Norman Bartek)
To: cohmail@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: support@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: re: Help on i-number

> Date: 17 Dec 90 20:04:02
> From: uunet!cs.wisc.edu!root%mhm.UUCP (Mohd H. Misnan)
> To: coherent@uop.edu
> Subject: Help on i-number
>
> Hi,
> 	Can someone figure out on how to solve this annoying message
> Phase 1: Check Blocks and Sizes
> Possible File Size Error i-number = 1447  <-------
> 	Do I need to use dcheck,ncheck or icheck? If I do, do I need to
> make Coherent in single user or multi-user?

The "file size error" is only a warning and can be ignored in almost all cases.
If you're dieing to know the name of the file, enter:

	ncheck -i 1447 /dev/name_of_partition

and it will print all filenames that correspond to that i-node relative to
the start of the partition.  You can run this command either in single- or
multi-user mode since it only reads the disk.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 23:45:57 PST
From: curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson)
To: coherent
Subject: alt.sources.coherent

Bill Henning <bhenning@bhami.wimsey.bc.ca> writes:

> How about creating alt.sources.coherent ? The archive on piggy is great, but
> having a sources group would be handy. The mailing list is not really
> appropriate for distributing sources/binaries, but alt groups would do so
> quite nicely. As for alt not reaching everywhere, archives could be kept
> of alt.sources.coherent at FTP and/or mail server sites.

This sounds like a reasonably nifty idea to me?  What do other people
out there think about this?  Email and I will summarise.

cjs
                                 | "And if you fight and if you fail, don't
curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca          |  fall back into yourself.  You can fall
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!cynic!curt |  back on me."  --Camper Van Beethoven

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Dec 90 09:06:39 EST
From: bond!clark@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Dayton Clark)
To: cynic.wimsey.bc.ca!curt@cmcl2.NYU.EDU
Cc: coherent

> > having a sources group would be handy. The mailing list is not really
> > appropriate for distributing sources/binaries, but alt groups would do so
> > quite nicely. As for alt not reaching everywhere, archives could be kept
> > of alt.sources.coherent at FTP and/or mail server sites.

I like the idea.

dayton

------------------------------

Date: 20 Dec 90 09:50:59
From: mwc!hal@uunet.UU.NET (Hal Snyder)
To: cohmail@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: UUCP Control Codes

Here is a list of control codes supported by COHERENT uucp 3.0.0 & 3.1.0
in the chat script section of /usr/lib/uucp/L.sys:

notation	meaning
--------	-------
""		expect a null string
\b		send backspace
\c		if send string ends with \c, suppress newline after send string
\d		delay 1 second while sending
\n		send newline
\r		send carriage return
\s		send a space
\t		send tab

The usual form of a chat script is a sequence of pairs
	expect send
in which the action is to wait for the "expect" string, and on receiving it,
to send the "send" string followed by a newline.

Optionally, an entry may take the form
	expect-subsend-subexpect send
where "subsend" is a possibly empty string, enclosed in hyphens, to be sent
if the "expect" string is NOT received.  For example,
	ogin:--ogin: nuucp
waits for "ogin:";  if this string is not received, a newline is sent and
the system waits for "ogin:" again.  If "ogin: is received either time, "nuucp"
is sent followed by a newline.

BREAK.  We are planning to add BREAK to the list of special "send" tokens.
UUCP and mail are still undergoing overhaul.  As soon as BREAK is supported,
we will post the revised bits on mwcbbs and notify this mailing list.

Mark Williams Tech. Support		(708)-291-6700 (voice)
uunet!mwc!support			(708)-291-6750 (fax)

------------------------------

Date: 20 Dec 90 10:54:31
From: mwc!hal@uunet.UU.NET (Hal Snyder)
To: cohmail.suppt@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: MWC Support

We on the Mark Williams technical support staff try to respond promptly to
all inquiries, whether by voice telephone, fax, email, or ordinary mail.

Sometimes we receive email from a customer but find that our reply message
is undeliverable.  We recommend that you include fax or voice phone number,
or mail address, when emailing questions to MWC technical support.

Date: Thu, 20 Dec 90 13:23:38 EST
From: msdc!esa@uunet.UU.NET (Esa T. Ahola)
To: coherent
Subject: MWC e-mail tech support

For the record, MWC tech support has always replied to my e-mail inquiries
(mostly correct answers too :-)

--
Esa Ahola           esa@msdc.com      uunet!msdc!esa        CIS:70012,2753
Medical Systems Development Corporation (MsdC), Atlanta GA  (404) 589-3368

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Dec 90 15:21:24 -0600
From: "Predrag S. Bundalo" <pred@iitmax.iit.edu>
To: coherent
Subject: Coherent386?

	Does anyone know if MWC is in the process of writing Coherent386?
	As someone else has said earlier, this prospect makes my mouth
	water!

	-Pred

  Predrag S. Bundalo                  Internet: pred@iitmax.iit.edu
  Illinois Institute of Technology    Internet: SysPredrag@Karl.iit.edu
  Academic Computing Center           BITNET  : SysPredrag@iitVax
  VAX/VMS and Unix Systems Staff      Internet: pred@elof.iit.edu
  Chicago, Illinois

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Dec 90 15:28:19 -0600
From: "Predrag S. Bundalo" <pred@iitmax.iit.edu>
To: coherent
Subject: 386BSD

>[stuff deleted]

>5:  The latest issue of Dr. Dobbs Journal describes the porting of BSD UNIX
>    4.3 Tahoe to the 386.  The sources will be available free via FTP.  What
>    does anyone think about that?

>-mike begley
>begley@forest.ecil.iastate.edu

	I think that's *wonderful* (I was actually thinking about doing
	it myself someday)!!

	I'd love it if you'd post anymore information you have on it, Mike.

Date:         Thu, 20 Dec 90 16:46:49 EST
From: David Onder <SESPC369@YSUB.YSU.EDU>
To: coherent
Subject: none

I would like to be placed on the digest list since I only get to  this terminal
 about twice a week right now.  I would also like to receive any information I
can get on the Unix operating system since I am a new user to Unix.  I would ap
preciate, also, any information I can get on the current debate about alt and c
omp lists.   I  have no understanding of this at all.  Thank You!

David M. Onder  :-)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Dec 90 17:30:17 EST
From: msdc!esa@uunet.UU.NET (Esa T. Ahola)
To: coherent
Subject: News Reader

Hmmm... looks like a can of worms here.  Where's that can opener...

> 	Is anyone porting a news reader to Coherent (Esa?)?

Affirmative.  Stay tuned for more news (pun intended).

Time to break for the holidays.  Have a merry one, everyone.

Date: 20 Dec 90 11:31:06
From: mwc!norm@uunet.UU.NET (Norman Bartek)
To: cohmail@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: mark.support@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: re: uux

> From: uunet!msdc!esa (Esa T. Ahola)
> Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 15:47:40 EST
> To: coherent@cs.wisc.edu
> Subject: uux
>
> Coherent's uux, when creating the command file and data file to be
> copied to the remote system, creates a C.* file that looks similar to:
>
>   . . . . . .
>
> Sending the X.* file last never causes probles, while sending it first
> might.  I have seen it cause problems like the two examples above, so
> my interest in getting it fixed is purely selfish. :-)
>
> And best of all, the fix to uux is trivial and breaks no existing
> semantics.
>
> Comments, anyone (MWC and UUCP gurus in particular)?

We're working on it as part of the next version of uux. I'll post something to
the mailing list as soon as bits are available on mwcbbs.

------------------------------

Date: 20 Dec 90 11:55:34
From: mwc!norm@uunet.UU.NET (Norman Bartek)
To: cohmail@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: hal@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: re: Coherent review and small utilities in Dutch magazine

> Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 14:40:17 SET
> From: Roger Thijs <uunet!BANUFS11.BitNet!RTHIJS>
> Subject: Coherent review and small utilities in Dutch magazine
> To: coherent@cs.wisc.edu
>
> In UNIX Info, vol. 4, nr. 7, nov. 1990 I found two articles (in Dutch) about
> coherent:
> 1. A Review:
> " COHERENT: alles wat UNIX ooit was"

Roger,

Why did the reviewer review release 3.0 when 3.1 has been available for almost
two months already. We even shipped out "Beta" releases of 3.1 to the various
magazine reviewers in order for them to have bits in time to do the review.
3.1 includes 'cpio' as well as 'vi', fixes quite a few of the problems that
the reviewer mentioned, and even comes on write protected floppies that can be
duplicated using 'dd' or any other disk copy program (COHERENT is NOT copy
protected).  As far as the printer problems go, 3.1 prints a test page out to
the printer to verify that you selected the correct port.

We are continually trying to improve our products and will take a close look
at the review.  Thanks for posting it to the mailing list.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Dec 90 13:58:42 CST
From: rosevax.rosemount.com!grante%rutgers.UUCP@spool.cs.wisc.edu (Grant B. Edwards)
To: coherent@spool.cs.wisc.edu
Subject: How to auto mount a file system?

I just added a second hard drive to my coherent system -- which took a
few false starts since my BIOS doesn't support the right drive type,
but that's another story.  (I did call MWC tech support, they were
very helpful and returned my call within an hour.)

My question is what is the preferred way to have the new file system
mounted when the system boots?  Is there something akin to BSD's
/etc/fstab file that tells the system what file systems to mount at
boot time?  As far as I can tell there isn't -- the two files
/etc/mtab and /etc/mnttab are binary files that are used by various
utilities to keep track of things.

Should I edit /etc/brc and put mount and fsck commands in for the new
file system?

There must be _somebody_ out there with more that one file system,
what do _you_ do?

BTW:	The alt group for sources sounds like a good idea if you can
	talk somebody into becoming an archive site.

                                  Grant Edwards
Rosemount Inc, CB7                                            He who dies with
12001 Technology Drive      grante@hydro.rosemount.com        the most manuals
Eden Prairie, MN  55344    uunet!rosemount!hydro!grante       wins.

------------------------------

Date: 21 Dec 90 16:47:32 EST
From: Larry Rachman <74066.2004@CompuServe.COM>
To: <coherent>
Subject: piggy??

In reading the echo/digest, I've come across several references to PD
software available from a machine called piggy.

Where is this piggy machine?? How do I access it? I currently have email
access only to the net via compuserve, so ftp is something unknown to me.
Can anyone help, both in terms of a method of access, as well as a source
for a list of what's there?

                               Thanks,
                                       Larry

74066.2004@compuserve.com

------------------------------

Date: 21 Dec 90 12:20:29
From: mwc!norm@uunet.UU.NET (Norman Bartek)
To: cohmail@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: support@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: multi

> Date: Thu, 20 Dec 90 13:58:42 CST
> From: uunet!cs.wisc.edu!rosevax.rosemount.com!grante%rutgers.UUCP (Grant B. Edwards)
> To: coherent@cs.wisc.edu
> Subject: How to auto mount a file system?
>
> I just added a second hard drive to my coherent system -- which took a
> few false starts since my BIOS doesn't support the right drive type,
> but that's another story.  (I did call MWC tech support, they were
> very helpful and returned my call within an hour.)
>
> My question is what is the preferred way to have the new file system
> mounted when the system boots?  Is there something akin to BSD's
> /etc/fstab file that tells the system what file systems to mount at
> boot time?  As far as I can tell there isn't -- the two files
> /etc/mtab and /etc/mnttab are binary files that are used by various
> utilities to keep track of things.
>
> Should I edit /etc/brc and put mount and fsck commands in for the new
> file system?

If you are running COHERENT 3.1.0, simply add lines to /etc/checklist
corresponding to the device names for any COHERENT partitions on your new disk.

Add lines to /etc/mount.all corresponding to any filesystems that you want
mounted. For example,

	/etc/mount /dev/at1b /usr/spool
	/etc/mount /dev/at1c /usr/archives -r

If you are still running 3.0.0, you can add lines to the /etc/rc file to
do the same as above.

------------------------------

Date: 22 Dec 90 07:20:35 EST
From: Larry Rachman <74066.2004@CompuServe.COM>
To: <coherent>
Subject: dev, what is it really??

I've painted myself into a rather interesting corner, which I thought I'd
post here before giving up completely and reformatting the hard disk.

I seem to somehow have clobbered one or two of the entries in /dev that deal
with the COM ports. When I enter 'kill quit 1' to reinitialize, I get the
message
               /etc/init: cannot open /dev/com1l

a directory of /dev yields the conspicuous absence of /dev/com1l. (Its
buddies com1r, com1pl, and com1pr are, in fact, still there.

I am very much a Unix novice, and am now somewhat confused about the
distinction between the _stored code that describes a device_ (as is stored
in a disk file), and the _installed code that runs a device_, as device
independant I/O talks to; eg:

    cp /scratch/foo /dev/lp

sends foo to the printer; it does not copy it to the new disk file /dev/lp

Anyway, when I attempt to 'restore' the 'file' /dev/com1 from release disk
#2, using
               cp /f0/dev/com1l /dev/com1l

the console hangs until I enter ^C.

Obviously, I'm experiencing a misunderstanding on some fundamental level,
but I haven't the foggiest idea as to how or what. Can someone come to my
aid with an explaination of what's going on, and/or a way to recover com1l?

                                       Thanks, LR

------------------------------

Date: 22 Dec 90 14:21:42 EST
From: Larry Rachman <74066.2004@CompuServe.COM>
To: <coherent>
Subject: s..l..o..w serial ports

Someone else mentioned this, but I don't remember what (or if a) solution
was posted.

When releasing a port from kermit, communication on that port (com2r)
becomes very sluggish. The characters come at the appropriate data rate (in
this case 19,200), but they trickle out at the equivalent of about 50 bps.

When I wink DTR, the port resends the login message, as it should, but at
the slow rate. If I wink DTR __while the login message is printing__, the
port immediately reverts back to proper (full speed) operation.

What's going on???
                                       -lr

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Dec 90 13:01:02 PST
From: curt@cynic.wimsey.bc.ca (Curt Sampson)
To: coherent
Subject: Re: dev, what is it really??

Larry Rachman <74066.2004@CompuServe.COM> writes:

> a directory of /dev yields the conspicuous absence of /dev/com1l. (Its
> buddies com1r, com1pl, and com1pr are, in fact, still there.
>
> I am very much a Unix novice, and am now somewhat confused about the
> distinction between the _stored code that describes a device_ (as is stored
> in a disk file), and the _installed code that runs a device_, as device
> independant I/O talks to; eg:
>
>     cp /scratch/foo /dev/lp
>
> sends foo to the printer; it does not copy it to the new disk file /dev/lp

Actually, there is nothing stored on the disk except the filename
itself and the i-node (which contains the permissions, major and minor
device numbers, and the like).  When you copy something to /dev/lp the
os looks at the i-node, says to itself "Oh, silly me!  That's not a
file, that's a device."  It then grabs the major and minor device
numbers and calls the appropriate device driver (which is in the
kernal code either because it was compiled or built that way or it was
loaded from the /drv directory).

> Anyway, when I attempt to 'restore' the 'file' /dev/com1 from release disk
> #2, using
>                cp /f0/dev/com1l /dev/com1l
>
> the console hangs until I enter ^C.

What happens here is that again, the system looks at the file and says
"that's not a file, that's a device..."

The way to fix this is to first su to root.  Then you can use the
program /etc/mknod to create a new "special file," that is, a new
device.  A perusal of the manual (look under "com" and "com1" in the
Lexicon) will tell you that com1l is a character device, its major
device number is 5, and its minor device number is 128.  So, you just
have to type

        /etc/mknod /dev/com1l c 5 128

That will recreate your lost com1l special file.  The same thing goes
for any special file.

Date: 22 Dec 90 18:17:06 EST
From: Larry Rachman <74066.2004@CompuServe.COM>
To: <coherent>
Subject: Site locked?

When I attempt a uucico connection to mwcbbs, nothing happens.
The error message 'Site locked' is appended to the uulog. I can't seem to
find it in the manual. Any guesses??

End of Coherent Digest Vol. 90.4, No. 4
--
	Scott Rose