[comp.os.misc] printers and modems

joachim@jrix.radig.de (Joachim Riedel) (01/01/91)

Tim buck <TIMBUCK@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU> writes:

>Another question:  How do I initialize a modem for dial-in access?  I
>can dial out using kermit, and it answers when I dial in, but it doesn't
>respond once it answers.

Choose a device with modem control, like com2r
This device should appear in /etc/ttys with the correct speed for your
modem:  like     1rLcom2r
The device has to be enabled, otherwise there is no getty and you can't
dialin.
You should send the following AT-Sequence to your modem:
          ATQ1S0=1
This disables echoing of response codes. Maybe you also need ATE0.
This lines you should also write in /etc/modemcap (reinitializing after
uucp) to assure that the modem is always in the right modes.
If echoing is not disabled getty enters an endless loop.

That should help

Joachim

Joachim Riedel                           joachim@jrix.radig.de
Geschwister-Scholl-Strasse 48