[comp.os.misc] Plan 9

bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (10/06/90)

In article <14576@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt0178a@prism.gatech.EDU (Jim Burns) writes:
>What are the best relatively tutorial (as opposed to bare-bones
>specifications) materials on Plan9? Also, would anyone care to post a short
>summary of its goals and concepts?

First off, as stated in the UnixWorld article (10/90,
p.61), Plan 9 is _not_ UNIX; it also appears it's going to
be the next big thing in hackyland, so it will no doubt get
lots of net bandwidth.  So I'd look into getting a group
for it and avoiding clogging this one (which is already
schizo from the comp.unix.* identity crisis).

Meanwhile, let's do this over in comp.misc and/or comp.os.misc.

Anyone want to drive the discussion/vote process?

				--Blair
				  "Me?  Politics?  Naah."

lennox@berlin-gw.diag.stratus.com (Craig Scott Lennox) (01/02/91)

Lately I've been hearing mention of a new operating system from Bell
Labs called "Plan 9".  Could someone here provode some information
about it?

--
|              ---> flame me at: lennox@stratus.com <---                    |
|   Craig Lennox - Stratus Computer Corporation - Marlboro, Massachusetts   |

jerry@altos86.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (01/03/91)

In article <LENNOX.91Jan1134855@berlin-gw.diag.stratus.com> lennox@stratus.com writes:

}Lately I've been hearing mention of a new operating system from Bell
}Labs called "Plan 9".  Could someone here provode some information
}about it?

See the January 1991 issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal.

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway

kevinb@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Kevin Boyes) (01/04/91)

In article <LENNOX.91Jan1134855@berlin-gw.diag.stratus.com> lennox@stratus.com writes:

>Lately I've been hearing mention of a new operating system from Bell
>Labs called "Plan 9".  Could someone here provode some information
>about it?

I have a bit of information on Plan 9, but am also interested in hearing
more.

There is a short (2 page) article in the October 1990 issue of Unix World.
I also have a paper written by Rob Pike, Dave Presotto, Ken Thompson, and
Howard Trickey that I downloaded from some site (sorry I can't remember
which one).  Hopefully someone else knows where it came from and can help.

I found this paper very interesting, but it was missing the Reference
section (the title was there).

Hope this helps a bit.

					Kevin

Kevin Boyes                                     kevinb@maccs.dcss.McMaster.CA
McMaster University                         ...!uunet!utai!utgpu!maccs!kevinb

mh@roger.imsd.contel.com (Mike Hoegeman) (01/05/91)

In article <LENNOX.91Jan1134855@berlin-gw.diag.stratus.com> lennox@stratus.com writes:
>Lately I've been hearing mention of a new operating system from Bell
>Labs called "Plan 9".  Could someone here provode some information
>about it?

the latest doctor dobbs issue has an article on plan 9.

tim@delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) (01/07/91)

The highlight at UK Unix User Group summer conference in 1990 was Plan 9.
There were papers by Rob Pike, Tom Duff, Dennis Ritchie etc....
I believe you can order the proceedings from the UKUUG/Europen at Owles
Hall, Buntingford, Hertfordshire, SG9 9PL, Endland.

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim@dell.co.uk